• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ode to the Falafel

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried a falafel once. It was pretty good, but when I realized that for nearly the same price, I could get lamb in the pita instead, I stopped getting falafels.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've eaten at Mamoun's everytime I go to NY. Been underwhelmed everytime, too.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I'm a Mamoun fan too. Falafel or shish taouk, both are awesome and super cheap

Have you tried the place on 12th street, west of University? It's a more veggie-laden sandwich, but it's tasty. I also like the Rainbow Falafel on 17th Street and go there almost once a week.

Basically, I'm too lazy to walk down to Mamouns unless it's summer.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love eating falafel in Paris on Sundays.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Have you tried the place on 12th street, west of University? It's a more veggie-laden sandwich, but it's tasty. I also like the Rainbow Falafel on 17th Street and go there almost once a week.

I haven't. Honestly, I have no idea if Mamoun is the best or even in the top quartile. I just got used to going there when I was going to school around the corner. Mamoun, Pepe Rosso, Ben's Pizza would be our go-to places for a cheap lunch.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I tried a falafel once. It was pretty good, but when I realized that for nearly the same price, I could get lamb in the pita instead, I stopped getting falafels.

lamb is a couple of bucks more....

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
lamb is a couple of bucks more....

Yep, like I said. . . nearly the same price. I think the place near me when I lived in the US was like 3 for a falafel, 4.50 for a gyro, and 6 for a "gyro plate" which had hummus and rice too.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gyros are pretty disgusting at most places though. They buy those pre-made cone-shaped masses of meat, frozen, ready to turn. I've seen them switch the gyro and it's not pretty - kinda like a giant frozen sausage. At the good places, they are made by stacking slices of meat on that rotisserie stake, but I rarely these any more

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Yep, like I said. . . nearly the same price. I think the place near me when I lived in the US was like 3 for a falafel, 4.50 for a gyro, and 6 for a "gyro plate" which had hummus and rice too.

percentage-wise you're usually talking a 50% increase....

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Amsterdam Falafel in DC. Went for the first time a few weeks back, and now I can't get it out of my head.

b

Word up. I used to live down the street...copped at least a couple times a week.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
percentage-wise you're usually talking a 50% increase....

Yeah, but the overall cost is still very low, making the percentages irrelevant to me. An extra 1.50 for lamb instead of deep fried beans seemed like a pretty good deal to me.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Gyros are pretty disgusting at most places though. They buy those pre-made cone-shaped masses of meat, frozen, ready to turn. I've seen them switch the gyro and it's not pretty - kinda like a giant frozen sausage. At the good places, they are made by stacking slices of meat on that rotisserie stake, but I rarely these any more

greg, you haven't been to the right gyros places.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Best I ever had was in Israel.

The place I went to was the equivalent to a hotdog stand. You basically paid for the pita bread and they had a huge assortment of fillings including falafel, veggies and sauces.

Alter, what kind of sauces did the street stands in Israel have? Just the usual tahini sauce and the chili sauce, or some other stuff as well?

Any falafal place that doesn't have the hot chili sauce is a disgrace. The sauce at Mamoun's is f'in awesome. Ridiculously spicy.

Guy Burgess

Reaction score
I really enjoyed Maoz in both London and Amsterdam. This persian place was amazing in my old town, but they closed down and i cant remember what they were called.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads