• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps worthy of a thread of its own in the CEsspool, but I saw today that a lot of animal nuts are furious that Joe Biden bought a purebred GSD from a breeder instead of adopting a shelter dog. The breeder has gotten a bunch of death threats, as well as a lot of harrassment by local authorities!

I hate PETA!

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since there are a few dog experts in this thread....

Here are a few more pics of the pup I posted back on the first page:

IMG_6515.JPG

IMG_6516.JPG

IMG_6520.JPG

The original pic was probably a week shy of 4 months old; these are about 5 months. She's gone from ~28 pounds to ~36 pounds. The SPCA had her listed as a "Pit mix"; any ideas as to what she might be mixed with?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg

IMG_6520.JPG

The SPCA had her listed as a "Pit mix"; any ideas as to what she might be mixed with?

This pic is pretty much a bang-on representation of a APBT, though her body looks a little long in the other shots for the breed. Either way, pretty dog with a beautiful face.

Shelters often list their dogs as pit mixes to avoid any controversy from humaniacs and adoption interest from the "wrong" people. My best guess is that she's an APBT.

Jan may have other ideas.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Perhaps worthy of a thread of its own in the CEsspool, but I saw today that a lot of animal nuts are furious that Joe Biden bought a purebred GSD from a breeder instead of adopting a shelter dog. The breeder has gotten a bunch of death threats, as well as a lot of harrassment by local authorities!

I hate PETA!

Bloody hell ...

http://www.bidendog.com/

In other news, NY is trying to make docking illegal:

S T A T E O F N E W Y O R K

2009-2010 Regular Sessions

I N A S S E M B L Y

March 26, 2009

Introduced by M. of A. GLICK, CASTRO, COLTON, DINOWITZ, EDDINGTON, KELL-
NER, PAULIN, ROSENTHAL -- Multi-Sponsored by -- M. of A. BALL,
BOYLAND, GOTTFRIED, McDONOUGH, McENENY -- read once and referred to
the Committee on Agriculture

AN ACT to amend the agriculture and markets law, in relation to making
tail docking of dogs unlawful

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, REPRESENTED IN SENATE AND ASSEM-
BLY, DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

1 Section 1. The agriculture and markets law is amended by adding a new
2 section 365-a to read as follows:
3 S 365-A. DOCKING DOG TAILS; UNLAWFUL. 1. ANY PERSON WHO CUTS THE BONE,
4 TISSUES, MUSCLES OR TENDONS OF THE TAIL OF ANY DOG, OR OTHERWISE OPER-
5 ATES UPON IT IN ANY MANNER FOR THE PURPOSE OR WITH THE EFFECT OF DOCKING
6 OR OTHERWISE ALTERING THE NATURAL CARRIAGE OR LENGTH OF THE TAIL, OR
7 ASSISTS, PROCURES, PROMOTES OR ENCOURAGES SUCH CUTTING OR OPERATION FOR
8 REASONS OTHER THAN TO PROTECT THE LIFE OR HEALTH OF THE DOG AS DEEMED
9 NECESSARY BY A DULY LICENSED VETERINARIAN, IS GUILTY OF A MISDEMEANOR
10 PUNISHABLE BY A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS.
11 2. ANY PERSON WHO SHOWS OR EXHIBITS A DOG, THE TAIL OF WHICH HAS BEEN
12 CUT, ALTERED OR OPERATED UPON IN THE MANNER REFERRED TO IN SUBDIVISION
13 ONE OF THIS SECTION, AT A SHOW OR OTHER EXHIBITION IN THIS STATE OR WHO
14 ENCOURAGES, PROCURES OR SPONSORS SUCH AN EXHIBITION, IS GUILTY OF A
15 MISDEMEANOR PUNISHABLE BY A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS.
16 3. ANY DOG OWNER WHO IS INJURED OR DAMAGED IN ANY WAY BY A VIOLATION
17 OF THE FOREGOING PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION, OR ANY NEW YORK ANIMAL
18 RIGHTS ORGANIZATION, MAY INSTITUTE AND MAINTAIN IN THE SUPREME COURT OF
19 THIS STATE A PRIVATE RIGHT OF ACTION, INCLUDING A PROCEEDING FOR A
20 DECLARATORY JUDGMENT, TO OBTAIN REDRESS FOR SUCH INJURY OR VIOLATION.
21 4. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION SHALL NOT APPLY TO ANY DOG OR PERSON
22 WHO IS THE OWNER OR POSSESSOR OF ANY DOG WHOSE TAIL HAS BEEN CERTIFIED

EXPLANATION--Matter in ITALICS (underscored) is new; matter in brackets
[ ] is old law to be omitted.
LBD10199-01-9
A. 7218 2

1 AS HAVING BEEN DOCKED, CUT OR ALTERED PRIOR TO AUGUST FIRST, TWO THOU-
2 SAND NINE.
3 S 2. This act shall take effect August 1, 2009; provided, however, if
4 this act shall become a law after such date it shall take effect imme-
5 diately and shall be deemed to have been in full force and effect on and
6 after August 1, 2009.

The world of dogs that you and I love is changing forever.

lefty

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
This pic is pretty much a bang-on representation of a APBT, though her body looks a little long in the other shots for the breed. Either way, pretty dog with a beautiful face.

Shelters often list their dogs as pit mixes to avoid any controversy from humaniacs and adoption interest from the "wrong" people. My best guess is that she's an APBT.

Jan may have other ideas.

lefty

Looks like a purebred APBT to me if ever I saw one! Frankly, I'd far, far rather have a purebred APBT than a "pit mix" (although I have met some very sweet pit mixes). A lot of pit mixes don't have the same inhibitions against human aggression that you find in a good APBT, and I think these mongrels are responsible for a very large percentage of the horrible maulings and killings that have besmirched the reputation of the APBT.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Looks like a purebred APBT to me if ever I saw one! Frankly, I'd far, far rather have a purebred APBT than a "pit mix" (although I have met some very sweet pit mixes). A lot of pit mixes don't have the same inhibitions against human aggression that you find in a good APBT, and I think these mongrels are responsible for a very large percentage of the horrible maulings and killings that have besmirched the reputation of the APBT.
Thanks to both of you for chiming in. I suspected the same, but I'm far from an expert at this point. Since you mention aggression, Jan - she's taken to barking at people from time to time. This is a recent development as of the past week or so. In fact, back when I got her she didn't bark at all for the first few days. Once she gets to know someone*, she is extremely excited to see them from that point forward. Is this anything I should be concerned about, and any recommendations other than to continue to introduce her to new people as often as possible? *"Getting to know someone" for her generally entails the person giving her a treat, after which she will consider that person to be among her growing list of best friends.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ She's a puppy. Puppies go through a fear/suspicion stage at around 5-7 months, so this is pretty normal. You can encourage appropriate barking and discourage inappropriate barking as you see fit and she should follow your lead easily enough.

Since she's a pit you have an extra responsibility to teach her proper behavior. If this is your first dog, some OB training with a decent trainer would be beneficial for both of you.

lefty

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ She's a puppy. Puppies go through a fear/suspicion stage at around 5-7 months, so this is pretty normal. You can encourage appropriate barking and discourage inappropriate barking as you see fit and she should follow your lead easily enough.

Since she's a pit you have an extra responsibility to teach her proper behavior. If this is your first dog, some OB training with a decent trainer would be beneficial for both of you.

lefty

I would second all this, with the addition that no matter how experienced a trainer you are personally, it's very good to work a dog in a class situation around other dogs. This is especially true with a dog with a high aggression potential toward other dogs like an APBT or a Tosa. It's best to get them habituated to working around other dogs before their adult temperament really kicks in.

I have the sense that she will prove a very friendly, loving, satisfactory dog. However, you would be wise to always exercise caution and management with her around other dogs.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yes, she's my first dog. And yes, there's only so much to be learned from reading books, so I'll have her in a class soon. I've put it off so far only because she's had some carsickness issues that I'm currently working through.

I'm not entirely sure what sort of environment she was in before ending up at the SPCA, but she was very fearful during the first few encounters with other dogs. She seems to have gotten over that for the most part; certainly she's much better than she was. For the most part she ignores dogs that bark at her while we're out on walks. Being new to all this I don't have a good feeling for what is appropriate "play" when she meets other dogs. She tends to whack them in the face with her paw, which I'd prefer she not do.

Speaking of walks, she generally gets 3-4 miles a day...does that sound about right?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Exercise does two things. It exhausts the dog which makes for a calm animal and it provides an opportunity to bond with each other. Use the time to train and teach.

I doubt she turn onto a dog in any game sense, but you need to be vigilant around other animals. OB and a decent leash will take care of that.

She's a nice puppy, dcg. Good luck with her.

lefty

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Thanks guys. Yes, she's my first dog. And yes, there's only so much to be learned from reading books, so I'll have her in a class soon. I've put it off so far only because she's had some carsickness issues that I'm currently working through.

I'm not entirely sure what sort of environment she was in before ending up at the SPCA, but she was very fearful during the first few encounters with other dogs. She seems to have gotten over that for the most part; certainly she's much better than she was. For the most part she ignores dogs that bark at her while we're out on walks. Being new to all this I don't have a good feeling for what is appropriate "play" when she meets other dogs. She tends to whack them in the face with her paw, which I'd prefer she not do.

Speaking of walks, she generally gets 3-4 miles a day...does that sound about right?

Heck yes, 3-4 miles should be sufficient or who would own a dog?

She's a cutie and one lucky pup.

Good Luck with her.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I/my parents have a boxer/lab named Henry who is as docile and deferential as can be (he will let you put your fingers in his mouth), and he has any number of health problems.

They also have a dachshund/lab--Molly--who is in addition to at times quite doting; fat, wheezy, loud, independent, bossy to Henry, and currently sleeping at my feet (I am at my parents' house). To say she is an odd dog is an understatement. She has the body of a daschund with the coat of a lab. And did I mention she is fat? She gets plenty of exercise (as much as Henry who is svelte and strong) and very little of the weight control food. I'll see if I can't dig up a picture of her.

funny-dog-pictures-heroes-shapes2.jpg

funny-dog-pictures-vet-honored.jpg

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The world of dogs that you and I love is changing forever.

lefty

One of several reasons why I am now very hesitant to get another dog. The horrific increases in the cost of veterinary care is another biggie. Kind of ironic since I guess I was well known in East Long Beach for my dogs. Just this evening in the market an attractive middle-aged blonde commented, "Oh, you're the dog walker," even though I have been dogless for 15 months.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are veterinary costs like now? (haven't had a dog to look after for awhile now)

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their increase has greatly outstripped general inflation, that much I can tell you. I think a lot of it is the result of veterinarians going to more aggressive, human-style diagnostic and treatment modalities, and the willingness of owners to pay for this. I'll just say that when I got Zuma in the mid-90s, when he had something minor the matter with him, I'd typically pay $75 or so for a visit to the vet and medications. A decade later, I would always feel damn lucky if I got out of the vet's office for less than $200. Some years ago, if the dog had a lump on its skin, the vet might say, "Let's keep an eye on it for a while." These days they'll rush to get diagnosis on it for $400 or so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads