• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Egg Chair

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experiences with current production egg chairs from DWR or Hive Modern? Should I look for a used/vintage one instead?

Another question: are there other egg or womb chair inspired designs I should look at, that are also comfortable?

The_Egg_Chair.jpg

ecwoman.jpg

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you sat in one? I don't find it comfortable, though I appreciate its beauty.

You should also look at Saarinen's Womb chair, Paulin's Tulip Chair, the Auckland from Cassina, among others. The Womb and Tulip are more comfortable for me.

--Andre

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I sat in one today (for the first time actually). I found it very comfortable, and I liked the wing portion around the upper part when sitting in it. I'd go sit in it for longer before buying one though.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have two from before they sold them through DWR, but still from recent production. They are beautiful, and have held up very, very well. They are not the most comfortable chairs in the world, but aren't bad either. A lot of it has to do with how you are shaped. Some people think they are impossibly uncomfortable, and others can nap in them.

andyw

Reaction score
From the same Mid Century modern era, but different design intent is the Bertoia High Back Lounge Chair, aka the Bird Chair. Very comfortable and as iconic as the others. I've had one for 30 years and look forward to plopping into it after a long day.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks matt.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
I suggest you get a Ball Chair:

eero_aarnio_ball_chair_8zv.jpg

How accommodating are these for taller people? I've always liked them in pictures.

Originally Posted by andyw
From the same Mid Century modern era, but different design intent is the Bertoia High Back Lounge Chair, aka the Bird Chair. Very comfortable and as iconic as the others. I've had one for 30 years and look forward to plopping into it after a long day.
I will look into that one, thanks.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are there pictures of the egg couch somewhere online? I've read some articles mentioning that a few were made for the Radisson Hotel.

dave

Reaction score
the Bertoia's are my favorite also. the Bird in particular. to my eye, it's the most beautiful of the bunch and it's fairly comfortable.

Also, in the "modern wing" vein is the Wegner Papa Bear chair. I've never actually seen on in person though so I can't speak to the comfort but I think they look great. it's decidedly more danish flair than some can take though for sure.

As Matt said, one man's ceiling is another's floor in terms of comfort on any one of these really. At over 6 ft and rather "solidly" built, I do not find the Egg comfortable. My GF, is 5'4" and finds it quite nice. I will have one one day because it's dead sexy but it's not on the top of my list because it's just not built for me.

The ball chair, though quirky, is not something you want to sit in to watch TV or have a conversation since the ball blocks out a lot of peripheral sound. i think they're mostly conversation pieces. put one in your house and I bet you'll find it's the last empty seat in a crowded house.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go with the Egg, you're probably better off just buying a current-production piece than a vintage one, since the vintage ones sometimes end up selling for more than it would cost to a buy a new one.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you'll find out when you see the Bird Chair for yourself, it's a pretty narrow and small chair, and may not fit larger people too well. I like the Bertoia full-pad diamond chair better.

--Andre

converge

Reaction score
The womb chair is the most comfortable chair I've sat in.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the Womb chair. The smaller one is heaven.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads