• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: NYC Paul Stuart Sample Sale April 13

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went this morning before 10. No line. Only moderately crowded upstairs.

I went early for the shoe trees, but none were offered this year.

One other change from last year is fewer shoes. In my size, 8.5, mostly pennys. One pair of black chukka boots $400 ---> 150. I bought. This 60% off was the standard discount in shoes.

Sport coats were 80% off. Accessories were 70% off. Shirts were 70% off.

There was PC merch in shirts, coats, perhaps other areas as well.

Best value was lengths of beautiful cloths, three or four meters each, for $100.

Besides, the boots, I bought some socks and a bunch of pocket squares.

Overall, starting discounts are more aggressive than last year.

How low will they go?

We shall see.

rtr

Reaction score
Just returned from sale. I don't think the offerings were quite as nice as in some years past, but there were still a few nice pieces. The shoe offerings for my 9/9.5 foot were pretty limited, but there were some basic staple options (though not in great quantity) in 8 and below--black cap toes, black punch caps, and the like. $250 seems like a lot for the less successful SC experiments, but it's a great deal on any PS basic wardrobe shoe. Hope a forum member is able to pick them up.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JFKJean
Well maybe that explains why I didn't see **** there lol...I got there right after going to J Crew's sale a couple blocks north (around 11) and man did they have a whole lot of nothing (for me to like at least). From what I saw, it was mostly outdated items I wouldn't wear in bigger sizes

Hit JCrew as well. Found summery pocket squares in the bins of women's beachwear on the right as you go in. They were all samples. $10. I left one for you.
smile.gif

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Just got back from the sale where I batted clean-up. No line around 10am. Grabbed the following:

- dark gray twill suit
- pair of Phineas plaid wool trousers
- one glen check light blue linen sportcoat
- a green plaid vest
- a dark brown twill spring jacket
- a navy blue Phineas shirt jacket meets spring jacket

Most things fit well, but a few will need alterations. Ever since I've been using Pablo down at Stanton Tailor I feel more comfortable buying OTR items that aren't 100% perfect in fit.

Too bad no shoes were in my size. Any I wanted were a half size up or down. Oh well.

what were the pricings on the above?

Thanks!

andyw

Reaction score
Uninspiring merchandise, most of the stuff in my size looked dated and retreived from dead stock. I got off easy with a pair of vivid socks and a polo.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone buying to sell on B&S?

I wouldn't mind sportcoats in a 38S.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
what were the pricings on the above?

Thanks!

About like this:

- dark gray twill suit ($250)
- pair of Phineas plaid wool trousers ($100)
- one glen check light blue linen sportcoat ($250)
- a green plaid vest ($100)
- a dark brown twill spring jacket ($200)
- a navy blue Phineas shirt jacket meets spring jacket ($245)

Considering there were some things I was specifically looking for in that style and they fit well, I'm very happy.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone sees these in a 12E or 13D, please hide them for me.

6018001-171.jpg

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Just got back from the sale where I batted clean-up. No line around 10am. Grabbed the following: - dark gray twill suit - pair of Phineas plaid wool trousers - one glen check light blue linen sportcoat - a green plaid vest - a dark brown twill spring jacket - a navy blue Phineas shirt jacket meets spring jacket Most things fit well, but a few will need alterations. Ever since I've been using Pablo down at Stanton Tailor I feel more comfortable buying OTR items that aren't 100% perfect in fit. Too bad no shoes were in my size. Any I wanted were a half size up or down. Oh well.
I got the light blue linen as well.
inlove.gif
What size did you buy? I bought 38R and they had another one in stock when I made a final pass around 1:30. A really nice coat and a steal for the price. Let's try not to wear it on the same day. Maybe we should have a WAYWT showdown...
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
Ehhh just got back and was not that impressed. A few pairs of of Grenson's in size 9-9.5. All grensons are priced at $250. Decent pair of PC grenson black wingtips in size 9 and 9.5 were not bad, but wasnt thrilled enough with them to pay $250.00. Had a few suede Grenson crepe sole chukkas across the size board @$200.00. Almost bought a grey pair but the fit was too narrow. PC shirts are about $85 bucks down from 287. Saw a couple decent suits in smaller sizes 36, 75% off.
Thanks for not buying the gray suede chukkas! I've wanted a pair for over a year but thought the original price of $487 was bonkers. $200 is still a little high for a sample sale, considering you can get something very similar from Grenson from Pediwear for around the same price, but the gray was just too fun. They are similar to the Grenson Oscar
Originally Posted by mack11211
Overall, starting discounts are more aggressive than last year. How low will they go? We shall see.
I agree. Good prices.
Originally Posted by rtr
Just returned from sale. I don't think the offerings were quite as nice as in some years past, but there were still a few nice pieces. The shoe offerings for my 9/9.5 foot were pretty limited, but there were some basic staple options (though not in great quantity) in 8 and below--black cap toes, black punch caps, and the like. $250 seems like a lot for the less successful SC experiments, but it's a great deal on any PS basic wardrobe shoe. Hope a forum member is able to pick them up.
I think the shoe selection was just not very good, probably on par with last year, but I felt like they had more and better tailored clothing this time. Some really nice stuff.
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Is anyone buying to sell on B&S? I wouldn't mind sportcoats in a 38S.
Let me know what you're looking for. I will be going back for sure.
Originally Posted by bigbris1
If anyone sees these in a 12E or 13D, please hide them for me.
6018001-171.jpg

I think they had them in black. I noticed one nice 13D Stuart's Choice pair in passing. Phew. That was a good sample sale spree, definitely one of the best I've had on a first day. My haul was:
  • Light blue glen plaid sportcoat
  • Light blue glen plaid trousers. They match the coat, but need some major surgery (they're a full 33, I'm a 32). Figured it was worth the shot to get a suit for under $300.
  • Navy linen/cotton patch pocket, unlined, unpadded sportcoat. Classic.
  • Gray suede crepe sole chukkas
And so my wife can share in the fun, I grabbed her a green shawl collar, Scottish cashmere sweater for the absurd price of $65.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Let me know what you're looking for. I will be going back for sure.

Pm sent!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Jamison! It is a great Summer coat. I bought the 38 tall...I actually tried on those Gray Chukkas and would have love to have bought them, but they were an uncomfortable fit for my feet. Great minds think alike!

mylesmyles

Reaction score
Here are some not so great photos opf the Phineas Cole's I picked up. I thought they were a good deal at $250.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mylesmyles
Here are some not so great photos opf the Phineas Cole's I picked up. I thought they were a good deal at $250.

Nice shoes.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mylesmyles

I have these in a burgundy tone - amazing, similar to EG quality. GREAT shoes. SUPER comfy! Did they come with trees?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads