• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many shirts do you own?

needler

Reaction score
It keeps growing. Up to like 25 now. But 3 or so are my very favorites and I feel bad wearing them for non-special occasions. Probably need to get over that.

BAB

Reaction score
i've got about 40 shirts, most of them are english (h&h, tml, h&k, h&c, ct, coles)

madaboutshirt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
PS madaboutshirt - Eton are a Swedish brand.
thanks, I think this is their website: http://www.etonshirts.co.uk/about_us.php As you said, its a Swedish brand. However, I read somewhere on the forum that their shirts are not made in Switzerland (or Sweden), though they do exclusively use Swiss cotton. There is no label on the shirt that says where its made in. edit: oops, I meant Swiss cotton. fixed.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's the quality of swedish cotton? I don't hear them mentioned much.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Never mind. I just checked their website and it's swiss cotton.

Don't know much else coming out of sweden excpet IKEA and Eleiko.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And Saab....
Swedish girls are also quite attractive..
I have 1 Eton shirt bought during the harrod's sales...

Dan Morris

Reaction score
Hi,

Winter & Cooler weather shirts 140 = a mix of Cotton, Wool & Cotten, Cotton & Cashmere, for both business & casual.
Summer & Warmer weather shirts 160 = Most business shirts (about half) which are all long sleeve are Cotton, the casual shirts are a mix of Cotton, Linen, Cotton & Linen in both short & long sleeve.
Few of any of the above are not natural fabrics. Most are either Polo Ralph Lauren or Brooks Brothers, none purchased at full retail price.
Also since the rotation is about three times a season, some of these shirts are close to 25 years old.

madaboutshirt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
^
Never mind. I just checked their website and it's swiss cotton.

Don't know much else coming out of sweden excpet IKEA and Eleiko.

I got Swiss and Swedish mixed up. English is not my first language
smile.gif

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 Zegna mainlines
2 Etro for Fridays and weekends
1 Isaia Yellow Strip that's NWT and doesn't fit me (anyone?)
1 Ferragamo Gray Stripe
1 YSL French Cuff
3 Armani Collezioni various styles
2 Borrelli in various stripes
3 Hickey in Lavender and Pink/blue stripes
3 Neiman Marcus House Brands with contrast cuffs
3 PINK in lovely colors
5 Hugo Boss Black Labels (Stop it. Please, they fit me nice)
3 Robert Grahams
3 Thomas Dean/Tailorbyrds
2 Club Monacos my Fiance got me
about 20-25 Banana Republic shirts (Circa 2005)

= I'd say in the neighborhood of ~ 55-65 Sport Shirts.

super1flavor

Reaction score
Holy Batman, folks!!!!

Just came across this thread while doing a little research. I must go bang my head against the wall now. I just unloaded a bunch of very nice quality shirts and I thought having about 15 remaining was still too much. 100!!!!??? Good god.

I don't know. Now I am having sellers remorse. Plus I am very cautious, but shirts in particular, even cold hand washed don't last long. I get maybe a couple good seasons before they're ready to be placed in the out box. I'm all about ordering a couple new poplin whites or blue oxfords every Spring.

All my shirts are custom order from a high end shop in NYC.

I mean what can someone possible do with more than 20 shirts? 30 max. It's a honest question? I'm trying to understand if my method (annual re-ordering of same shirts) makes more sense than having 50,60,70 or (for the love of god) 100 shirts? How does someone even get dressed in a timely manor in the morning with 100 shirts to choose from?

Wow.

Last edited:

super1flavor

Reaction score
...and this thread seems to challenge much of what I read these days by many in the fashion world that consistency and a "uniform" is ultimately the best thing for a man. One of my buddies, a French guy, pretty much always wears a pressed white shirt in or out and always looks sharp. Like every day.

I just read something on Mr. Porter to A similar extent. I look at some of the most established people in the world and all I can remember is them wearing the same thing like a uniform. In my industry this is true that some of the most successful people seem to always have the same thing on.

I think the best thing I read about this is being a known quantity and if in business, the other party knows what they'll get. And here "was" my previous dilemma. I would often have too much to choose from and stupidly thrown on a plaid print shirt with slim jeans and boots when the occasion didn't call for it. Repeat offender here.

Gotta go to the gym now. I'd really love to hear some opinions on this.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think there's a "right" way to do it. There are dudes well known for their dress who did not wear a "uniform" - the Duke of Windsor is the one I can think of off the top of my head. On this forum, there are posters whose dress changes a lot day to day whose style I admire.

Do what makes you feel most comfortable. If you like the simplicity and consistency of something similar day after day, do that. If that bores you, then have fun with different things. This is a higher variance strategy, of course. And you're more likely to be thought of as a clothes horse this way. But I don't think one path is necessarily more "correct" than the other.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine people that wear jackets and ties would have fewer shirts since ties and jackets can drastically alter one's appearance even with the same white/blue shirt.

But that's only if someone has limited their clothing budget. I have a feeling many people would spend the same amount on shirts no matter the wardrobe.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I've got 85 at the moment--dress shirts and sports shirts.

I don't think this is excessive. I have some good ones and some cheaper ones for walking the dog and other quotidian tasks. I have lightweights for hot weather and heavy shirts for cool weather.

In the past couple of years I have become a big fan of Mercer BD shirts. I am up to 10, and I expect to order a couple more before the year is out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads