• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Cuts

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maintenance free and cheap. Can you get any better? I think not.

Cavalier

Reaction score
$50 buys a nice clipper, pays for itsself in a month if you cut your hair weekly like me.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Maintenance free and cheap. Can you get any better? I think not.

Buzz cuts are what you describe, but one problem... the person may not have the head shape and/or facial structure for the cut to look good on them. Very much a case by case sort of look.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
... the person may not have the head shape and/or facial structure for the cut to look good on them. Very much a case by case sort of look.
I agree, they are definitely not for everyone.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buzz cuts are what you describe, but one problem... the person may not have the head shape and/or facial structure for the cut to look good on them. Very much a case by case sort of look.

This is true. Ugly people should cover their faces with as much hair as possible.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
This is true. Ugly people should cover their faces with as much hair as possible.

so im guessing you have the cousin it thing going on?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BUT...in my experience and with talking to a couple other guys who shaved thier heads for a charity thing, many people, for whatever reason, think they have a funny shaped head or will not look good with a shaved head; only to find out that it suits them just fine.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
so im guessing you have the cousin it thing going on?

Nay. Definitely sporting a buzz cut right now.

Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
It's the "I'm balding and don't care anymore" look.

Which is better than the "I'm balding and I'm going to try and cover it up" look.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
BUT...in my experience and with talking to a couple other guys who shaved thier heads for a charity thing, many people, for whatever reason, think they have a funny shaped head or will not look good with a shaved head; only to find out that it suits them just fine.
That's an interesting sidenote I've noticed as well. I'd guess this may be due to the fact that they're simply not used to seeing themselves with the buzzed head, and may be uncomfortable with it for a little while. You have to admit though, there really are people out there who don't look great with a buzzed head. I'm not saying this percentage is "high", just that the group does exist. Likely the best way to know is try it, preferably when your younger and have more room to experiment. Then just find out by asking people who you know will answer honestly.

Reaction score
i just grew out my buzzcut--------------> it has been nice having my antennae back
the higher the hair the closer to god

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I buzz my head girls tell me I look like a little kid. True story.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buzz my hair on a pretty regular basis. I'm not going bald but my hair is very thin and limp and thus hard to style. Which is why I cut it short. I think I have the head shape for it and can pull it off.

Some look better when they do go short. Justin Timberlake is one example. When he buzzed his hair it made him look older, more grown up:

Justin%20Timberlake.jpg

Now I'm not really a fan of his but I think he's able to make it look cool and not dorky. I know I've seen guys who do it and it looks terrible on them (a friend of mine started doing it after he started to go bald, but he had kind of a pointy head so the look doesn't really him). Again, it all comes down to head shape.

It can even help fill out your face if you have a narrow chin. Such as Ryan Gosling:

believer.jpg

Ewan McGregor is an example of someone who has the right head shape for a buzz cut:

11638-19946.gif

The trick for me is to not do it too short. I think some guys do it for the first time and do it without a guard and on the lowest setting making them look like Cancer patients.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There def is a trick to doing it right. In college I used to use the lowest setting but now thats a bit too low. If you use too high of a guard though it takes on a fuzzy mini fro look so I like to thread the needle. I've tried creating a fade to the shortest setting along the back and sides before but it's a tougher to do when you cut it yourself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads