• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Salvatore Ferragamo ties vs Hermes Ties

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They both seem to specialize in whimsical printed ties. Are these silly novelty ties, or do they have any place in a well-dressed man's wardrobe? Is the quality of one brand any better than the other?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer the Hermes both for silks and pattern. I wouldnt part with a few of my Ferragamo's for the world though, especially the one I have with martini glasses. And I love my London Bus tie, I forget the brand.

Yes, I definitely think they are appropriate everywhere, I have about 10 of each and they go great no matter what situation I am in. Now, some of the patterns are a bit absurd and I wouldnt go into a job interview with them, for example my martini glass ferragamo, but in general they work.

Of note, doctors report more trust with patients when wearing whimsical ties.

Many wont agree. Thats my 'pinion.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really cant bring myself to wear animals and such on my tie. Its too obviously comical. I like to make serious clothes less serious by playing with colors. A tie full of palm trees or bears just slaps people in the face with playfullness and it is just too much.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl

I can see how that would work. If I were a doctor, I'd make a point to wear them. It doesn't have the same intimidation factor as a guy in a suit and tie, because it's a guy wearing a fun tie.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You wear a tie as part of "weekend" or "casual" wear?

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit

yes
bigstar[1].gif

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit

I'm also a bit perplexed by this. I was thinking for wearing around an office wear most people don't really wear ties at all.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By the way, whimsical ties attract the chicks
fing02[1].gif

Imperator

Reaction score
I like both, and wear them all the time. You need to pick wisely though, the designs are hit or miss.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Personally, I prefer the Hermes both for silks and pattern. I wouldnt part with a few of my Ferragamo's for the world though, especially the one I have with martini glasses. And I love my London Bus tie, I forget the brand.

Yes, I definitely think they are appropriate everywhere, I have about 10 of each and they go great no matter what situation I am in. Now, some of the patterns are a bit absurd and I wouldnt go into a job interview with them, for example my martini glass ferragamo, but in general they work.

Many wont agree. Thats my 'pinion.

Off-topic, but how does that work by physician speciality? A pediatrician and probably a family doctor would benefit, but wouldn't it potentially irk patients that a doctor who might be doing surgery for a serious condition would dress to not be taken seriously?

needler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Off-topic, but how does that work by physician speciality? A pediatrician and probably a family doctor would benefit, but wouldn't it potentially irk patients that a doctor who might be doing surgery for a serious condition would dress to not be taken seriously?

A clever secretary who'd worked for a half dozen plastic surgeons once observed to me that the trust and closeness of patients to the surgeons was directly proportional to how informally they dressed. Doing particularly badly were the young guys who loved $5000 suits and $200 ties and the very best was an older man who wore slacks and a turtleneck and used the informality to his advantage to increase the perception that he was a friend, not somebody selling you something.

It's not surprising, there are plenty of studies showing tiny things like sitting down massively change people's subjective perception of what went on. Dressing well can send the wrong message sometimes. I don't think you can allow it to dictate what you wear, but I do consciously consider what message my clothing may convey.

Narciso

Reaction score
The moral of that story is to dress appropriately. You don't want your doctor to treat you as if they were a business man, so they shouldn't dress like one when dealing with you.

I'm not a fan of fanciful ties unless I relate to them in some way. For example I sail, so I like wearing ties with sailboats on them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads