• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dolce & Gabbana

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it appears all their mainline dress shoes are blake-stitched now, quite nice

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I've been several times, and have bought quite a bit from the store over the years. However, for the last couple of years I've stopped in but haven't made any purchases.

I actually noticed that the boutique changed a bit when they moved from their 65th st. location to a litttle further uptown. They have a better layout and even the clothes have changed for the better. I dont make too many purchases at Dolce either because whenever I am looking for something specific I always find something just a little better elsewhere.
eh.gif
They have nice stuff though.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
what is the Dolce & Gabbana Luxury line? i see a whole batch of those suits in Nordstrom the other day.

it is not the mainline, no? didnt seem to luxurious. i thought the mainline was just plain Dolce & Gabbana

Pretty sure you're right.

I've never heard of the Luxury Line, only in Dolce cosmetics. Dolce & Gabbana label and the step down is D&G.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that most "designer" labels put out a lot more interesting, better fitted overcoats/outerwear/jackets than a lot of traditional MC brands.

EDIT: And more importantly, it's slightly more difficult to put a giant D&G golden plaque on something like a trench or an overcoat.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I find that most "designer" labels put out a lot more interesting, better fitted overcoats/outerwear/jackets than a lot of traditional MC brands.
I agree. I have several Prada, Dior, and Dolce & Gabbana jackets, rain coats, and top coats. They have excellent fit and are generally made well. While I no longer purchase their suits, shirts, or pants, I still consider their outerwear.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yup, would definitely go for designer stuff for overcoats, leather jacket, outwear, more fitted.

super

Reaction score
So getting one of their suits (martini line) at $900AU wouldn't be too bad value would it? or would one rather go for a herringbone suit if i was in sydney?

The fit of dolce and really nice though, alot more slimmer than herringbone.

How about paul smith for the same price?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally I would always take fit over anything else, that would show the most, as long as you don't have some ridiculous color. Is this going to be your only suit? If that's the case, get something fit well, and if you don't wear everyday, I don't see how true quality will play into this. It's not like designer suit will dissolve into thin air after you wear it for 2 years.

Paul Smith has different fit, but can work if you find the right one (slim fit wise), I would say pick the one that has the best fit for you over anything else.

CatsEyes

Reaction score
Actually, there's another history to the firm that doesn't seem to have been referenced here. Probably there'd be better information on the Streetwear etc forum.

As I recall it, D and G were two gay dudes from Naples who wanted to undercut what they saw as the pompous, outdated North-vs South attitudes from Milan, with the idea of turning low-brow Neapolitan street style (not Neapolitan tailoring!) into something cool, almost as a kind of joke

I owned a streetwear-type shirt from early D&G many years ago in a pale blue and beige combination that was very much in that style - hip and unhip all at the same time, as it were. When I visited Naples not long afterwards I looked in the windows of the cheap clothes joints and 'laughed out loud', as it were. Exactly the same colour combo was a staple of the Neapolitan equivalent of KMart or Walmart.

Then, as so often happens (think Steve Martin), the subcultural joke suddenly became mainstream in a big way. And for lack of a new reference-point, they simply tried to fill in that enormous space in Italian clothing between the natty gentleman's look, on the one hand, and the pink Lacoste polo shirt with jeans and loafers, on the other. Hence the basic slapdash incoherence of the whole thing.

Plus, I suspect nowadays they're actually playing off all the fakes out there. More fake than the fakes, as it were.

None of which makes them of much interest on this particular forum. I presume the nice suits that are out there are made by somebody else.

super

Reaction score
http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/slid...ay=false&cnt=1
00003f.jpg
This is the particular suit I'm looking at that was $900AU. it retailed for $2000 and it fit like that on me, but with the narrow lapels and very slim fit is this something thats more of a party suit or is this fit for work and play? It will be my first suit, but i intend to add another grey one and maybe a charcoal.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is acceptible at work. However, you really shouldnt buy black as your first suit.

super

Reaction score
It actually isn't black, its actually a dark blue I've seen it in person... but it almost looks black in indoor lighting but you can tell its a blue if you look carefully.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So its a midnight blue i guess. Navy would be better. Charcoal would be best. I like the suit though. Its the fact that it will be your first suit that concerns me.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the people I see who might buy the stuff are basically interested in the label. They'd paid extra if the company would tatoo the label and full retail price on their foreheads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads