• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular Opinions

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Personally I hate No. 2 and No. 1 is ruined by those crinkly pants. Don't anyone tell me matching pants to that jacket in No. 1 wouldn't improve that outfit.

Sprezzatura.

There is such a thing as looking too perfect.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Superhero: I'm laughing at you... you'll figure out why some day.

Metlin: I dislike most of these, but the last one is the exception - I remember it from the WAYWN thread, but for some reason I didn't remember it as including a sportscoat (as the outfit looks good, so in my mind I didn't make the connect with a sportsjacket).

Outfit two looks like a retired naval lieutenant - all that's missing is a strip of mission bars on the breast pocket.

Outfit three is ok, but the belt is overkill. Still, even with the belt it's too beige and monotonal.

Outfit four is in a different class, partly because there are no wrinkles in the pants (or the shoes for that matter...) But mainly it's because the colours match in the jacket and shoes, and this balances the outfit well, whereas usually a sportscoat/chinos make you look like two halves of two discreet people wearing different outfits, glued together.

Perhaps a rule can be established - sportscoats should compliment something in the bottom half of the outfit to make the look appear "whole" and give you balance, rather than drawing the eye just to the jacket half.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Superhero: I'm laughing at you... you'll figure out why some day.

I'm terminally ill. Tell me now.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
What if I'm an old man trapped in a young man's body? *dodders*
Wait, I thought you were a young man trapped in an old body?
Originally Posted by Nexus6
My Dislikes (whether mentioned here or not).... 05) Thin Ties & Fat Ties (3"-3 1/4" is best) 17) Thin Sole Shoes (I don't want to feel every pebble I walk on) 18) Bath Robes, Smoking Jackets, Sheepskin Slippers
5 + 17 - Agreed 18 - Why hate some of life's greatest feelings of pure luxury!? A bathrobe and slippers can make you feel like the most relaxed guy on the planet and a smoking jacket like the richest cockiest SOB. My list includes: 2 inch cuffs Pants too short. Little-no break is one thing, a gap where I can see your socks is bad. Too many fricken patterns, colors, accessories, etc to look at. You just look like a clown. Functional button holes, why does anyone actually care about these? Pocket squares all the time. It's not always appropriate The hate towards black suits, pants, or shirts. (I know, flame on). It's just another color like grey or blue and most people have them. They have their place and aren't just for funerals. (I realize this may be simply a matter of disagreeing with "the rules") that's all I can think of for now.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Can I add sprezzatura to my hate list??

Read: "try hard to look like I haven't tried at all, and succeeding".

Fatigue and dyslexia transforms 'sprezzatura' into 'spermatazoa'
eh.gif

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
<enter stage>

OK, this is going to get me a lot of snarky comments, but its good to get this out of my chest. Before I start, I lean more towards 'Trad' than 'iGent' and some of my comments reflect that. Note, I only said "lean".

These are the things on SF that seem popular but I don't really give a crap about:

-- Most G&G and Lobb shoes
-- All chisled toe shoes, whatever the make
-- dainty looking italian shoes
-- artificially antiqued shoes and fake patina
-- Bile colored shoes
-- very wide spread collars
-- overly crazy PS/tie combinations
-- ticket pockets in jackets

These are some of the trends at SF I don't really undestand:

-- Topy hatred
-- AE love but alden hate
-- less than a full break on trousers. Very,very few people get the break working properly here. On many, a no-break just looks stupid.
-- dislike of penny loafers I see here
-- PS just for the heck of having one - sometimes you are better off w/o one.
-- Lavender shirts
-- light tan shoes with navy trousers
-- the obsession with slim fit (Kent Wang slim fit shirts are just insane )
-- THICK watches that people think is 'manly' (omega/rolex included)

And my biggest peeve so far:

-- the hype about BlazerSuit.
(sorry Manton, I just don't get it. No offense intended, this is just how I feel)

Manton describes the Blazersuit thus:

Originally Posted by Manton
3 roll 2, 3 open patch pockets, swelled edges, brown horn buttons. Avoids the ubiquity of brass buttons. Horn makes the coat wearable as part of a suit. Brown makes it wearable as an odd jacket. Patch pockets and swelled edges dress it down a little further, but not so much that it does not work as a suit. Not a dinner party suit, maybe not even a Big Meeting suit, but wearable in almost any other circumstance.

Because blue buttons would make the coat too "suity" in my opinion. Brown straddles the gap better. It works well either way. Blue horn, on that cloth, only works as a suit. Brass only works as a jacket. Brown transcends.

But Vox summed it up better in his SwissArmySuit thread without making any judgements (emphasis below is mine) :

Originally Posted by Voxsartoria
Once upon a time, Manton was getting a casual odd jacket made up in navy fresco, and instead of putting metal blazer buttons on it, he settled on brown horn. The jacket had other features to make it more casual: patch hip out pockets and swelled edges[/b]. While the jacket was being made, he had the thought that trousers in matching material could made the combination pass for a versatile suit, particularly good for travel. The Amazing BlazerSuit was born... read all about it here.

How in the world does brown horn buttons make this a "suit"? To me, the BlazerSuit is only a blazer - even if worn with "matching trousers". I will never wear a blazer with matching trousers and call it a suit in any sense - esp if it has three patch pockets. The fora's double standards really show up here: wearing a suit jacket with odd trousers to pass it off as a blazer is utterly "wrong" and a newbie asking if this is right would be condemned to hell. But Manton does the reverse (the brown horn buttons being the only exception) and he gets high praise. Just doesn't make sense to me. I never really understood the hype in the first place but I kept quiet.

The SAS makes a much better attempt with the way the whole button swap is thought through and exectued. I particularly like the transformation from "suit" to "blazer" with the metal buttons. Who agrees with me?

Maybe the sartorial gurus here should start a thread and write about what they think seperates a blazer from a suit. Maybe then I will learn.

In any case, let the
fight[1].gif
begin. You will be charged for the
lurker[1].gif

<exit stage>

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Button-down (collar) shirts. Ugh. UGH. *shudder*

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Group thiniking on SF and pensee unique will be my obvious hate.
The guy with the green chino and the odd jacket is looking good ...It is very hard to pull it out outside urbane Italy...
He is very creative and brave..

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dlion0721
dark colored shirts
I also hate dark colored dress shirts. I recently was in a meeting with a man wearing a black shirt with a tie. Having to look at it for an hour or so reaffirmed my dislike for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads