• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

capnpyro

Reaction score
I'm debating getting this one right now Tom Ford Charles
185621_1.jpg
I'm iffy on if the gradient is femme or not, they fit like a glove though (and the frame color is palladium, apparently they're made of the stuff). Alternately I might just go with a pair of Ray Ban 3025s (standard aviators)

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw these new wood Jil Sander sunglasses on selectism.
bounce2.gif

jil-sander-eyewear-preview.jpg

jil-sander-eyewear-preview-02.jpg

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are quite something, I wonder how the wood will look over time.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
Just saw these new wood Jil Sander sunglasses on selectism.
bounce2.gif
jil-sander-eyewear-preview.jpg
jil-sander-eyewear-preview-02.jpg

Are you sure they are wood? I dont think it is real wood. It is a faux-wood-look. There is a temple wire that is visible. If it was wood, you wouldnt have that wire. Just to let you know, you can achieve the same look by sanding acetate and using acetone to take down the shine. Make sure they are wood, if youre paying top dollars. Also, keep in mind that wood is not adjustable so if its not comforatable now, it wont be later. There are several brands that use real wood, I have only deal with Iyoko Ineyake, but there are other brands too. Hope that helps.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel pretty confident they are wood, as that is how Selectism reported it, and they know their stuff.

Blog entry is here.

Also FWIW, the rest of the Jil line will be posted there tomorrow.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel pretty confident they are wood, as that is how Selectism reported it, and they know their stuff.

Blog entry is here.

Also FWIW, the rest of the Jil line will be posted there tomorrow.

I don't know Selectism all that well, but what I know is, it is almost impossible to bore out a hole in the side of a temple to put the wire in. I haven't even seen clear wood, but maybe there is some. Also, if it was wood, you wouldn't need the temple wire because wood IS NOT adjustable. It's not my money to spend, but I thought I would give you my opinion. I'm not trying to offend you, just trying to help.

k4ppah

Reaction score
Tom Ford has been brought up a few times in this thread, but no one has spoken to the quality at all. Can anyone vouch for him? I really like the 108's (the model featured on Daniel Craig in Quantum...) but I'm not sure they're worth the high asking price.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4ppah
Tom Ford has been brought up a few times in this thread, but no one has spoken to the quality at all. Can anyone vouch for him? I really like the 108's (the model featured on Daniel Craig in Quantum...) but I'm not sure they're worth the high asking price.

Tom Ford has good styles, but I dont know if the quality is worth it's high price tag. For that kind of money I would rather buy 2 pairs of something else. The quality is not worth its $500-600 retail value. For that quality I wouldnt pay more than $300, max.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I don't know Selectism all that well, but what I know is, it is almost impossible to bore out a hole in the side of a temple to put the wire in. I haven't even seen clear wood, but maybe there is some. Also, if it was wood, you wouldn't need the temple wire because wood IS NOT adjustable. It's not my money to spend, but I thought I would give you my opinion. I'm not trying to offend you, just trying to help.

You seem to know you're stuff. Selectism made the correction today. They are in fact brushed plastic, and not wood. I would +rep you if I could. Nice call.

As promised, the rest of the Jil Sander sunglasses line (taken from selectism here):

jil-sander-autumn-2009-eyewear-01.jpg

jil-sander-autumn-2009-eyewear-02.jpg

jil-sander-autumn-2009-eyewear-03.jpg

jil-sander-autumn-2009-eyewear-04.jpg

jil-sander-autumn-2009-eyewear-05.jpg

jil-sander-autumn-2009-eyewear-07.jpg

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seem to know you're stuff. Selectism made the correction today. They are in fact brushed plastic, and not wood. I would +rep you if I could. Nice call.

Thanks. I'm just trying to help others regarding eyewear (it's what I do for a living). I don't know much about style though and that's why i'm here.
smile.gif

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Selectism writers only regurgitate what they read on clothing forums and product descriptions.

HUUUD

Reaction score
does anyone have any insight into the best place to buy rayban wayfarers online?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HUUUD
does anyone have any insight into the best place to buy rayban wayfarers online?
Frames direct. Hit the banner link in the bottom of this page to get a coupon as well as support the forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads