• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer shoes

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Outside of band aid colored dress shoes and Jack Purcells, I've never given them much thought. Can you guys give me a run down? In particular, I'd appreciate somebody telling me the differences between dirty and white bucks, but also any other good suggestions would be welcome.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
823_26_08_08_8_33_17_1.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
823_26_08_08_8_33_17_1.jpg

That is an absolutely horrific picture. It burned my eyes. BTW, who made the shoes you wore in WAYWN with that awful belt? Those were great.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Boat shoes are an excellent choice for summer. Good with shorts, khakis or jeans.

I have dirty bucks as well. Great with jeans or khakis. Also would likely be good with a summer suit.

I'm not sure about white bucks. Seems to me you need to live below the Mason-Dixon and wear seersucker suits with bow ties to pull them off.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is an absolutely horrific picture. It burned my eyes. BTW, who made the shoes you wore in WAYWN with that awful belt? Those were great.
I thought that you would be attracted by that epitome of manliness.
The shoes you are looking for are from C&J, Newquay in ginger suede on the 341 last (which is called "bulbous" by some blasphemic forumites).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wait, cordovan longwings aren't summer shoes?

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Boat shoes are an excellent choice for summer. Good with shorts, khakis or jeans.

+1

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear boat shoes and penny loafers during summer. Dirty bucks would be a great choice.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

+1.. those are not summer shoes..

I actually wear the plain old, inexpensive JCrew version of the buck in summer. I bought mine a couple of years ago, in white and tan, but these are pretty similar:

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...7335/67335.jsp

Ominously, they are "imported" now, whereas the ones I have are at least made in Italy.

Having left Chuck Taylors behind forever once I picked up a 3 handle, I bought these (the tan colored ones) when I want to wear something sneaker like with shorts..

http://www.zappos.com/product/7504023/color/206735

And there's always the good old topsider when all else fails..

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If i'm wearing shorts, it means I already don't care about how I look = boat shoes or worse. If I do care how I look, unlined penny loafers.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find suede tassel loafers to be far nicer summer shoes than the ubiquitious boat shoes.
On the other hand, boat shoes are part of the uniform.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
I find suede tassel loafers to be far nicer summer shoes than the ubiquitious boat shoes.
On the other hand, boat shoes are part of the uniform.

I think the thing for me is that bare feet and suede just seem to = sweaty feet in my mind.. I am not sure if it is true, because I have never done it, but they just seem like they would be hot..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads