• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charterhouse of Parma

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Reading this now. Anyone have some thoughts on this?
It was recommended to me recently. Nothing else to say, really. The person recommending it though it was fantastic.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I do love me some Stendhal, but I am biased.

The Snob

Reaction score
I love Stendhal. "The Red and the Black" is my favourite of his works, but I do have a big spot saved for "The Charterhouse of Parma". What do you think of it so far? I read the book quite a number of years ago so the plotline isn't as vivid in my mind. I do remember being immensely entertained by the unintentional idiot, Fabrizio, who inspired my skype username. I don't know what else to say really except that Stendhal's protagonists are all simultaneously lovable and loathsome leaving you anxiety-ridden and hoping they'll make it through all right. Also, the Duchess is awesome.

Your post has reminded me of this wonderful book and now I feel I must find my copy and read it again.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Snob
I love Stendhal. "The Red and the Black" is my favourite of his works, but I do have a big spot saved for "The Charterhouse of Parma". What do you think of it so far? I read the book quite a number of years ago so the plotline isn't as vivid in my mind. I do remember being immensely entertained by the unintentional idiot, Fabrizio, who inspired my skype username. I don't know what else to say really except that Stendhal's protagonists are all simultaneously lovable and loathsome leaving you anxiety-ridden and hoping they'll make it through all right. Also, the Duchess is awesome.

Your post has reminded me of this wonderful book and now I feel I must find my copy and read it again.

I find it a languid read. Enjoyable, but not compelling.

water

Reaction score
Whose translation are you reading?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I was bored by Red and Black (it must have seemed very courant at the time, but man is it tedious now), but CofO was riveting.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always liked Stendhal's quote about ice cream. Something like "It's such a pity that this isn't a sin."

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I meant P.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I meant P.

That was my guess, but as I am not up on Standahl's entire output I wasn't sure if you were referring to something else.

You really found Charterhouse riveting? As in - this is so exciting I don't want to put it down as I need to know what happens next? Not me. I like reading it while I am reading it, but give it no thought when I am not.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
That was my guess, but as I am not up on Standahl's entire output I wasn't sure if you were referring to something else.

You really found Charterhouse riveting? As in - this is so exciting I don't want to put it down as I need to know what happens next? Not me. I like reading it while I am reading it, but give it no thought when I am not.

It gets very exciting when he goes to jail. I read it ten years ago, so my memory may be off.

AGPi

Reaction score
I love this book - but mainly for the Waterloo chapters. Now and then I go back and read that sequence. I found the rest of the book a let down, although the duchess is an excellent character.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads