• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When do you retire your shirts?

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
I dont think sleeping in dress shirt is comfortable... specially when most of mine are slim fit.

I meant for my girlfriend whenever she comes over, my older blousy shirts are pretty soft and tentlike, pants optional.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I retire them when i can't stand them anymore or they're full of stains..

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Generally once the collar points show visible wear. I find the rear of the collar points tend to wear through before it's visible from the front, so a favourite shirt might get a short reprieve if there's no visible wear at the front.

I assume this comes from wearing a tie? I've never had the collar wear out on any of my shirts. Usually they just "fade" with time, so I toss them out when I don't think they look as sharp as they should anymore. Some shirts also get a "shine" on the elbow (I'm guessing it's because I sit with my elbows on the table a lot). When any wear is noticeable I take it out of rotation (this goes for most of my clothes).

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
I dont think sleeping in dress shirt is comfortable... specially when most of mine are slim fit.
Yeah. I think also the cuff links can be somewhat uncomfortable in bed...
wink.gif

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont know fellas, fraying? I stop once I see signs of that. Doesnt it make you look kind of po?

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
When either the collars or cuffs or both fray or have holes, it's time to re-collar and re-cuff in either the same cloth or white.

Before undertaking the cost I make sure that the rest of the shirt is in good condition. When there are holes in the body of the shirt or when the front placket frays, it is time to throw-out the shirt.

I have had a few shirts re-collared and re-cuffed 1-2 times.

Some shirts do not merit the effort and expense.

I would say that you can get away with a frayed collar or cuff if the the rest of your ensemble is impeccable. However, if your collar is frayed and you are wearing a worn and aged suit, then you will look down on your luck.

Good luck.

OPTiK

Reaction score
I have some old dress shirts (actually not that old, like 2 years), which has lost their elasticity so they're kind of big on me, those are getting retired. They're Express shirts (go figure), I've recently ventured into the nice italian dress shirts, I'm sure they'll last longer and fit better in the long run.. I'm siked!

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman
When either the collars or cuffs or both fray or have holes, it's time to re-collar and re-cuff in either the same cloth or white.

Before undertaking the cost I make sure that the rest of the shirt is in good condition. When there are holes in the body of the shirt or when the front placket frays, it is time to throw-out the shirt.

What he said. Replacement collars are how I get white collar and cuff shirts.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
custom-made FC shirts I will consider re-cuffing or re-collaring. Fraying RTW dress shirts I move into the casual/weekend rotation; from there they go into the "rag bag" or get binned.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I wear through the cloth, such as the elbow, which has happened recently! Don't worry that shirt just gave me spare buttons!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I stop wearing mine when I no longer like them or when they develop holes. Fraying doesn't bother me at all.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some I toss at the first sign of any damage or fraying and other shirts I develop a deep, long-term bond and have trouble tossing until they are falling apart. I have a few from the mid 80's that I still wear. I especially like, old frayed OCBDs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads