• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cigarettes

Artigas

Reaction score
I smoke Manitoba cigs. They sent me a singing fish.

pinchi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theber
But is there not something slightly elegant about pulling out a cigarette case, lighting it with a fine vintage lighter and smoking with a little panache as opposed to bob the builder with his roll-up hanging from his lip or pinched between his nicotine stained fingers.
If someone pulls out a cigarette case, my reaction would be the same for a man wearing a cape: affected, self-conscious and insecure rather than elegant. Why would his fingers be any less stained than as his less "classy" fellow smoker? Does he also wear white gloves? In any event, the sociological fact is that smoking has become a lower class sport (particularly in the U.S. but increasingly elsewhere, too). The link with (high) "class" is more and more tenuous.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Have you seen the tax increase on roll-your-own tobacco thought? The tax on a pack of cigarettes will go up $1. The current tax on a pound of loose tobacco for roll your own is about $1.10, and it will go up to almost $25. You are probably paying less than $25/lb currently, so the new tax could triple or quadruple your cost.

Wait, what? To be honest, I got that bit of info word-of-mouth, and didn't research it. So is this a state-enacted tax?

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yall need to move down south...the increase is wack but we started so low it's like it doesn't really matter that much. I'm still paying less than what I paid in Chi two years ago.

BTW I started smoking Winstons on a tip from some sufu dude and I am loving life. For real, everything else you can find at the gas station tastes like dirt in comparison.

theber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinchi22
If someone pulls out a cigarette case, my reaction would be the same for a man wearing a cape.

Would you say the same of a hip flask or a decanter? It is merely something to hold them in that is more aesthetically pleasing than the package they came in. A slightly pretentious affectation, possibly, but not on par with the eccentricity of wearing a cape.

In any event, the sociological fact is that smoking has become a lower class sport (particularly in the U.S. but increasingly elsewhere, too). The link with (high) "class" is more and more tenuous.

Too true. But how much of that is the current health trend amongst the "higher class". How many people have a gym membership they never use just because they think they should have one. Or are prepared to pay ridiculous prices for organic health foods. How much of this hatred of smokers is due to its adverse effects or current social trend. I'm not dellusional, I know the health risks and other downside. I'm also not trying to justify my addiction, which I am fully aware is what it is but there is definately a social witch hunt against smokers.

Al-Wahid

Reaction score
As a former WHO official put it, cigarettes are the only legal product sold that will kill you when used exactly as intended. I have absolutely no problem in banning smokers from inside our public places and taxing them to help fund our almost bankrupt government. Vices should have a cost attached to them.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Wait, what? To be honest, I got that bit of info word-of-mouth, and didn't research it. So is this a state-enacted tax?

This is the recent, federally enacted, Obama-signed, legislation.

The largest tobacco tax hike in history went into effect on Wednesday.

The tax on cigarettes climbed from 39 cents to $1.01 per pack.

For cigars, tax went up 700-percent, from 5 cents to 40 cents each.

Roll your own tobacco was taxed $1.09 per pound, but has jumped to $24.78 per pound -- a 2,173-percent increase.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If someone pulls out a cigarette case, my reaction would be the same for a man wearing a cape: affected, self-conscious and insecure rather than elegant. Why would his fingers be any less stained than as his less "classy" fellow smoker? Does he also wear white gloves?

In any event, the sociological fact is that smoking has become a lower class sport (particularly in the U.S. but increasingly elsewhere, too). The link with (high) "class" is more and more tenuous.

This is why one uses a cigarette holder.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I don't smoke, and have never been tempted to; but I totally agree with the idea (even if its simply propaganda bullshit) that smoking makes one look 'cooler'.

pinchi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theber
How much of this hatred of smokers is due to its adverse effects or current social trend. I'm not dellusional, I know the health risks and other downside. I'm also not trying to justify my addiction, which I am fully aware is what it is but there is definately a social witch hunt against smokers.

Relax, my friend. As a taxpayer, I´m very happy you have chosen to pay huge amounts of taxes and (statistically speaking) forego half your public pension. I don´t care what you do to your body, but I take it for granted that you´re considerate enough to not pollute my lungs and nice clothing when you decide to smoke.

BTW, can any self-described addiction ever be considered "classy"? Much as I enjoyed Trainspotting, I don´t find anything elegant in being a heroin addict. But I´m sure there are some who think the paraphernalia are really "cool".

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do you really think anyone smokes cigarettes to "be classy"? That would be absurd.

pinchi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Do you really think anyone smokes cigarettes to "be classy"? That would be absurd.

To quote the original post:
Originally Posted by RamNYC
To be honest, I think at times smoking can be quite classy.

Paerra

Reaction score
I'm surprised to see so many anti-smoking advocates here; as if there weren't enough anti-smoking literature and propaganda already available in the media circuits.

The fact of the matter is that smoking delivers undeniable benefits to its users. As a drug, it provides a potent buzz comparable to few others. In social gatherings, smoking can act as a link between strangers, and the mere act itself can bring people together. If done correctly, smoking projects a positive, classic image - that of an individual indulging in a relaxing activity bereft from stress or worries. Obviously, smoking is a high-risk activity. Nobody here is denying the possibility that there are negative outcomes that may possibly result from smoking. In excess, and over the long course of time, smoking has the capability to cause a multitude of health problems and diseases. We're all adults here, though, and there is no doubt about the destructive capability of cigarette smoking - I don't see why there is a need to lecture everyone about it.

There are risks associated with almost every enjoyable activity. There are low-risks, such as enjoying one cigarette in the evening, enjoying a steak dinner, or drinking a glass of wine. There are also high-risks, such as smoking over a dozen cigarettes per day, eating red meat every day, or continuously drinking alcohol all week. But for god's sake, demonizing cigarette smoking as the only harmful thing in the world seems so naive and short-sighted.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Paerra
I'm surprised to see so many anti-smoking advocates here; as if there weren't enough anti-smoking literature and propaganda already available in the media circuits.

The fact of the matter is that smoking delivers undeniable benefits to its users. As a drug, it provides a potent buzz comparable to few others. In social gatherings, smoking can act as a link between strangers, and the mere act itself can bring people together. If done correctly, smoking projects a positive, classic image - that of an individual indulging in a relaxing activity bereft from stress or worries. Obviously, smoking is a high-risk activity. Nobody here is denying the possibility that there are negative outcomes that may possibly result from smoking. In excess, and over the long course of time, smoking has the capability to cause a multitude of health problems and diseases. We're all adults here, though, and there is no doubt about the destructive capability of cigarette smoking - I don't see why there is a need to lecture everyone about it.

There are risks associated with almost every enjoyable activity. There are low-risks, such as enjoying one cigarette in the evening, enjoying a steak dinner, or drinking a glass of wine. There are also high-risks, such as smoking over a dozen cigarettes per day, eating red meat every day, or continuously drinking alcohol all week. But for god's sake, demonizing cigarette smoking as the only harmful thing in the world seems so naive and short-sighted.

well the only problem i have with smoking is that is personal habit that affects the people in ths surrounding area in a negative way possibly affecting the health of people that do not smoke, the junkie that shoots up and properly disposes of the needle is less offensive than a smoker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads