• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maui Jims have the best optics. Go someplace where you can compare them with other sunglasses and you will see. They kill glare and enhance color. MJ has excellent customer service too. It all comes at a cost but if you can justify the $, they have no competition. I like their styles too, mostly aviator variants.

If you are looking purely for "fashion" sunglasses, something else may work better for you.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wags
I find most Oakley's kind of ridiculous unless you're on tour in the military.

They look pretty silly on military types. They should only be allowed on cyclists, triathletes and beach volleyball babes.

TxdoHawk

Reaction score
Oakley has a lot of "hurr, x-treme!" frames, but there's some alright stuff in there. It's the gigantic plastic frames that get promoted, but I guess they just know their audience.
lol8[1].gif

(For what it's worth, I think 80% of the people who wear Aviators can't pull them off, and just wind up looking like douches.)

GQBaller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
They look pretty silly on military types. They should only be allowed on cyclists, triathletes and beach volleyball babes.

MLB outfielders too.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imanikehead
YvesSaintLaurentYSL2146S12517.jpg

picked these up from Nordstrom Rack for $90. some YSL shades, don't know the exact model.

Mercedes Benz has a pair like that with glass lenses if I remember correctly.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oakley may not be the style that most are looking for but they fit snug which is good for sports and also wearing under helmets.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TxdoHawk

(For what it's worth, I think 80% of the people who wear Aviators can't pull them off, and just wind up looking like douches.)

I agree. People just wear them because they are "cool". It just doesnt fit call face shapes and some do look like douches.

Hermitedge

Reaction score
Mosley Tribes - Gates. Does anybody own a pair? How are they? Fit pic?

Can't decide 100% whether I wanna go cheaper with some Rayban wayfarer types (squares or 2140), the Choroid Plexus by CoN, or Mosley Tribe Gates.

Gates
MOSL-UA40_V1.jpg

CoN's
CHRO-MA17_V2.jpg

or ray bans

Squares:
rayban_RB2151_901.jpg

2140s
AG2002140.jpg

funkygroove

Reaction score

Eh, all my ROTC friends get 75% discounts on Oakleys so they are kind of the sunglasses of choice for all soon to be in the military kids. I don't find them especially attractive but I understand the appeal.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own any Mosley Tribes, but the make great sunglasses and are high quality.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dropbeats
Whats wrong with oakleys they look pretty dope to me?
They're over the top, 'extreme' glasses marketted at people that want to look 'cool' and 'trendy', they are just as much a status symbol and marketting stunt as Ed Hardy and iPhones (those two are only related by this comparison and by the gods I hope it stays that way). Unless you really are an athlete who needs to benefit from the high impact durability you might as well stamp 'try hard' on your forehead to complete the look.

dropbeats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
They're over the top, 'extreme' glasses marketted at people that want to look 'cool' and 'trendy', they are just as much a status symbol and marketting stunt as Ed Hardy and iPhones (those two are only related by this comparison and by the gods I hope it stays that way). Unless you really are an athlete who needs to benefit from the high impact durability you might as well stamp 'try hard' on your forehead to complete the look.

uh ok what about the thumps, to expensive for what they are but I like them

Dog wears em

bounty_hunter_oakley_thump.jpg

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hermitedge
Mosley Tribes - Gates. Does anybody own a pair? How are they? Fit pic?

Can't decide 100% whether I wanna go cheaper with some Rayban wayfarer types (squares or 2140), the Choroid Plexus by CoN, or Mosley Tribe Gates.

Gates
MOSL-UA40_V1.jpg

CoN's
CHRO-MA17_V2.jpg

or ray bans

Squares:
rayban_RB2151_901.jpg

2140s
AG2002140.jpg

Having $100 of coupon at Optical shop of Aspen, I tried on the Gates. They looked neat, but weren't really my style. Ended up with the Boroughs. I'd probably buy the gates over the Ray Bans. Still a classic, but with a bit of a modern twist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads