• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dolce & Gabbana

super

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice emmanuel, i'll take that into consideration. I'm gonna go try it on one more time and see if i like it.

I was thinking of maybe getting this at $900 AU and then getting another suit at like $500 that i will wear more regularly and keep this one when i wish to look a bit more polished.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definitely acceptable for work, what's your 500 dollar choice suit though?

super

Reaction score
not sure yet, but I am just a grad so I'm gonna have to be thrifty... until i make some kind of money in this current economy...

yoshii

Reaction score
Hey super, i saw some Z Zegna suits around in DJs for $675 i think. Might want to check those out, i don't think they rate too highly around here due to construction (fused/half-canvassed?) but its meant to fit pretty nicely if you want a slim fitting suit (haven't tried it on myself).

Can't think of much else you could get for $500 locally (Aust), even the chain stores like saba/ag/calibre etc are around the $800-900 mark from memory.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To me they are the same as Cavalli, clothes for nouveau riche.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
what is the Dolce & Gabbana Luxury line? i see a whole batch of those suits in Nordstrom the other day.

it is not the mainline, no? didnt seem to luxurious. i thought the mainline was just plain Dolce & Gabbana

The mainline, AFAIK, is divided to 3 lines, Luxury, Martini, Gold. Each has a different cut and fit. Luxury would be the normal european fit and cut (on a suit, it doesn't have the skinny lapels). Martini has the slimmer fit and Gold has the slimmest. I think the Gold cut is what they normally use in their catalogs and runway shows.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nyarkies
The mainline, AFAIK, is divided to 3 lines, Luxury, Martini, Gold. Each has a different cut and fit. Luxury would be the normal european fit and cut (on a suit, it doesn't have the skinny lapels). Martini has the slimmer fit and Gold has the slimmest. I think the Gold cut is what they normally use in their catalogs and runway shows.
I had one of the Gold suits. Although it was very slim, the fit was perfect.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their jackets for the Martini and Gold suits fit me great as well. I just don't like the pants. I wish they can have a bit more room.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nyarkies
Their jackets for the Martini and Gold suits fit me great as well. I just don't like the pants. I wish they can have a bit more room.
Yes, the pants were low rise and snug. Not too tight, but definitely snug.

Made in California

Reaction score
This brand is crazy. I'm curious how much has changed in the five years since this thread was originally introduced.
Their sizing is way off, one size up is a must.
the one jacket I tried on was true to size, but I didn't really explore the range heavily.
The Dolce and Gabbana fit is more suitable for the bigger, European sized body. Their cuts are for men with longer torsos.
ITT are votes for "size up" "size down" & "true to size" heh. I assume this is the reason:
it almost seems like they have two lines of fit, one is quite slim and the other one is muscle type (not bulky kind though), am I the only one who find that is the case
eh.gif
So different garments fit completely differently. Which I should note I love because this brand truly does has something for everyone. Huge fan. BUT that leaves one in the position of not knowing which size to order. Specifically, what's the fit of their jackets like? Here's a couple of examples: Grey Cotton Jacket Check Jacket Perforated Leather Jacket It's like, I can see the labels on the back but there's no indicator of "Luxury/Martini/Gold" like there is on their dress shirts. Do they make this differentiation on their outwear? If not, how does it generally fit? Oh and for anyone not a fan of this brand I'd like to note the lack of monogramming and absurdly good price on the items above. Cheers.

Last edited:

Eastman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A few months back I ordered a DG shirt on discount, I think the original price as like 250 dollars, and I was paying a 100, it was the most absolute piece of garbage, terrible quality, I send it back. A fair price for that shirt is maybe 20 dollars

Made in California

Reaction score

A few months back I ordered a DG shirt on discount, I think the original price as like 250 dollars, and I was paying a 100, it was the most absolute piece of garbage, terrible quality, I send it back. A fair price for that shirt is maybe 20 dollars

What about the jackets? I just posted the shirt as an example of the fit labeling.

Last edited:

Made in California

Reaction score
No one?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads