• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New gap denim

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are not stretching out nearly as much as I hoped they would.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's weird for a lightish jean (and a Gap product). Or can they still be tightly woven but light? I'm such a n00b...

Anyway, maybe just give them time.

Originally Posted by jcrewsmcknight
Sorry, but this is my first pair of selvage jeans so I don't know anything! What exactly do you mean by the fading and combs? Thanks for the help!

Fading is what happens over time, as abrasion from wear between washes makes them look like the pairs in the 'post pics of your denim' thread - like predistressed stuff only 700 times cooler.

Honeycombs are the fading effect behind your knee, where they scrunch up like an accordian or something. After a lot of wear and washes, they look like, you know...

jcrewsmcknight

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
That's weird for a lightish jean (and a Gap product). Or can they still be tightly woven but light? I'm such a n00b...

Anyway, maybe just give them time.

Fading is what happens over time, as abrasion from wear between washes makes them look like the pairs in the 'post pics of your denim' thread - like predistressed stuff only 700 times cooler.

Honeycombs are the fading effect behind your knee, where they scrunch up like an accordian or something. After a lot of wear and washes, they look like, you know...

So I won't ruin them if I wash/dry without wearing them for a while first?

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Don't use any detergent, though. That wouldn't 'ruin' them, but it would drain more color and there's no need.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
If you use the hottest wash temp and the hottest dryer setting for like an hour, yeah it should work.

As I said in the sale thread, 30% off with Gap code through Thurs. PM me. These jeans are a decent buy at that price.

I think the sale is public now. It was on the homepage when I went to go find the name of those jeans.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but this is my first pair of selvage jeans so I don't know anything! What exactly do you mean by the fading and combs? Thanks for the help!
Theres WAAAAY more info then this and this is a breif overview at best but: Well the selvage wouldn't be what you would affect by washing them, the raw (or unwashed) state of them would be. Selvage simply refers to the fact the jeans were made on a shuttle loom and therefore have a selvage trim. The idea behind raw jeans is that you wear them for a long period of time before washing them so that they break in and mold to you. This also adds the faded lines and wear patterns you are used to seeing in your usual pair of predistressed jeans. and combs is short for honeycombs, the creases that form behind your knees in raw jeans. If you absolutely want to shrink them and don't see yourself leaving them unwashed for 3+ months of wear, then go ahead and throw them in the wash the same as you would any other jean.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
I think the sale is public now. It was on the homepage when I went to go find the name of those jeans.

Cool; I'm pretty sure you got the email anyway if you've ever bought anything from them, so it's not like it was a major hookup...

jcrewsmcknight

Reaction score
I'm probably going to end up taking back the standard fit and ordering the straight fit with the 30% off.

IGF-1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
These are not stretching out nearly as much as I hoped they would.

glad i returned them

waiting for the crate x farinelli colab

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm probably going to end up taking back the standard fit and ordering the straight fit with the 30% off.

Why's that? The straight is a significantly softer, washed denim...didn't feel as good as the rigid standard/skinny

jcrewsmcknight

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Why's that? The straight is a significantly softer, washed denim...didn't feel as good as the rigid standard/skinny

I felt like standard fit was a little too loose fitting towards the bottom and covered too much of my feet/shoes. I want to try straight so they're a little less loose and maybe not as big of a leg opening.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
He was going to wash them right off the bat anyway, so it's a moot point. It's easy to forget that we, the people who don't wash our jeans for a year, are a vast minority. I don't even bother explaining to most people since the standard response is "ewwww" I agree however that the straight fit denim isn't as nice as the rigid that comes on the skinny and the standard. But yeah, unless you size down, the standard fit is pretty baggy IMO. I think he will get the look he is going for with the straight.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the straight seemed ridiculously tight on my thighs...but I also have pretty big quads so I can't go very small

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at Gap today. $30 for the straight in Brea, CA.

I also saw some denim advertised as "trouser dyed" or something that was a light powder grey. I'll try to catch them on sale.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Full price as of yesterday at the michigan ave. gap

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads