• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

davidsj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I recently heard from well informed secret sources that bacon doesn't taste so good after all. I thought I'd share in case it could help someone before a weekend of potential brunches. Can't reveal my sources but they are well respected experts in the field

If I end up disliking bacon, the cost to me is minimal. Thus, I am not going to rely on an "expert" or "hearsay" in my decision to try bacon.

If I end up having my favorite bespoke suit ruined by a tailor, the cost to me can be immense. Thus, I am more apt to rely on both "experts" and "hearsay." Note that "hearsay" can also come from "experts."

I see your point that hearsay is often unreliable, but I think the other guy is just trying to say hearsay is sometimes the only evidence we have before we take a big chance on something.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davidsj
I see your point, but I think the other guy is just trying to say hearsay is sometimes the only evidence we have before we take a big chance.
I know the thread is very long but if you spend the time to read it you'll see all the direct experiences of people who actually did/do go to Wilfred. Coming behind that with unsubstantiated gossip that people in the field say negative things is certainly NOT the only evidence here. It's sticking as the last one and considering the quality of the source (i.e. inexistant), I'm very much intent on counterbalancing the act of sabotage.

davidsj

Reaction score
Back on topic, I got my sport coat back from Cardelino's today (I had it shortened). Did as good of a job as I expected.

I also dropped some pants off to get tapered and he immediately seemed to know what to do between the three pants (i.e. one could get tapered just from the knee to look fine, but the others would have to go up above to the thighs).

I do have some significant restructuring I need to do for a suit so I'm torn as to whether to take it to Wilfred's or LNC or Hong Kong Tailor Jack...I'd send it off to Cardelino but I just want to try someone new.

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I know the thread is very long but if you spend the time to read it you'll see all the direct experiences of people who actually did/do go to Wilfred. Coming behind that with unsubstantiated gossip that people in the field say negative things is certainly NOT the only evidence here. It's sticking as the last one and considering the quality of the source (i.e. inexistant), I'm very much intent on counterbalancing the act of sabotage.

If you apply that same standard to your own offerings on this subject, exactly what distinguishes your OPINION from any other form of "hearsay"? Simply that you CLAIM to have had such marvelous experiences with Wilfred? Please tell me how that is any different from saying others have had a different experience? Look, for better or worse, this is an anonymous forum. That makes everything written here (except by those who have identified themselves in "real life") a matter of hearsay - your anonymous posting is no different than anyone else's anonymous posting. You have had a good experience, that's great for you and for all his other satisfied customers - you should keep going to him and telling others.

I think it is a disservice NOT to share different OPINIONS, with all the proper caveats (all of which, you will remember, I gave - namely that I have no idea whether this is good or bad information since I have no direct experience with Wilfred), so others can weigh all the OPINIONS offered and make their own decisions. That's not an act of sabotage, that's a difference of opinion

TC11201

Reaction score
Back on topic, I got my sport coat back from Cardelino's today (I had it shortened). Did as good of a job as I expected.

I also dropped some pants off to get tapered and he immediately seemed to know what to do between the three pants (i.e. one could get tapered just from the knee to look fine, but the others would have to go up above to the thighs).

I do have some significant restructuring I need to do for a suit so I'm torn as to whether to take it to Wilfred's or LNC or Hong Kong Tailor Jack...I'd send it off to Cardelino but I just want to try someone new.

Glad to hear that it turned out well. Was it the son or the father?

davidsj

Reaction score
TC, I think he's just trying to say that from the board's perspective, the information you heard from your unnamed sources is less reliable than a poster here who is posting his actual experience.

And to your second question, it was the father. The son looks really young...

TC11201

Reaction score
TC, I think he's just trying to say that from the board's perspective, the information you heard from your unnamed sources is less reliable than a poster here who is posting his actual experience.

And to your second question, it was the father. The son looks really young...

I get what he's saying and don't disagree completely, but I'm not sure that sitting on this info is doing anyone a service. My point is that more opinions should be welcomed. I feel like I disclosed my relevant experience (or lack thereof). He obviously has a special place in his sartorial heart for Wilfred - good for him, more happy customers are better than fewer. Folks on these boards are obviously smart enough to make up their own minds.

As for Cardelino, the father is quite good in my experience as well. Only bummer is when I walk in there expecting to get the father (since he's in the store) and instead, he sends out the son, while dad mans the desk...hard to tell him that I don't want his son doing the measurements and work...

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC11201
I get what he's saying and don't disagree completely, but I'm not sure that sitting on this info is doing anyone a service. My point is that more opinions should be welcomed not met with such venom. I feel like I disclosed my relevant experience (or lack thereof). He obviously has a special place in his sartorial heart for Wilfred - good for him, more happy customers are better than fewer. Folks on these boards are obviously smart enough to make up their own minds.

As for Cardelino, the father is quite good in my experience as well. Only bummer is when I walk in there expecting to get the father (since he's in the store) and instead, he sends out the son, while dad mans the desk...hard to tell him that I don't want his son doing the measurements and work...

if you dont want the son who is obviously part of this package deal, you must not go there anymore

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've had 40+ suits and sport coats tailored at Wilfred's. IMHO, Manny is the finest in the business. I wouldn't go anywhere else, ever.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads