• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cts-v

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
I would say this is actually more of a dealer dependent thing, because I've been to several BMW dealerships for work in CA and most of them are staffed by jackasses. However, when I used one in OK City, I got amazing service.

Could be. In the city I live in now, we've gotten nothing but ****** service from anything but the luxury imports. It's why I am pretty damn loathe to change, even though I keep telling myself I want to cut my lease payment in half, come November.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say this is actually more of a dealer dependent thing, because I've been to several BMW dealerships for work in CA and most of them are staffed by jackasses. However, when I used one in OK City, I got amazing service.

+1 on the dealer-dependence. A good service writer can make all the difference, so make sure you treat yours right.

--Andre

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
+1 on the dealer-dependence. A good service writer can make all the difference, so make sure you treat yours right.

--Andre

They have to treat you right first.

Thank goodness for DIY and independent shops.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Import luxury dealers in my area tend to be stingy with loaners. Shuttles don't work for me.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have to treat you right first.

Of course, but service writers at dealerships see their share of rude customers as well --- it goes both ways. They have a lot of power in their hands, and can save you literally thousands of dollars by putting something under warranty. For example, when my E46's rear subframe cracked, my service writer got it covered by BMW despite knowing that I tracked my car, and he had the area welded and reinforced, instead of being filled with foam like most of the repairs BMW did cover.

It's a long-term relationship, and they can make the unpleasant parts owing a car as easy as possible. It's mostly being polite and respectful to them, but the occasional bottle of wine or box of donuts don't hurt either. I have the same kind of relationship with my independent now, too.

--Andre

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Import luxury dealers in my area tend to be stingy with loaners. Shuttles don't work for me.

Really? I don't sign a lease without one in the agreement. MB, Lexus, Rover, Jag, and Infiniti all supply fleets to their dealers for this.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
It's a long-term relationship, and they can make the unpleasant parts owing a car as easy as possible. It's mostly being polite and respectful to them, but the occasional bottle of wine or box of donuts don't hurt either. I have the same kind of relationship with my independent now, too.

--Andre

This makes a world of difference. I've gotten to know the guys quite well at the shops I visit. More than once I've had an issue that they took care of right then and there without any hassle or wait whatsoever.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Really? I don't sign a lease without one in the agreement. MB, Lexus, Rover, Jag, and Infiniti all supply fleets to their dealers for this.
Not the MB in my area.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Not the MB in my area.
I just Googled the MB loaner program. Sure seem to be many dealerships advertising loaners. Sorry to hear about the dealership in your area. I know my wife has gotten one the only time she's needed service since we got her MB in Dec 07. Edit: Damn, that is one fast sedan! RWD only though. Deal breaker
frown.gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Of course, but service writers at dealerships see their share of rude customers as well --- it goes both ways. They have a lot of power in their hands, and can save you literally thousands of dollars by putting something under warranty. For example, when my E46's rear subframe cracked, my service writer got it covered by BMW despite knowing that I tracked my car, and he had the area welded and reinforced, instead of being filled with foam like most of the repairs BMW did cover.

--Andre

I only do that with my indie shop, since the guys there are real BMW enthusiasts, and because I know I'll always go to them, as opposed to the dealers which I know I'm only going to while the car is under warranty, and who employ people who are only there to earn a paycheck and don't know much about the cars for the most part. I remember one service adviser at the dealership telling me that there was absolutely no way to program the passenger side mirror tilt for when the car was put into reverse and was adamant on this. The next day, I brought in a copy of the instructions to set it up, and he still refused to believe it, because he "worked for BMW for years and knew the cars" and "you can't believe everything on the internet." I just told him to try it to see if it worked, and it did. Of course, at the same dealership, I got an SA that was a club racer, and she was the best SA I've ever had, but she sadly only lasted a year. Again, more proof that it all goes down to the dealership itself, and even the specific adviser.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I just Googled the MB loaner program. Sure seem to be many dealerships advertising loaners. Sorry to hear about the dealership in your area. I know my wife has gotten one the only time she's needed service since we got her MB in Dec 07.

Edit: Damn, that is one fast sedan! RWD only though. Deal breaker
frown.gif

There is a CTS4 that is AWD. it doesn't have the mondo 550 horse motor or the FE4 suspension but it's a decent performer on it's own. 3.6 L direct injection with 305 HP is no slouch in the performance category. And, to my eye at least, it's the best looking car in it's segment. I just can't get into the Bangle-y Bimmers or the too sedate MBs and Audis. that, however, is PURELY subjective of course.

AFAIK, there is no real high output version, be it AMG M-series or S-line that does AWD. Could be wrong though.

I know I'm biased because I prefer domestic products but I haven't actually driven an import at the same price point that offers the same amenities and space as the CTS series.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said across the entire product line. FWD in the DTS series, Still? Really? ugh.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
There is a CTS4 that is AWD. it doesn't have the mondo 550 horse motor or the FE4 suspension but it's a decent performer on it's own. 3.6 L direct injection with 305 HP is no slouch in the performance category. And, to my eye at least, it's the best looking car in it's segment. I just can't get into the Bangle-y Bimmers or the too sedate MBs and Audis. that, however, is PURELY subjective of course.

AFAIK, there is no real high output version, be it AMG M-series or S-line that does AWD. Could be wrong though.

I know I'm biased because I prefer domestic products but I haven't actually driven an import at the same price point that offers the same amenities and space as the CTS series.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said across the entire product line. FWD in the DTS series, Still? Really? ugh.

AWD is important to me, as we have some extreme weather conditions where I live. I am actually a luxo-SUV guy, for several reasons, but the CTS-V had me momentarily interested when I saw the 0-60 @ 3.9 for 60'ish k! Just a nice, solid V6 sedan won't budge me out of my SUV mode. My current lease is up in Nov, and I am kicking around the redesigned FX with the big engine. I'd not buy an Infiniti, as I don't totally trust Nissan's QC, but it's appealing as a lease right now. I don't like the huge domestic luxo-SUVs, like Escalades, for a multitude of reasons.

If I was getting a sport sedan just to drive on the weekends, I have to say, it would be hard to beat the bang for the buck of that CTS-V

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Piobaire: I just Googled the MB loaner program. Sure seem to be many dealerships advertising loaners. Sorry to hear about the dealership in your area. I know my wife has gotten one the only time she's needed service since we got her MB in Dec 07.

They didn't have cars available at the time I purchased mine. There are a few now but not enough to meet the need. As it was explained to me, dealers have to buy their own loaner cars, they aren't provided by MB.

It's not a big issue for me because I have more than one vehicle to drive, and I've established a good working relationship with them. I actually had worse problems with the local BMW dealership, so much so that I refuse to buy another vehicle from them.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds. Sweet Jesus.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Piobaire: I just Googled the MB loaner program. Sure seem to be many dealerships advertising loaners. Sorry to hear about the dealership in your area. I know my wife has gotten one the only time she's needed service since we got her MB in Dec 07.

They didn't have cars available at the time I purchased mine. There are a few now but not enough to meet the need. As it was explained to me, dealers have to buy their own loaner cars, they aren't provided by MB.

It's not a big issue for me because I have more than one vehicle to drive, and I've established a good working relationship with them. I actually had worse problems with the local BMW dealership, so much so that I refuse to buy another vehicle from them.

It's not the lacking other vehicles, it's the ease of use. To both my wife and I, being able to make a 20 minute stop in the morning, and 20 minute stop on the way home from work, to deal with a service appointment is highly valuable. That comp service loaner just sends you on your way, without a break in your day.

YMMV. This is what makes the world go round
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics