• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Men's Clothing Noob Thread

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirt pockets get a big NO from me.
Are shirts without pockets commonly available? If I ever see dress shirts, they have a pocket. Or are these not proper dress shirts?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
+1. When it comes to flexibility, black is way more flexible. And it is accepted enough that while a black shoes are almost expected, brown shoes may cause some folks to raise their eyebrows (which may not be a good thing at an interview).

Eh, in terms of pure flexibility, brown shoes win. If you get a pair of brown captoe bals, you can pretty much wear them with everything from chinos to suit. Obviously there are better casual choices, but they will definitely do in a pinch. Black captoe bals pretty much only go with suits. This is unrelated to the fact that they are the best interview shoe, and should be the first good shoe purchase for any man.

Though I stand behind the recommendations of black shoes for interviews, I recently wore dark brown captoe bals to a very conservative interview and no one noticed. Also wore a white shirt and conservative tie/solid suit, so I really wasn't drawing attention to myself. I see some crazy stuff worn to interviews- fancy striped shirts, bright yellow ties, you name it. Bottom line, have a pair of black bals in your closet, but unless your shoes stand out for some other reason, brown won't always raise eyebrows.

aKula

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
Are shirts without pockets commonly available? If I ever see dress shirts, they have a pocket. Or are these not proper dress shirts?

They can be removed. I don't know the proper procedure though.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. I have a few more questions:

Where can I get a white linen pocket square? It seems the most versatile.

What brands should I look into for a 2 button charcoal suit? Something cheap, sub $200 would be preferable.

Why the hell doesn't the styleforum wiki link work? I probably wouldn't need this thread if that worked.

beau nash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Thanks for the responses everyone. I have a few more questions:

What brands should I look into? Something cheap, sub $200 would be preferable.

Why the hell doesn't the styleforum wiki link work? I probably wouldn't need this thread if that worked.

JAB has simple squares, included white linen with colored borders, for about $30.

$200 for what? PS? I'll sell you one of mine for half that!

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beau nash
JAB has simple squares, included white linen with colored borders, for about $30.

$200 for what? PS? I'll sell you one of mine for half that!

Oh ****! I forgot to add that was my suit budget!
snork[1].gif
I could probably just make my own PS...

wetnose

Reaction score
Value for money, I suggest upping your suit budget to about $300 and looking into M. Valentino on ebay. He sells great suits for the price (contact him separately from ebay for a deal) and has many happy customers.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get it from Kent Wang.

Perfect size with hand rolled edges.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
Value for money, I suggest upping your suit budget to about $300 and looking into M. Valentino on ebay. He sells great suits for the price (contact him separately from ebay for a deal) and has many happy customers.

Sorry but I want to be able to try it on in person, i've never even worn a suit before.

Originally Posted by rioni
sticky this already :/

+1

Originally Posted by Kaplan
Get it from Kent Wang.

Perfect size with hand rolled edges.

Thanks, will kop.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Sorry, didn't see your thread. And I have to bump this, as I have a few more questions.

What material should my first suit be? I'll be in MN and I want to wear it year-round.

What is a 3/2 roll or something I keep hearing about?

Where can I buy shoe trees cheap?

Thanks in advance.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, one more question. Is it okay to wear shoes with broguing to an interview or should it be strictly oxford style?

John152

Reaction score
^^ Sorry, didn't see your thread. And I have to bump this, as I have a few more questions.

What material should my first suit be? I'll be in MN and I want to wear it year-round.

What is a 3/2 roll or something I keep hearing about?

Where can I buy shoe trees cheap?

Thanks in advance.

1) I'll leave this one to someone who knows more about it, but I know the general consensus is that there isn't such a thing as an all season suit. If it's warm enough for winter it'd be too hot for summer and vice versa.

2) 3 roll 2 is a three button suit jacket where the lapel rolls to the second button and the third button isn't meant to be buttoned.

3) Cedarville store link at the top of the page.

sploosh

Reaction score
I havn't bought a suit since I was about 8 and need some help. I need a suit to wear in the winter and fall a few times, as cheap as possible. Preferably in charcoal, or navy. What is my best bet? I am pretty small to the point I may fit in a boys suit. I hate how most of them look though, so preferably a mens line that gets small. I am guessing a 34 from H&M is my best bet.

I am thinking something like this:
HAIRCUT.jpg

Same style shirt, navy tie, and then replace the sportcoat and pants for a charcoal suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics