• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are there no suits for very large drops?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't say lack of a market is the reason why ready-to-wear suits never seem to come with more than a 9" drop. Maybe years ago that was true, but with weightlifting and niche websites, there's a reachable market. (Even if you discount that many of those men have little use for suits.) Don't cite tailoring, because the maximum recommended 2" adjustment to the drop-9 suit's waist won't work for someone with a 12" drop and other alterations probably will be needed within the 11" range. Yes, there are separates, but not from many brands and fit issues can come into play. Is it much harder to manufacture a suit with a drop larger than 9"?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if there is such an opportunity and a market that demands it, then I suppose you are the man to go take advantage.

If there are none available, I would say that it is most likely because of demand and business decisions, not persecution of the meatheads.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scale might be a reason. Ralph Lauren, for example, isn't going to mass-produce suits for a rather small market.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
If there are none available, I would say that it is most likely because of demand and business decisions, not persecution of the meatheads.
Do meatheads wear suits?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Don't say lack of a market is the reason why ready-to-wear suits never seem to come with more than a 9" drop. Maybe years ago that was true, but with weightlifting and niche websites, there's a reachable market. ?

It IS lack of market... and it's even MORESO now as America is FATTER than it has ever been.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is more diversity of body types than there used to be. Go to a college campus, and you will many men who soon will need to wear suits who are very v-shaped. Very large drops probably aren't as common outside the USA.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
It IS lack of market... and it's even MORESO now as America is FATTER than it has ever been.

cheers.gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
There is more diversity of body types than there used to be. Go to a college campus, and you will many men who soon will need to wear suits who are very v-shaped. Very large drops probably aren't as common outside the USA.

I'm currently researching entering into a clothing business. Trust me- there are FAR more people pear shaped per capita than there were 20-30 years ago. Get oustide of the microcosm of a campus and you'll see it.

The businesses I've been talking with have seen the sales of suits for the fat go up and up while they can barely move more athletic cuts.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I'm currently researching entering into a clothing business. Trust me- there are FAR more people pear shaped per capita than there were 20-30 years ago. Get oustide of the microcosm of a campus and you'll see it.

The businesses I've been talking with have seen the sales of suits for the fat go up and up while they can barely move more athletic cuts.

How is fat still in? Overplayed, imo.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe that's because people who need athletic-cut suits are young (think lack of money) or have lifestyles that seldom call for suiting up. That overweight people are increasingly common in virtually every demographic is mostly irrelevant. Also, extreme drops seem less common than they are, because in cold weather, in the office, etc., that kind of build is likely hidden beneath unflattering clothing.

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think the populations your describing are usually covered by suit separates. Admittedly few "high end" makers do suit separates, but the majority of populations you described (college students, dedicated body builders) probably aren't out to spend 2000 on an outfit.

I think the ubiquitous theory and calvin klein separates cover this niche rather nicely.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I have a business idea for a website that matches men with very large drops with pear shaped men from the same locality so they can go shopping together and simply switch jackets when buying two times the same suit in their right pants size. I'll call it www.bigtops2bigbottoms.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads