• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Men's Clothing Noob Thread

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, there's no small questions thread here, so maybe other uninformed posters can use this thread for small questions. I have a few of my own:

If i'm going to buy just one suit, what color should it be in ? I want to be able to use it for job interviews and funerals, if possible. I'm pale white, if that makes a difference.

What kind of shoes should I get with this suit ? Which color is most versatile ? Something cheap also. (Under $200)

What is the formality of barrel cuffs versus french cuffs ? Which one is worn with suit ?

Do shirt pockets matter at all ?

Is the shiny no-iron shirts I see at target something to avoid ?

Thanks in advance.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what pocket square fold is most versatile? what colors? how many should a man own?

davidsj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
I want to be able to use it for job interviews and funerals, if possible. I'm pale white, if that makes a difference.

LOL.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, there's no small questions thread here, so maybe other uninformed posters can use this thread for small questions. I have a few of my own: If i'm going to buy just one suit, what color should it be in ? I want to be able to use it for job interviews and funerals, if possible. I'm pale white, if that makes a difference. What kind of shoes should I get with this suit ? Which color is most versatile ? Something cheap also. (Under $200) What is the formality of barrel cuffs versus french cuffs ? Which one is worn with suit ? Do shirt pockets matter at all ? Is the shiny no-iron shirts I see at target something to avoid ? Thanks in advance.
The standard SF responses, in order: Charcoal or navy solid, some say charcoal is more versatile Black captoe bals. Classic answer is AE park ave, but I would tell you to get a corporate discount card at Jos. A Bank through Borders and order the recently re-released Fifth Ave (punch cap), which will be 279- 15% so just about 240, if you need them in a rush. If not, take your time looking. French cuffs by the "rules" are only for use with a suit and tie, but this rule is broken regularly (I don't see anything wrong with odd jacket + FC + tie, for example). Get barrels for most versatility, esp. for interviews. Shirt pocket is a personal preference, really. Yes.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
what pocket square fold is most versatile? what colors? how many should a man own?

Depends on the material- puffs look kind of silly with anything but silk to me, and by the same token, TV folds look really weird in silk. Get white linen, from there, it's your choice.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay, there's no small questions thread here, so maybe other uninformed posters can use this thread for small questions. I have a few of my own:

If i'm going to buy just one suit, what color should it be in ? I want to be able to use it for job interviews and funerals, if possible. I'm pale white, if that makes a difference.

What kind of shoes should I get with this suit ? Which color is most versatile ? Something cheap also. (Under $200)

What is the formality of barrel cuffs versus french cuffs ? Which one is worn with suit ?

Thanks in advance.

IMHO

Dark navy blue suit.

Buy both Black and brown shoes and alternate to suit (No pun intended)

French cuffs all the way but this is often according to the occasion.

Shirt pockets get a big NO from me.

Shiny, non-iron shirts look like shiny non-ironed shirts! Don't go there.

Stick with (for me) white, off white, pale blue, darker blue (oxford), and pastel pink shirts.

In all of this shirt colour buy a tie plain blue tie to match the suit.

If you want to add to the look/flexibility then buy a pair of Prince of Wales check trousers. Dressed up or down with the above will get the discerning nodding and others secretly admiring but not knowing why.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

1. Charcoal or navy
2. A+E Park Avenue in black (can be found on sale)
3. Barrel are somewhat less formal, but this is largely a matter of personal taste;
4. Many here do not like shirt pockets as a style matter, otherwise, your call;
5. I am not familiar with Target shirts. If you browse around, you will find fine options discussed on this forum.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a basic question - would peak lapels with patch pockets be a total sartorial oxymoron?

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
I have a basic question - would peak lapels with patch pockets be a total sartorial oxymoron?

Firstly, you probably mean SB peak lapel jacket. For example, peak lapels on DB and patch pockets are not a problem in most cases. So its SB version that is at discussion.

there are many many levels of complexity here that can play a role. Shape of the lapels, weight, pattern texture of the fabric, cut of the jacket and all that can make or break the decision. If you really want to know... it can be discussed--- again.

But as a genral rule. NO. avoid SB peak with patch pockets. In fact avoid SB peak on most cases at all out side of a worsted / flannel city suit.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If i'm going to buy just one suit, what color should it be in ? I want to be able to use it for job interviews and funerals, if possible. I'm pale white, if that makes a difference. Grey notch lapel, side vented, two button suit. What kind of shoes should I get with this suit ? Which color is most versatile ? Something cheap also. (Under $200) Dark brown cap toe oxfords with leather soles What is the formality of barrel cuffs versus french cuffs ? Which one is worn with suit ? Barrel cuffs are most versatile Do shirt pockets matter at all ? No shirt pocket! Is the shiny no-iron shirts I see at target something to avoid ? Anything you find at Target should be avoided Thanks in advance.
Your welcome

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist

Trick question.

In most case the answer is "YES" and should be avoided.

If, however, the jacket carries a tag/label that says "Brunello Cucinelli", then proceed with utmost enthusiasm. And If you won't, there's 100 people who will.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Your welcome

As much as I love brown shoes, I would generally not recommend them for a job interview

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
As much as I love brown shoes, I would generally not recommend them for a job interview

I wont hold it against you

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
+1. When it comes to flexibility, black is way more flexible. And it is accepted enough that while a black shoes are almost expected, brown shoes may cause some folks to raise their eyebrows (which may not be a good thing at an interview).

ThomasMagnumIV

Reaction score
Hi, could anyone tell me which colour of the Clarks variety of desert boot would go best with black jeans?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads