• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Urban ripping off designers

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
It's because people on the forum need to try to hate on whatever they think a hipster is so they feel more stylish and put together
I see criticism for those other brands frequently.
eh.gif

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I see criticism for those other brands frequently.
eh.gif

and I see people saying they don't like BoO, that doesn't mean it doesn't get a ******* with lovingly tickled balls by and large.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I agree, but people act like it's a new thing.

I'm not gonna lie, the UO koto stuff is actually pretty nice looking at the sale price. The cotton/canvas (i forget) peacoat fit pretty well and looked nice. All the stuff is a EG/WWM/workweary guy's dream at the prices. Like $30 for a denim shirt and $40 for the peacoat right now. I bought a denim shirt to wear as a light jacket over a white tee and bathing suit for the beach nights

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of examples of direct rips by Urban.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Rye's brand is stocked there?

Maybe not the most objective observer.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really think Urban Outfitters attracts a lot of hate because they decided to name themselves ******* Urban Outfitters. I've hated on them in the past and now I don't really give a ****.

I've also said before that you could put together a goth ninja outfit from Hot Topic that almost no one on the planet would be able to tell apart from Rick. If you still feel the need to cop Rick because you are in awe of his genius, you are NEXTLVLLOL and I am PREVIOUSLVLLOL.

Avant-garde fashion (or whatever) in general is sort of marsupialed. If you're a real artiste, you can't afford that ****. If you can afford that ****, chance are your money came from something that is the opposite of what a lot of those gloomy old ***** pretend to stand for. SoCal holla one time!

tinfoil.gif

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I find it hilarious when people assume not a single person working for UO's creative dept (or wtf they call it) knows anything about design, etc. Where do you think a lot of these geniuses the supersheep jock got their start?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie, the UO koto stuff is actually pretty nice looking at the sale price. The cotton/canvas (i forget) peacoat fit pretty well and looked nice. All the stuff is a EG/WWM/workweary guy's dream at the prices. Like $30 for a denim shirt and $40 for the peacoat right now. I bought a denim shirt to wear as a light jacket over a white tee and bathing suit for the beach nights
Workwear is not a good example for ripping off designs as most of the ideas used have been around for 50+ years (unless you're talking about specific signature details that these smaller brands developed by themselves, or the brand name itself).

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
Avant-garde fashion (or whatever) in general is sort of marsupialed. If you're a real artiste, you can't afford that ****. If you can afford that ****, chance are your money came from something that is the opposite of what a lot of those gloomy old ***** pretend to stand for. SoCal holla one time!
Come on man. I know you have to be at least part way trolling - but have you ever looked at a single ******* Rick Owens collection?

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can only get through a few pics and then I have to rub one out...

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, I find it hilarious when people assume not a single person working for UO's creative dept (or wtf they call it) knows anything about design, etc. Where do you think a lot of these geniuses the supersheep jock got their start?
I think I got banned from posting comments on ACL when I posted a question about this topic in Michael's post on his visit to UO's design offices.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Using Socal as the obvious joke that he is winds up being totally unfair to the designers who he represents by making their **** look like total abortions.

Socal is the 13 year old Avril Lavigne fan wearing the forever 21 Minor Threat t-shirt disguised in Rick Owens.

chronoaug

Reaction score
Workwear is not a good example for ripping off designs as most of the ideas used have been around for 50+ years (unless you're talking about specific signature details that these smaller brands developed by themselves, or the brand name itself).
I'm aware of that, but the way they are marketed, some of the detailing/designs, and the way they're put together on the models at the store make it seem a lot like the brands i mentioned. I don't care at all. If anything it was a PSA for people who like that style. mazda- socal actually wears most of that rick/damir stuff pretty well. He's the perfect tall/lanky build for that kinda stuff too. I'm guessing you're not really sure what you're talking about but going for the safe joke? There was some company that had even Bson ripoffs which was kinda funny to me. A hoodie and one of their cowl tshirts. Looked almost exactly like it. Can't think of the brand. Think it was a house brand of some place like topshop or asos

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I got banned from posting comments on ACL when I posted a question about this topic in Michael's post on his visit to UO's design offices.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean...anyway, on a more serious note, yes I've looked at Rick collections. But here's the thing: most supersheep don't wear his really out-there ****, they wear lame basics that, again, to the untrained eye are not going to look all that different from Hot Topic. EDIT: And I have a feeling they don't wear the out-there **** for two reasons: one, $$$. Two, they recognize it would make them look ******* stupid.

chronoaug

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure what you mean...anyway, on a more serious note, yes I've looked at Rick collections. But here's the thing: most supersheep don't wear his really out-there ****, they wear lame basics that, again, to the untrained eye are not going to look all that different from Hot Topic. EDIT: And I have a feeling they don't wear the out-there **** for two reasons: one, $$$. Two, they recognize it would make them look ******* stupid.
Rick doesn't have that many "crazy" pieces. Usually various pants (some drop crotch but most either slim/skinny or loose), tanks/tees and then different jackets. Rick does a similar collection every season too. Some of the sufu guys have that bomber jacket from a few seasons ago and it looks badass. Also, a lot of the weird crazy stuff you see from runway collections don't actually make production or like 2-3 worldwide stores pick it up so that's not really fair of your to claim in your argument

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure what you mean...anyway, on a more serious note, yes I've looked at Rick collections. But here's the thing: most supersheep don't wear his really out-there ****, they wear lame basics that, again, to the untrained eye are not going to look all that different from Hot Topic.

EDIT: And I have a feeling they don't wear the out-there **** for two reasons: one, $$$. Two, they recognize it would make them look ******* stupid.

Stop saying random **** you don't know anything about.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Isn't this what all fast fashion places (topshop, h&m, UO, uniqlo, zara, club monaco, etc...) do? Also, same with low-mid end brands discussed on the forums or carried at lesser boutiques. I don't get it

This/my first post. I know, it's tough to swallow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads