• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black blazer and navy pants or vice versa

oaw01

Reaction score
I know the rules - it's suppose to be a big NO... i.e. The guy can't afford a suit hence he has mismatch dark colors. However, I was browsing through the Ralph Lauren runway pics and that combo looked good. I guess it would work for a slim fitted blazer/pants combo like RLBL or RLPL.

What are your thoughts and have you wore this combo.

thanks

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
i don't think i've ever worn this combo purposefully. i did it once out of necessity - black cashwool sport jacket i had in my car when i went to a jackets required establishment. i was wearing navy trousers and brown semi-brogues with a polo shirt. i looked like a poser. luckily all the neighboring fat country club types looked woefully worse. i don't recommend this particular combination.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prada does it, so can you. Its all about fit. It wont work in the trad sense, but if its more of a modern cut, go for it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
Prada does it, so can you. Its all about fit. It wont work in the trad sense, but if its more of a modern cut, go for it.
I agree. The look wouldn't work for me, but I think it could look okay.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black blazer can work with the right jeans.

robasaurus

Reaction score
I would say yes, but only under the condition that the shade of navy is rich and light enough that it won't appear too similar too the black blazer under any lighting conditions. If the two are close enough, it will be a terrible combo. I could see it working if they are noticeably different, however.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robasaurus
I would say yes, but only under the condition that the shade of navy is rich and light enough that it won't appear too similar too the black blazer under any lighting conditions. If the two are close enough, it will be a terrible combo. I could see it working if they are noticeably different, however.

this

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Risky, but possible if the navy isn't too dark and doesn't have trad details such as metal buttons. Think about the shirt of the Inter footbal/soccer team from Milan.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello, Security Guard!

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Hello, Security Guard!

+1, why do this, there are so many other more interesting things to do.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i have a quick question if any one can answer honestly:

i just received a black Isaia base S cashmere herringbone sportcoat. it is pretty fit and nice lines on shoulders and waist.
texture is like this up close
253440484_o.jpg

i also got a pair of Burberry prorsnum wool gabardine black pants. the subtle texture is gabardine (small narrow diagonal roped lines) very slim and sleek lines.

something similar to this mcqueen (not that high waisted though):
15_183760qq545_pants_1000_028med.jpg

the two put together looks smashing in terms of silhouette. and both are jet black.

but of course the textures are different. herringbone for the coat, and gabardine for the pant.
also the sheen of the black due to the different compositions give off a different black hue.

would it be safe to wear both together or would this be a faux pas?

thanks.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
why do this, there are so many other more interesting things to do.

Why not? By that logic you should pass on anything that is not your absolute favorite outfit. Leaving you with one look that beats everything else but you wear it everyday. So I ask, why not add that look to a long list of looks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads