• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
I agree with Nataku, there are items that I thought I could flip that are really nice that I struggled to sell, and other that were ok that brought good money. Two thing I've found if you can pick them up cheap to flip on E-Bay are Brooks Brothers Dress button downs (casual and dress) and Bills Khakis. I've also done well with Hugo Boss even though it doesn't get much love here. I've actually had a hard time selling Armani, found a really nice jacket at a consignment and by the time I re-listed it and had the fees I lost money. Unless you plan to try to use it for yourself, I wouldn't spend more then $5-10 on something you are going to try to flip.

My observation is that ebay, SF and AAAC have become noticeably weaker lately for flipping, even on items which have been easy sellers before. I have become much more picky about buying things which aren't my size. Today I passed on a new solid charcoal gray Hickey Freeman Boardroom suit at SA for $12. Why? It had no HF tag on the lining and it was a 39 S. It had the inner tag inside an inner pocket which had the size and model.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
My observation is that ebay, SF and AAAC have become noticeably weaker lately for flipping, even on items which have been easy sellers before.

No doubt about it.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
that is not a bad thing in and of itself

It is a bad thing. I thrift nice stuff and sell at minimal markups. Sometimes I lose money. Look at my post above. If you were a 39 S and wanted a good suit would that have been a good buy for you? You could have bought a like new Hickey Freeman Boardroom for $30.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a bad thing. I thrift nice stuff and sell at minimal markups. Sometimes I lose money. Look at my post above. If you were a 39 S and wanted a good suit would that have been a good buy for you? You could have bought a like new Hickey Freeman Boardroom for $30.
leave thrift items for those who need the thrift prices, or only buy stuff for yourself then
smile.gif

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
leave thrift items for those who need the thrift prices, or only buy stuff for yourself then
smile.gif

So if you saw a pair of Lobb's sitting there and they weren't in your size you'd leave them?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the market is dictating what is bought and sold. c'est la vie. not a bad thing. if there was a big market for HF boardroom suits for $30 in a 39S, you could flip it easy. If minimal market, makes no sense for you to try to buy and then flip. Now if it was an isaia in a 39S, there would indeed be a market of some sort for that. Watch the forum. The great stuff, at very good to great prices get sold within 24 hours or before it hits market (through PM word of mouth, etc).

The so-so, inherently less in demand stuff at higher prices stays around for a while, as it should.

The incos still get sold fast.

Frenzies still happen, frequently.

And high quality stuff is getting sold on here for more affordable prices - at least in my opinion.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
So if you saw a pair of Lobb's sitting there and they weren't in your size you'd leave them?
I have a hard time believing he's talking about items like Lobbs. of course those would be a good pick-up. if it's more like coats, suits, jackets, or shirts, you should probably leave them for the more needy than trying to flip them.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ The "needy" don't nessisarily need Isaia suits, Borrelli shirts and Oxxford ties. I think it would be safe to say they would be satisfied with the NWT Gap and Apt. 9 shirts I often come across. I'd say there are some things that we all know are not "leave-behind" items, such as the names I mentioned above. I used to be agaist flipping, but then I figure if I flip it and use the money towards something I like/that fits me, it'd like like finding it in the thrift as It would only cost me what I paid for the initial item + whatever eBay fees.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also doubt he cares. He was just clearing out the closet. A homeless guy doesn't need that suit -- there's no shortage of warm clothing in thrift shops. And 95 percent of people wouldn't distinguish an Isaia from a Cricketeer.

The point of the exercise, really, is for the thrift shop to make money off the sale. Doesn't matter to whom, or why. If they wanted to go to the trouble of listing stuff on eBay in hopes of making more money, they could. But that's not how the shops work. High volume = steady income.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt the guy giving away the Isaia suit did it so that someone could come along and make some money off of it.
He did it to support the work of the charity supported by the thrift store. That is done in several ways, only one of which is providing low cost clothing and household items to low income shoppers. Thrift stores often provide jobs to the handicapped, rehab programs to the addicted and training to the unskilled. All of these programs are supported by the sale of thrift store merchandise. I have been personally told by the heads of Goodwill, St. Vinent dePaul and Salvation Army in this area, that purchases made for flipping are not only welcome, but encouraged.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
He did it to support the work of the charity supported by the thrift store. That is done is done in several ways, only one of which is providing low cost clothing and household items to low income shoppers. Thrift stores often provide jobs to the handicapped, rehab programs to the addicted and training to the unskilled. All of these programs are supported by the sale of thrift store merchandise. I have been personally told by the heads of Goodwill, St. Vinent dePaul and Salvation Army in this area, that purchases made for flipping are not only welcome, but encouraged.
of course, Goodwill makes money no matter who buys the items. I'm just surprised to see so many "they don't need ___" responses.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
of course, Goodwill makes money no matter who buys the items. I'm just surprised to see so many "they don't need ___" responses.
Why? There are literally millions of unwanted garments in thrift shops across the country. No one's sleeping cold tonight because he couldn't find a shirt or sportcoat at a thrift shop.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Why? There are literally millions of unwanted garments in thrift shops across the country. No one's sleeping cold tonight because he couldn't find a shirt or sportcoat at a thrift shop.

rofl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads