• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta

funny-dog-pictures-vet-honored.jpg

Full view of that memorial:

Wd5.jpg

25 Marine War Dogs gave their lives liberating Guam
in 1944. They served as sentries, messengers, scouts.
They explored caves, detected mines and booby traps.

SEMPER FIDELIS

Kurt Yonnie Koko Bunkie
Skipper Poncho Tubby\tHobo
Nig\tPrince Fritz Emmy
Missy Cappy Duke Max
Blitz\tArno\tSilver Brockie
Bursch Pepper Ludwig Rickey
Tam (buried at sea off Asan Point)

Given in their memory and on behalf of the surviving
men of the 2nd and 3rd marine war dogs platoons, many
of whom owe their lives to the bravery and sacrifice
of these gallant animals.

By William W. Putney DVM C.O. 3rd Marine WarDog Platoon
Dedicated this day 21 July 1994.

Fourth row; second from right is a dog named Cappy.

On a rocky island off the coast of Guam, a Marine line officer named William Putney was leading his men on a mission to flush out enemy soldiers.

Cappy, one of his faithful scouts, went ahead. "Cappy suddenly alerted that there were enemy ahead," Putney recalls. "A shot rang out and it hit Cappy and he jumped up in the air about three or four feet and fell dead."

Forewarned, the Marines were able to take the rocks, killing five Japanese soldiers and taking one prisioner.

A half-century has passed since that September day in 1944 when a Doberman named Cappy saved Putneys life, but the former Marine veterinarian has never forgotten.

On Wed., Putney and other survivors of the 2nd and 3rd war dog platoons will honor their canine comrades with a granite memorial at Naval Station Guam, part of ceremonies marking the 50th anniversary of the island's liveration.

"People ask, 'What's all this hullabaloo about a bunch of dogs that died 50 years ago?" says Putney, the driving force behind the memorial.

"The reason is, these dogs lived in foxholes with their men. They went on and led over 350 patrols. Their handlers killed 301 enemy soldiers with the loss of only one of my men on patrols.

"So the fact that these dogs were killed instead of us and kept us from ever being ambushed or surprised at night makes them heroes in my mind."

Putney, commander of the 3rd War Dog Platoon, arrived in Guam in the summer of 1944. He still remembers it all - stealing down jungle trails steaming under misty rains, nights curled in the uneasy comfort of a foxhole.

Having a dog made the shadows a little less menacing. One night, Putney remembers, a battalion of men without a dog fired off a round after round into the darkness, felling three coconut palms and a water buffalo - but nothing else.

The next night, "everybody wanted a dog in their foxhole" with a sharp nose to distinguish real enemies from harmless shadows, Putney says in a telephone interview from his home near Los Angeles.

But the success was hard won. The first casualty came July 23rd, when a Doberman Named Kurt was wounded by a Japanese grenede. He was the first to be buried in what would become the war dog cemetery.

More followed. "The Japanese had learned when they saw the dogs coming that the Marines would be close behind, and I guess in some kind of weird sense of self-preservation, they must have felt that if they shot the dogs that we wouldnt find them, "Putney says. In all, 24 war dogs were buried on Guam, Putney says. After the war, Putney moved to the Los Angeles area, started a veterinary practice and raised a family. But he never forgot the war dogs. In 1989 he returned to Guam to visit their graves and was dismayed to find the cemetery overgrown and neglected.

Putney found a new home for the cemetery at the naval station and worked with the United Doberman Club on the memorial.

Putney donated a granite monument that will be inscribed with the names of the dogs and the fate of each. It will be topped by a life=size bronze statue of a sitting Doberman, titles "Always Faithful," sculpted by Susan Bahary Wilner.

Wilner, a dog lover who lives north of San Francisco, was thrilled by the commission. "When I heard about it I was in tears, " she says. "Here are dogs that have saved...American Lives. They're finally getting their due."

Dogs have always gone to war. Roman armies used them, and they serve today. Dogs were part of U.S. forces in the Persian Gulf and Somalia, says Peggy Whitlow, spokeswoman for the Defense Department's dog-training program at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas.

The Guam dogs were recruited directly to the Marines by the Doberman Pinscher Club of America, Putney says. Other dogs served in World War II under the auspices of Dogs for Defense, which recruited for the U.S. Army Canine Corps.

On Guam, dog and handler made a formidable scouting team, Putney says. That made the end of a partnership all the more poignant.

The day Cappy was shot, his handler, PFC. Stanley Terrell, ran to the dog's side to cradle the bloody corpse. "Some photographer came up," Putney says. "Terrell looked at me, tears running down his face..."I said, 'Go take your picture somewhere else."

okinawaD16.jpg

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"It's widely held that as US and Allied forces began to count the cost of their withdrawal from Vietnam in 1973, a decision was made to declare many of their war assets (including defunct armaments, transport equipment, military installations etc) as 'surplus military equipment'. Tragically, for the many Vietnam dog handlers, the declaration included hundreds of scout, tracker and combat dogs. It was seemingly proving too expensive to transport them home and repatriate them, given the potential diseases the Government believed they might be carrying.

The website, www.war-dogs.com, which is dedicated to the contribution of dog soldiers in combat, estimates that the some 3000+ War Dogs that served in Vietnam saved the lives of approximately 10000 US and Allied Soldiers, yet only some 200 of them ever made it home.

The website carries a number of harrowing stories from dog handlers as they remember and pay tribute to their dogs. Many of the handlers have still not come to terms with what happened. Almost all the stories recount how their dogs saved many lives. "

wardogs2.jpg

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Portie seems to be in the news.

"Around 1297 a monk noted down the story of how a fisher was saved by a dog of the following description:

"Dog with long, black fur, clipped on the back up to the first rib and down to a tuft on the end of the tail, white on the feet, tip of tail and muzzle."

It is assumed that what he described was a Water Dog."

I've known a bunch in my time. Good breed and hard worker; sensible, but can be mischievous.

Traditional working clip:

portuguese_water_dog_9r023d-128.jpg

lefty

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know if you missed the thread about the Obamas' new dog in the CEsspool, whereI made similar observations but speculated that American show breeding had probably diluted the breed's toughness and working drives. Show breeding seems to do that with just about any breed.

Any thoughts, lefty?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No disagreement here, Jan.

Did you watch that BBC documentary I linked to? Show breeders/breed clubs/kennel clubs have their heads in the sand when it comes to maintaining functional dog breeds. I always find it funny when they insist that certain physical characteristics are there to retain the working ability of the breed when it pretty clear that overall the animal can barely function. The idea that the furrows on a Bulldog's head are there to funnel away the blood when it's on a bull is pretty ******* ridiculous when, on its best day, the dog couldn't reach the ankles of the beast.

My guess is that there are some working PWDs in Portugal, but I don't know of any here other than the few I knew in agility and other US sports.

lefty

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Full view of that memorial:

Wd5.jpg

lefty

great stories... and good to hear that those dogs are being remembered...

lbcgav

Reaction score
My brother had an Akita whose proportions looked very much like this one's. Beautiful dog, all white with a black patch over one eye. She was an extremely territorial dog, having killed both a German Shepherd and a Golden Retriever that wandered into her yard. This was before the dog was bequeathed to my brother by a friend who had passed away.

b_w9.jpg

I remember seeing other Akitas and not being impressed by their looks at all. Their snouts were too pushed in and they looked much too blocky--poor proportions to my untrained eye.

Akita.jpg

centrix

Reaction score
i actually find it more ridiculous that they actually said some of the stuff they said on tv. for example, they kind of stated that if they changed the breed standards, they would lose most of the breeders, thus, they decided to keep the inferior standards instead. personally i would totally just change the standard. if the breeders decide to continue with their inferior breeding ways, then **** them, they dont deserve to be registered with the kennel club.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's a lot of money in pets that look like working dogs. A number of years ago I had one of the first Corsos imported from Italy. Nice dog, ****** hips. I was encouraged to breed her by any number of Corso people as she had an excellent pedigree and reasonable working ability. Corsos have on average 8-10 in a litter and I could have charged $2500-3000 for her pups. Two litters a year ... say five years of breeding - 100 puppies X $3000 ... you do the math. Now, if I wanted to stay in the breed I would have considered breeding her to a decent dog and cull her faults in the puppies as she had many good traits, but I'm not a breeder and didn't want to devote the years it would take to develop a Corso line.

I spayed her and gave her away to a family.

No dog is perfect and you have to be vigilant to ensure your lines are kept clean, but I find the breed clubs to be the most responsible for the decline of the purebred dog in the US. Is it too much to ask that breeding stock achieve a minimum working standard before being bred?

Before a Boxer can be bred in Germany it must pass a ZTP, a conformation, health and temperament test. Involved in the test is a 20Km run at 12-15 km/hr.; a hip xray; a conformation exam where they grade the animal in about 60 categories; and finally a protection test. If the dog fails the ZTP twice it can never be bred. Once the dog passes the ZTP it can be bred but only to a Kennel Club Breed Warden approved *****.

if the dog passes the Korung - a higher level series of tests - it can be bred to any ***** that had passed the ZTP.

Can you imagine how such stringent regulations would go over in North America?

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've come across a few other Lion cuts similar to what the Portie usually wears.

image001%5B2%5D.jpg
image002%5B1%5D.jpg

I believe this is a Caucasian Ovcharka:

Lion.jpg

This one is:

grey-lion.jpg

Bedlington Terrier:

Sam3a__Medium_.jpg

And now some Standard Poodle insanity:

camel.jpg

I hate dog people.

lefty

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bizarre.

My parents' golden retriever was once accidentally given a full nose to tail buzz cut by an idiot dog groomer. She looked pretty ridiculous for about a month while the fur grew back.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That "camel" pic is driving me crazy, so here's a young bandog (bandog x Neo) bred by a friend of mine.

con2.jpg

That's better.

lefty

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Ridgebacks? I put my Ridgie down last spring and I've had thoughts of getting another. Like a lot of breeds, there are a lot of oversized dogs out there but I get the impression that the relative rarity and newness of the breed means that there's less problems with overbreeding, at least so far.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Cool dog. There is some talk about the ridge being a mild form of spina bifida and I know that they can suffer from dermoid sinus, so like all things canine, caveat emptor.

I think some people use them for coursing so you may be able to find a decent dog from working stock that is the proper size. At the very least your home will be safe from lions.

rranlion.jpg

Ever see a Thai Ridgeback?

thairidgeback_Aainageishofer.jpg

Less substance that the Rhodesian, but a little more exotic.

Check your PM.

lefty

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oddly, I thought saw a Thai Ridgeback the other day, but it wasn't black like that picture. It was spotted, I believe. The owner said it was Chinese but he didn't sound like he knew what he was talking about.

Also, my dog had to be put down due to a degenerative spinal condition. I didn't spend the money to get it diagnosed because he was old and had a lame front leg from an car accident, so I knew I wouldn't put him through any kind of spinal surgery whatever the source of the problem. I hadn't even considered that it could a genetic issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads