• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why can't i have a black suit?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much have you contributed to the discussion? Why don't you make a definitive guide to business dress or the black suit?

Originally Posted by SlamMan
+1.

I love how this topic comes up a couple times a month and still ends up a 50+ post thread.

82-Greg

Reaction score
I own one. I wear it from time to time. I don't believe it works everywhere and really doesn't work very well during the summer. I also wear brown and tan suits; and even worse, I wear them in the city! Brits in particular regard as this brazen act as nearly if not clearly criminal.

Black is not favored by Americans aware of men's style. However, fashion houses are always showing some male model in black. If you go to European cities, everyone wears black.

For a first suit, I would opt for navy or blue. Far more versatile.

I don't see any problems wearing black. Of course I also work for a secret government agency...oops, I'm not supposed to talk about that. Just look at the pretty red light on the end of my pen....

Captain.Kia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 82-Greg
For a first suit, I would opt for navy or blue. Far more versatile.
This a trap?
confused.gif

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Between 1875 and 1998[citation needed], Brooks Brothers did not make an off-the-rack black suit, because of the myth that Abraham Lincoln wore a bespoke black Brooks frock coat when he was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth. As a result, the traditional American rule is that black suits only are proper for servants and the dead[2]." from wiki article on brooks brothers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Brothers

Stavros

Reaction score
I find it hard to understand how otherwise smart and practical dressers in this forum dislike the idea of the black suit so much. I think a black suit makes sense for someone of young age who doesn't wear suits at work. A well-fitted black suit can be smart club-wear and paired with the right, subdued, accessories has a certain hip/urban vibe about it. What is wrong with wearing it with a white or very pale blue shirt, with or without tie, especially if your complexity is one of "high contrast". It can also be dressed down with a pair of dark jeans and casual shoes (e.g. black casual boots or sneakers) for situations spanning a range of casualness. It is finally weather-proof as, assuming it is a fine wool cloth, can be worn all year-round.

A lot of women regard black suits/jackets sexy, and even in my eyes, this bold look is associated with nightlife and youth. When you are young you care more about women and looking good when you go out, than being correct in the "sartorial tradition" sense.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
"Between 1875 and 1998[citation needed], Brooks Brothers did not make an off-the-rack black suit, because of the myth that Abraham Lincoln wore a bespoke black Brooks frock coat when he was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth. As a result, the traditional American rule is that black suits only are proper for servants and the dead[2]."

from wiki article on brooks brothers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Brothers

whats this got to do wtih black suits? You mean they got inaugurated in black suits? My memory isn't very well, but when Lincoln got inauguriated, the only film that could capture the moment was in black and white anyway.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
whats this got to do wtih black suits?

"Between 1875 and 1998, Brooks Brothers did not make an off-the-rack black suit"

Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
You mean they got inaugurated in black suits? My memory isn't very well, but when Lincoln got inauguriated, the only film that could capture the moment was in black and white anyway.

Who said anything about inauguration?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stavros
A lot of women regard black suits/jackets sexy, and even in my eyes, this bold look is associated with nightlife and youth. When you are young you care more about women and looking good when you go out, than being correct in the "sartorial tradition" sense.

Yeah, a black suit can be good for night-life, there is a certain something about a black suit with a skinny tie and a white shirt, but they can seem pretty stark in the day with a white shirt, and don't look as good with a coloured shirt as a navy or charcoal suit.
If you are getting your first suit, then it stands to reason you want it to be as versatile as possible, and the navy or charcoal is probably going to be more versatile.
That said if you really like the black go for it, but make sure you look at the suit out in the sunlight before you do anything irrevocable.

TEDSgrad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Holy ****, 2 posts since sep 2007 ? Lurk much ?

Feel free to punish my opinions. Personal attacks prove you to be small - Punisher.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like black suit, but not pure black but black with pinestripe or black with shadow stripe. I have 3 black suit, all has some sort of very subtle pattern, but then I also got 4 navy, 2 chorcal, so not really a problem as far as switching things around. If you're only going to buy 1 suit, then my suggestion would be navy blue with or without pinestripe. That's the most versatile in the business world in my opinion (and various other events). For going out or party theme, I would say a black suit is sexier, and that is not decided by me but by ladies, and in the end of the day, their opinions counts...

theber

Reaction score
I don't like black suits in the summer because I find them to be too hot. Black retains heat. Or maybe thats just me.

I also think that a plan black suit can look...boring? I prefer them with a subtle pinstripe or texture, something to break it up a bit.

theber

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with, as long as it's not your only one and your careful when to use it.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with wearing a black suit, so long as it's a quality suit that fits you well and compliments you. But that should be a given no matter what the colour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads