• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Must replace my Florence Knoll sofa

hypersonic

Reaction score
Jens Risom
5aqjxw.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
stirling.jpg

So, an update: the Knoll people are warning us that the above fabric, with a Martindale abrasion rating of 27,500, may not hold up to our expectations (whatever they assume those are) under regular residential use.

Assuming the sofa is to be our main, daily-use seating surface, how well can we expect it to hold up with that kind of rating? From what I can find on the internet, it seems that 27,500 makes it a pretty sturdy residential fabric, yet below the level of durability suitable for commercial use.

chrome_dout

Reaction score
I've never seen any of these pieces at Pottery Barn or Ethan Allen.
smile.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
why does anyone buy anything but leather? fabric is the playground of 1,000,000 farts.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
stirling.jpg

So, an update: the Knoll people are warning us that the above fabric, with a Martindale abrasion rating of 27,500, may not hold up to our expectations (whatever they assume those are) under regular residential use.

Assuming the sofa is to be our main, daily-use seating surface, how well can we expect it to hold up with that kind of rating? From what I can find on the internet, it seems that 27,500 makes it a pretty sturdy residential fabric, yet below the level of durability suitable for commercial use.

Go with Hallingdal. It has a 100k martindale and is as good looking as any fabric.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Go with Hallingdal. It has a 100k martindale and is as good looking as any fabric.

It doesn't seem to be on Knoll's website--is it possible it's been discontinued?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's sold through Maharam, made by Kvadrat. It is probably the fabric which was used back in the 50s and 60s when they were first making the thing.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It's sold through Maharam, made by Kvadrat. It is probably the fabric which was used back in the 50s and 60s when they were first making the thing.

I went to the Knoll showroom; no Hallindal. They are checking to see if it can be sourced for me. Thoughts on Cato?

H80012.jpg

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
After we spent countless hours and visits hunting for a fancy sofa, I came home one day to find that my wife gave up and ordered a sofa from Ikea. More or less like this:
74535_PE182388_S4.jpg
In retrospect, once I realized that I didn't really care, I realized that I didn't really care. I did point out that the SF design crowd will no longer talk to us, but she refused to return it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I went to the Knoll showroom; no Hallindal. They are checking to see if it can be sourced for me. Thoughts on Cato?

GOSH! Pick some sweet fabric and get your freakin' sofa already!

gallery_Napoleon_Dynamite_1.jpg

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
why does anyone buy anything but leather? fabric is the playground of 1,000,000 farts.
No that is the asshole as you know, best. Leather is cool in winter and warm in summer exactly opposite of the way you would want it. Further it is impossible to hang back on a leather couch since you tend to slide off. That said, some of these couches seem awfully uncomfortable anyway. Those are the drawbacks of most pieces of design furniture.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
After we spent countless hours and visits hunting for a fancy sofa, I came home one day to find that my wife gave up and ordered a sofa from Ikea.
More or less like this:
74535_PE182388_S4.jpg

In retrospect, once I realized that I didn't really care, I realized that I didn't really care. I did point out that the SF design crowd will no longer talk to us, but she refused to return it.

I like that couch (although not really the extension part...I woudl assume it is available without?).

Score one more for ikea

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
After we spent countless hours and visits hunting for a fancy sofa, I came home one day to find that my wife gave up and ordered a sofa from Ikea.
More or less like this:
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/74535_PE182388_S4.jpg

On the bright side, that couch will probably break pretty soon, so you get a another shot at getting a good couch.

--Andre

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
On the bright side, that couch will probably break pretty soon, so you get a another shot at getting a good couch.
Good point. Best case scenario: it breaks on its way to dopey's place and therefore nobody gets a chance to get attached to it

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I like that couch (although not really the extension part...I woudl assume it is available without?). Score one more for ikea
Yes. It comes in a variety of configurations. We have a regular couch plus an ottoman
Originally Posted by A Y
On the bright side, that couch will probably break pretty soon, so you get a another shot at getting a good couch. --Andre
I don't think so. It seems pretty solid and well made. And . . .
Originally Posted by gdl203
Good point. Best case scenario: it breaks on its way to dopey's place and therefore nobody gets a chance to get attached to it
Too late. It's been here about a month. . . So I know two people who will not be invited over for milk and cookies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads