• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

when do you wear a trench coat?

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, Ive been thinking about purchasing either a trench coat (burberry
redface.gif
) or a black leather jacket. As Im a young guy, either is a very large investment. The only negative I can think about of the trench coat, is how much use Ill get out of it. Thats why Im asking those of you who own such a piece, how often do you wear it? What times of the year is it an inappropriate piece? Any help is welcome!
Cheers;
L.R.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
well I can tell you the one time I don't wear it: when it rains

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only wear one when I have nothing on underneath, and usually to work or a dark movie theater.

stylemaven

Reaction score
I have one of the newer burberry trenches - slim or slim 19 I believe...

I get tons of wear out of it, although I'm most often reaching for the coat to cope with rain.

Living in london ... that is frequently!

I'm in the market for a good leather jacket as well, so I can't really provide a conclusive answer to your question.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I think its going to rain...
Is this a trick question?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I want to dress up as
Trenchcoat = private detective
Black leather jacker = a greaser biker, possibly a pilot.

I wear a trench coat when it looks like it is going to rain, or when it is too cool to go without a coat of some kind but a woollen coat is over the top. They are a pretty good coat for spring and early autumn wear.
I would go for the trench coat but wouldn't bother with a burberry unless you can get one at a good sale price, if you look around I am sure you can find a reasonable priced trench coat, and then maybe you can get both.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Rain or trench coat appropriate weather (varies by trench).

what would be appropriate weather? tsunami?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only wear my trench when it looks like it's going to rain, or actually is raining, and I'm wearing some dress trouser. I find that trenchs look odd with jeans and other more casual pants...

Nexus6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
Hi, Ive been thinking about purchasing either a trench coat (burberry
redface.gif
) or a black leather jacket. As Im a young guy, either is a very large investment. The only negative I can think about of the trench coat, is how much use Ill get out of it. Thats why Im asking those of you who own such a piece, how often do you wear it? What times of the year is it an inappropriate piece? Any help is welcome! Cheers; L.R.

Look throught their website: http://www.burberryusaonline.com/fam...430&cp=2119967 Let's do some simple math. Take an example of a $1,000.00 investment for a Burberry Trenchcoat. Typically, you'll have the coat for 8-10 years. I don't know where you live, so I can't say how many times/per/year you will need a trench. Perhaps you would wear the coat also for style purposes (example: on an overcast day no rain). Let's say roughly 20 wearings per year, ...times 10 years (as an example), for a total of 200 wearings over a 10 year period. Divide $1,000.00 by 10 (year life-span) That is $100.00 per year. Take $100.00 and divide by 20 (wearings per year) That equals $5.00 per wearing. In conclusion..is it not worth $5.00 per wearing for you to own a Burberry Trenchcoat?
smile.gif
The important issues are thusly: 1) What is your lifestyle? Be mindful of your surroundings, and people you hang with and places you go to. You can never leave that coat un-attended, because it will get stolen. 2) What length are you considering? Current 'trends' say 'just above the knee', which is playing the 'fashion game'. You may not even be guaranteed a full 10 years that way. Whereas, the conservative and un-changing length of 'just below the knee', will never 'go out of style', no matter what other lengths come and go. Were it myself, I would incline towards the conservative 'just at -or- below the knee' length. After all, its a rain coat, and should cover the body against rain. But your choice will depend on your own style. Personally, I have 2 Burberry. 1 Trench 1 Rain coat (MacIntosh length) If the mood strikes me, I'll wear the trench & fedora just to be dramatic on a cloudy day/evg. and the raincoat over a suit jacket for commuting to work...with umbrella ofcourse, as I take public transit everywhere. P.S. If you are not absolutely decided on Burberry, you may want to consider Aquascutum as option. There are, ofcourse, dozens more manufacturers, but these (in my opinion) are the top 2. I hope these words will help you make the decision easier. Best of luck.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When it rains or it's too warm for a topcoat but too cool to go without a coat.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I only wear my trench when it looks like it's going to rain, or actually is raining, and I'm wearing some dress trouser. I find that trenchs look odd with jeans and other more casual pants...

I feel the same way about trenches. Too dressy for casual street wear.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe City Thinker

You can wear trenches with jeans! i guess it really depends on fit and what pair of jeans.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemaven
I have one of the newer burberry trenches - slim or slim 19 I believe...

I get tons of wear out of it, although I'm most often reaching for the coat to cope with rain.

Living in london ... that is frequently!

I'm in the market for a good leather jacket as well, so I can't really provide a conclusive answer to your question.

haha, thats the exact one Im looking at. Did you get the beige or black?

Originally Posted by Shoe City Thinker

Is it really though? Ive always thought a modern cut, like the trench 19 slim, would look great for dressing up a pair of jeans or otherwise casual attire.

As for those who answered 'the rain', I know that, I was thinking more along the lines of some other peoples answers, when its too cool for no coat, yet to warm for a winter weight. Im moving to Toronto soon, and I was hoping to get some fall and early winter wear in with it as well.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a young person you are not allowed to wear a leather jacket. Unless your name is Sodapop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics