• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis lvc 501 1947 shrink-to-fit advice

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pablo-T
Batch2FL.jpg

Pablo-T, it's eerie how identical the fades you developed on these jeans. Are they all LVC? I thought the denim varies from season to season?

In any case, great work.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Pablo-T, it's eerie how identical the fades you developed on these jeans. Are they all LVC? I
Thanks, glad you like them, these were nearly all the early Lee Euro Rider reissues, with fabric from Kaihara and Nisshinbo. Great jeans, which all cost around £55. Supposedly the first few pairs were Sanforized, the next few weren't, but it made little difference to shrinkage. Like LVC, the Lee repros, both these and the Edwin-made ines, are all over the place in terms of size and shrinking. It is strange how similar they all look... I did wear them all the same, with no washing for the first six months. they are all l/h denim which seems to give a particular vintage look, and they all retain their indigo. That said, I had one pair I washed once too often & was really looking bland... so I used them as work jeans and scrubbed the floor, etc, in them for a couple of years. When my g/f washed them by accident a couple months ago (normally cause for a serious row) they turned out pretty nice. I sold them to the wonderful Beatle over on SuFu. I've sold most of these but still ahve about 3 pairs left, one raw and unwashed, the other couple on the way...
Leefrontdetail.jpg

george.white

Reaction score
Originally Posted by undarted
yeah, nice way of trying to play it off...you're too cool for school, laughing at us for wasting our time, while spending plenty of time talking about this. Oh what, you're a professional myth debunker?
HAHAHA,

kit99bar

Reaction score
laugh.gif
he seriously picked the wrong guy to argue denim with.

Originally Posted by george.white
HAHAHA, Paul has written a book on denim what have you done?

undarted

Reaction score
Let me be clear, I posted this thread because I SOUGHT ADVICE.

I don't give a **** if he wrote a book. Paris Hilton wrote a book. I haven't read his book, but what makes him an authority? Does he have a background in chemistry or is he very experienced in the textile industry? That would help. If not, then I don't really give a ****, especially considering his attitude.

As far as his attack on salt and vinegar, it's a straw man argument. i never claimed salt and vinegar set the dye. As far as I'm concerned, I considered salt and vinegar as mild cleansers to take out **** added to the denim - things like starch, paraffin, and polyvinyl alcohol.

Sure you can blast that **** away with detergent, but that would bleed a lot of the indigo dye away.

And maybe salt and vinegar is used as gentle maintenance of jeans, to keep them fresh, antibacterial without bleeding the dye.

Pablo isn't considering the indirect effect of salt and vinegar on the dye - he keeps claiming they don't react much with it - but maybe that's the point. Vinegar and salt gently cleanse the jeans without stripping the indigo.

Hey I appreciate any advice, that was the point of this thread. But Pablo's is a straw man argument. And those last jeans are indeed pretty cool. I like the contrast. But again, all his jeans are showing some premature wear-and-tear, and the dreaded holes are forming in the crotch. Like I said before, all the power to him if he likes them like that.

But personally, in public I like to rock out without ******* out, so I'll continue to prioritize a balance between high contrast and durability.

allcapitan

Reaction score
I'm a real stickler for keeping my place clean. I have a nice white tub and want to keep it looking nice. Can I expect to keep it that way if I warm or hot soak my 501's for 2 to 3 hours? Or, will it leave some serious stains that require a lot of time and muscle to get rid of? Who's got some experience here?

ok1234

Reaction score
they dont really leave any stains at all...but cracks and chips in the tub tend to trap indigo

ringring

Reaction score
Originally Posted by allcapitan
I'm a real stickler for keeping my place clean. I have a nice white tub and want to keep it looking nice. Can I expect to keep it that way if I warm or hot soak my 501's for 2 to 3 hours? Or, will it leave some serious stains that require a lot of time and muscle to get rid of? Who's got some experience here?

Use the salt & vinegar to clean your tub
wink.gif

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
pablo i think its funny (not in a bad way) that all of jeans came to look the same. personally i try to do something different with each pair i own.

Fiddy

Reaction score
Have a few incoming pairs of '47's arriving tomorrow and am planning on soaking them for 2 hours in hot water, hanging them up for a while, then wearing them around the house.

Does this sound like a decent plan of attack to you guys? Anything you would add?

kit99bar

Reaction score
well the 34x34 "new" models of the 1947s was a bit too large for me even after 2 hot soaks. I just tossed them in the washer and set it to hot. I'll take them out to hand dry after before the spin cycle. Hopefully this gets the last shrinkage out. Will prob send them off to have them tapered by denim doctors too
smile.gif

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdarkeye
pablo i think its funny (not in a bad way) that all of jeans came to look the same. personally i try to do something different with each pair i own.

Seems reasonable, these were work jeans from a decade ago and at the time they were way cheaper than anything else available and I liked the way they looked raw for business meetings etc.

Originally Posted by kit99bar
well the 34x34 "new" models of the 1947s was a bit too large for me even after 2 hot soaks. I just tossed them in the washer and set it to hot. I'll take them out to hand dry after before the spin cycle. Hopefully this gets the last shrinkage out. Will prob send them off to have them tapered by denim doctors too
smile.gif

Good point which probably needs noting on SF. NEw season LVC from s/s 2009 is made in a new factroy, and is made true to size, rather than one inch under. Sizing up two inches from the tag size is now overdoing it; you need to size up by one or buy actual size.

Kt99, can you comment if the shape or anythign else has changed from previous production?

47.jpg

1947 LVC, 2006, after second wash

Chango

Reaction score
I'm about to get some 1947, but I want them to be a little relaxed. I've read that the 1947 can be slim or relaxed depending on how you size. I want a size 34X34-35 if possible. I plan to soak them to get the shrinkage out of the way. How much should I size up to get them relaxed? I have only 5ep LDZ 34/32 to go by, other than that, I wear size 34 on regular 30 dollar relaxed Levis. Based on the tag on the Levis, I was going to order a size 36x38.

DocHunter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pablo-T
Seems reasonable, these were work jeans from a decade ago and at the time they were way cheaper than anything else available and I liked the way they looked raw for business meetings etc.

Good point which probably needs noting on SF. NEw season LVC from s/s 2009 is made in a new factroy, and is made true to size, rather than one inch under. Sizing up two inches from the tag size is now overdoing it; you need to size up by one or buy actual size.

Kt99, can you comment if the shape or anythign else has changed from previous production?

47.jpg

1947 LVC, 2006, after second wash

Pablo, I'm about to order a pair of LVC 47s probably from Cultizm which I assume has the latest production of the line. What's the standard inseam shrinkage for these jeans?

kit99bar

Reaction score
Pablo, my 34x34 1947s are indeed 2009 models from the new factory as they have the 4170 on the back of the top button.

after two 1 hr hotsoaks they only went down to a 33x32. Now after a hot wash and another hr hotsoak they measure 32x31.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads