• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Country Music Appreciation Thread

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for a great thread
fing02[1].gif

I consider myself to have good 'real' country credentials (made an "A" in History of Country Music, archived a paper on Drive-By Trucker's Southern Rock Opera, etc) but I'm listening to the Taylor Swift loop on youtube right now
blush.gif
So.Damn.Catchy. But, yeah, Old Crow Medicine Show
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Lots of words to live by in classic country, and there are a few commercial radio stations around carrying that stuff now. This thread is lacking in Tom T. Hall. Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine. And of course the secret to life: faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Thanks for a great thread
fing02[1].gif

I consider myself to have good 'real' country credentials (made an "A" in History of Country Music, archived a paper on Drive-By Trucker's Southern Rock Opera, etc) but I'm listening to the Taylor Swift loop on youtube right now
blush.gif
So.Damn.Catchy. But, yeah, Old Crow Medicine Show
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Lots of words to live by in classic country, and there are a few commercial radio stations around carrying that stuff now. This thread is lacking in Tom T. Hall. Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine. And of course the secret to life: faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money.

confused.gif
real country =/ rock

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
confused.gif
real country =/ rock

Drive-By Truckers are pretty solidly alt-country, which I would classify as real country. Southern Rock Opera was so titled because it uses Lynyrd Skynyrd as the lens through which they chronicle the South in the 70s.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Drive-By Truckers are pretty solidly alt-country, which I would classify as real country. Southern Rock Opera was so titled because it uses Lynyrd Skynyrd as the lens through which they chronicle the South in the 70s.

am well familiar. however, alt-country =/ real country

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How could we forget Kinky Freidman and the Texas Jewboys?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
am well familiar. however, alt-country =/ real country

Why not? I've always thought older guys we consider real country now would be called alt-country if they'd started their careers more recently. No one says guys like Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Cash, and Hank Jr. aren't real country, but they would probably be considered alt-country had they come out more recently (there's a Hank Jr. song where Waylon calls himself "country rock"). I would also say Hank III is about as old-school as you can get musically, but he's definitely alt-country.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just surprised anyone would make such a distinction between "alt" and "real" country. I'd be interested to hear why you do.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bump for great music

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Why not? I've always thought older guys we consider real country now would be called alt-country if they'd started their careers more recently. No one says guys like Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Cash, and Hank Jr. aren't real country, but they would probably be considered alt-country had they come out more recently (there's a Hank Jr. song where Waylon calls himself "country rock"). I would also say Hank III is about as old-school as you can get musically, but he's definitely alt-country.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just surprised anyone would make such a distinction between "alt" and "real" country. I'd be interested to hear why you do.

confused.gif
Easy to distinguish btwn the two (i.e. country & rock), but I agree once you throw 'real' country guys (Willie, Waylon, Johnny Cash, etc.) into the alt-country camp it's tempting to view the rock 'alt-country' acts (DBT, Son Volt, etc.) as 'real' country. Tempting, but IMHO incorrect...

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rocky Mountain High
Colorado
Rocky Mountain High
Colorado
Rocky Mountain High
Colorado
Rocky Mountain High
Colorado

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
A pleasant performance of "Miami, My Amy" by Keith Whitley from Hee Haw:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. And an out of control Dwight Yoakam performance of "Please, Please Baby" from Austin City Limits (check out the guitar action from Pete Anderson on the right):

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Stanley

Townes Van Zandt

Steve Earle

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easy to distinguish btwn the two (i.e. country & rock), but I agree once you throw 'real' country guys (Willie, Waylon, Johnny Cash, etc.) into the alt-country camp it's tempting to view the rock 'alt-country' acts (DBT, Son Volt, etc.) as 'real' country. Tempting, but IMHO incorrect...
You keep repeating this - but why?

Because DBT/Son Volt/etc. have a tendency to rock? What about more traditional 'alt-country' acts (Gillian Welch, Lucinda, etc.)? What about Hank Williams III? Did Bob Dylan ever cut a country record?

How does Nashville country (or God forbid, **** like Pat Green) have a stronger claim to the mantle than bands that consciously pattern themselves after the Johnnie/Willie/Waylon influences?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
You keep repeating this - but why?

Because DBT/Son Volt/etc. have a tendency to rock? What about more traditional 'alt-country' acts (Gillian Welch, Lucinda, etc.)? What about Hank Williams III? Did Bob Dylan ever cut a country record?

How does Nashville country (or God forbid, **** like Pat Green) have a stronger claim to the mantle than bands that consciously pattern themselves after the Johnnie/Willie/Waylon influences?

i'm not repeating anything. cq mentioned his good 'real' country creds and in the same sentence talked about the dbt. they are a (great) rock band, not a 'real' country band/artist. that's all i'm saying

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads