• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are there no suits for very large drops?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Or three legged men.
that's what my wife calls me
sly.gif

bobdobalina

Reaction score
A 12-inch drop? That's gotta be three sigmas, no? Hard to believe that there's anywhere close to enough money that far out on the tails.

Mr T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I have a business idea for a website that matches men with very large drops with pear shaped men from the same locality so they can go shopping together and simply switch jackets when buying two times the same suit in their right pants size. I'll call it www.bigtops2bigbottoms.com

I have actually pondered the idea of asking about this. The person will be my suit buddy and will be loved. Sort of a sartorial EHarmony.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
There is more diversity of body types than there used to be. Go to a college campus, and you will many men who soon will need to wear suits who are very v-shaped. Very large drops probably aren't as common outside the USA.

No to basically all your points.

I consider my self "normal" My drop is 11" When I was in school any guy in reasonable shape would be thin. Today it's the minority that is thin. A small minority. But large drops are more about body type. I've got a natural defined waist. If I gained weight I'd still need a larger then 6" drop because my weight goes to places other then my gut.

More people outside the US are in reasonable shape. Still more then before .

Separates are better then nothing but a jacket will need to be altered.

MTM is the best choice. We're all built differently. Drop is just part of the problem for those of us that aren't average.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Just get the slimmest suit that fits you in the chest and neck and have the waist altered to give the athletic cut. This shouldn't cost more than $100.

JBird

Reaction score
To all the people throwing out the "meathead" stereotype-

I understand everything now. It's OK to buy expensive clothes to make yourself look good and cover up years of sitting around at a desk and on the couch. It's not OK to work hard at something so you look good underneath the clothes.

And yea, you're also right in that none of us "meat heads" have a job.

Yeesh

JBird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SwedishFish
Just get the slimmest suit that fits you in the chest and neck and have the waist altered to give the athletic cut. This shouldn't cost more than $100.

"Slim" doesn't equal "athletic". Slim suits tend to have skinny arms and don't often fit over the bicep/tricep without being too tight. I tried on a "slim" blazer once. I'm 5'7 and had to size up to an XL to get it over my chest and arms, but then the length was off and the sleeves were 6" past my wrist.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Separates probably are available locally to most men, but more often than not from low-quality brands and without in-store tailoring or necessarily competent tailoring available nearby. If the would-be wearer even has an idea of what the final result should be. Or knows that a sport jacket with odd pants is probably not a fair substitute for a suit when dressing up is required. Maybe it's that kind of introduction to suits - something complicated and lousy-looking - that puts men off to them for a long time. It certainly does someone with the major v-shape no favors when it comes to making impressions.

Another issue, especially for would-be makers, is that a huge drop doesn't automatically mean "weightlifter." Though an extreme drop will be less common in parts of the world without the rather American hobby of weightlifting, there will be some tall, thin men with the extreme v-shape just about anywhere. See a popular poll from about a year ago. (By the way, "Search only polls" would be a nice option to add to the Search function.)

There doesn't appear to be any feasible, simple solution on the way.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the interests of terminological correctness, I should point out that a very minuscule percentage of Americans engage in "weightlifting," which is a very specialized and demanding sport such as you see in the Olympics. There is also the sport of powerlifting, which demands less flexibility, speed, timing and overall athleticism than weightlifting and is more a contest of brute strength. Again, comparatively few people seriously engage in powerlifting. What most people engage in is "bodybuilding" or "weight training." Nor does engaging in any of these activities ensure a tremendous drop. A tiny waist is a weak waist. If you look at most weightlifters, especially in the heavier divisions, they are a thick waisted lot. This is even more true of powerlifters. On a personal note, I should mention that my stepson has been training hard for about five years and still is a good RTW fit with about a 7- or 8-inch drop.

With that out of the way, the fact remains that men with muscular physiques and large drops remain a small percentage of the population. Many of them are probably not habitual suit wearers. Of those that do buy suits, a fair percentage will probably be satisfied with separates. For the rest, there is MTM and bespoke.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBird
"Slim" doesn't equal "athletic". Slim suits tend to have skinny arms and don't often fit over the bicep/tricep without being too tight. I tried on a "slim" blazer once. I'm 5'7 and had to size up to an XL to get it over my chest and arms, but then the length was off and the sleeves were 6" past my wrist.

Ok. In that case get a regular suit that fits well in the chest and shoulder areas and your arms and take in the waist. If this doesn't appeal to you and you have the cash, go MTM or bespoke.

You're making this seem like a major problem when, in reality, it comes down to relatively simple alterations that can be done to most coats at a reasonable cost.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads