• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green - ‘Exceptional Factory Sale’

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well it's ridiculous. I could buy almost two pairs of Lobb's / C&J Handgrade from their factory shop without some sort of "Exceptional" factory sale for that price.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
Don't get too excited, just enquired and all shoes are £395. Why is it that EG think they can charge so much for second rates? If a product isn't first class, then neither should the price be IMHO. Lobb and C&J have it right, in knowing that in order to maintain their reputation they simply should not charge very much for shoes not finished to their high standard.

Wow really? That's just crazy. Oh well, they obviously get that.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't get too excited, just enquired and all shoes are £395. Why is it that EG think they can charge so much for second rates? If a product isn't first class, then neither should the price be IMHO. Lobb and C&J have it right, in knowing that in order to maintain their reputation they simply should not charge very much for shoes not finished to their high standard.

EDITED.

395 pounds for imperfect shoes and 450 for perfect (as mentioned on the AAAC thread about this) don't seem like much less than retail.

Sigh.

perhaps you should tell C&J about its prices -- selling SUBS at its seasonal sales for 250 pounds or 300 or so euros seems like "very much" to me.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
EDITED.

395 pounds for imperfect shoes and 450 for perfect (as mentioned on the AAAC thread about this) don't seem like much less than retail.

Sigh.

perhaps you should tell C&J about its prices -- selling SUBS at its seasonal sales for 250 pounds or 300 or so euros seems like "very much" to me.

You have a point about the actual "Sales" in the shops, but for those who know about the real prices of the shoes in all of the factory shops in Northampton, it's a bit insulting to say the least.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, wasn't thinking of the factory shops in Northampton as it's not so easy for us non-poms to get there...

Pax?

Anyway, I hope EG is doing OK. Portnoy, you better give them a cash infusion now that RLPL is down to ordering only dribs and drabs from them...

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Ah, wasn't thinking of the factory shops in Northampton as it's not so easy for us non-poms to get there...

Pax?

Anyway, I hope EG is doing OK. Portnoy, you better give them a cash infusion now that RLPL is down to ordering only dribs and drabs from them...

If portnoy can't make it, he can paypal me and I'll go in his place
lol8[1].gif

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did. The staff are all wonderful women, who cared for my every need and were extremely kind and welcoming.

As for the 'exceptional' part, everything that was or at least would have been exceptional was cleared out by some pleb spiv within 10 minutes, he had purchased about 20-25 pairs, of different sizes, and upon closer inspection they were all the <£120 shoes. As I was simply looking at what appeared to be shoes on a rack, in my size a pair of Belgravia loafers for £90(!), I was told by him to get off the shoes as they were his, only then did I realise that the entire rack were his purchases.

Aside from this repulsive fellow, the good part was just meeting the staff and seeing what goes on behind the scenes. It didn't look as if too many shoes were being purchased all round, and many pairs were still available when I left after roughly forty five minutes.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
so much for personal shoppers only

Exactly what I thought and I had trouble keeping comments to myself.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad I was not there, otherwise I would have introduced my fist to his jaw. People like that ruin the shopping experience.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In other news, I believe they are coming out with a women's collection.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other news, I believe they are coming out with a women's collection.

I've seen some women's pairs before. They were EG for Kurt Geiger. For all the people who hated the somewhat subtle red, blue, and green Berkeley models, these were even more hideous. They were not so subtle red, blue, and green patent leather Berkeley models. The leather was bad enough, but the thought of a woman wearing such a dowdy shoe was too much to handle. They were on sale at Harrods in January.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads