• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As to the OP, for me it seems that with every pant that fits in the thighs/seat is a 36" waist with the waist being a bit loose, which I then have my tailor take in. In one instance a pair of 35" waisted pants fit great everywhere, so all I needed on those was cuffing.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the seat is fit, then I think let out is a better option.
Most of my pants has been let out 1-1.5inch, since I take in few pounds after marriage. They all look ok.

Garage/Surf Rock

Reaction score
Is there a way of having the waist on pants increased? I have a bunch of pants I bought up 'cause I like them a lot and the style had been discontinued. But the waist is a tad tight. I like the fit of the legs and seat so no need for altering there.

millionaire75

Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread. So, two pairs of pants....which is the better option.

1. Too big in waist, seat but thighs fit (have tailor take in)

2. Fine in waist (bit snug), seat but thighs are very tight (have tailor let out if he can)

Which do I go with.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
Resurrecting this thread. So, two pairs of pants....which is the better option.

1. Too big in waist, seat but thighs fit (have tailor take in)

2. Fine in waist (bit snug), seat but thighs are very tight (have tailor let out if he can)

Which do I go with.

1 sounds right to me. It seems a lot better to alter a waist than thighs

Stringer1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Letting them out is the right thing to do. For slim pants, buy what fits your thighs and have the waist altered.

I never heard this thinking, but it makes perfect sense. I have some pants that look very sloppy, mostly because they are baggy in the thigh area.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
Member a tailor consistently recommends that you not worry about the waist. Buy the pants that fit you in the seat and thighs, and then alter the waist in/out appropriately.

+1000

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Garage/Surf Rock
Is there a way of having the waist on pants increased? I have a bunch of pants I bought up 'cause I like them a lot and the style had been discontinued. But the waist is a tad tight. I like the fit of the legs and seat so no need for altering there.

YES DO IT !

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to know.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to get as good a fit in the legs and then adjust the waist in usually to make them just right. I find my tailor does a great job of taking in the waist and also slimming the legs from top to bottom as I like them if needed.

Abstraktmind

Reaction score
Resurrecting again! I bought a suit off of B&SF and the suit jacket fits like a dream, but the pants are a 35 waist, and I'm a 32...could this be tailor down to fit me? bringing in the waist, tailoring the bagginess of the legs and the seat? I like the suit so much I'd even drop 100.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pants are really easy to alter. Just find a good tailor. I just go in to mine and try the stuff on and she starts saying "We're going to take in the seat and some here at the hip, blah blah blah".

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all this said, is there any way to let out the thighs at all? It is not a huge deal, but I could use another half an inch or so for the sake of comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads