• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

Ochowie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hugene
I've had terrible results with Saks. They don't really listen to what you want to do and they take as long as a month to get your alterations done.

Ditto on this. I've had some stuff done at Saks, not only was the guy who measured it not pleasant to work with, but the work came back really shoddy. If it wasn't for the fact that it was a free alteration (Saks elite card) then I would have had them redo it.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ochowie
Ditto on this. I've had some stuff done at Saks, not only was the guy who measured it not pleasant to work with, but the work came back really shoddy. If it wasn't for the fact that it was a free alteration (Saks elite card) then I would have had them redo it.

Yah, they should lose their job. They are beyond awful. One of them is also like 102 and looks like he has been chewing on fire crackers his entire life. I guess that would put me in bad spirits too.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dropped two blazers off at LNC in Chinatown recently for easy alterations (shortering sleeves, slim sides)

$20 for sleeve shortenig
$35 to take in side and seat

Will post results on Friday

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping this thread....

Recently moved to Manhattan and am currently living in Chelsea. Need to get the pants finished on a suit I just bought, but also need to get three Uniqlo shirts (bought in Japan) and a pair of chinos hemmed.

Wilfred is very close to my apartment and I was planning on going there to get the suit pants finished; however, using him for the other things seems like overkill. Any suggestions?

(Does Uniqlo do alterations for free on Uniqlo things purchased elsewhere?)

davidsj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landho
Wilfred is very close to my apartment and I was planning on going there to get the suit pants finished; however, using him for the other things seems like overkill. Any suggestions?

I just dropped off a jacket at Cardelino (b/w 23/22 on Broadway) to get shortened, the quoted price was $45 which sounds very reasonable to me. I asked him about pants, and he quoted $15 to get them tapered from the knee down, and $25 to get the entire leg recut (slimmed). Sounds extremely reasonable, so you may want to check him out.

Just to comment on the other posts, the older father greeted me, was very friendly and spoke very good English.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
I dropped two blazers off at LNC in Chinatown recently for easy alterations (shortering sleeves, slim sides)

$20 for sleeve shortenig
$35 to take in side and seat

Will post results on Friday

Interested in the results. I have to get some sleeves let out, sides taken in, and some pants waist taken in and hemmed. LNC was on my short list in terms of price and location.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Interested in the results. I have to get some sleeves let out, sides taken in, and some pants waist taken in and hemmed. LNC was on my short list in terms of price and location.

I use him all the time, great guy for the easy stuff. Not willing to do more complicated work.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
I use him all the time, great guy for the easy stuff. Not willing to do more complicated work.

I'm guessing complicated work would include alterations such as shortening a jacket's length or narrowing the shoulders?

I don't think I need any major suit surgery.

Can he take in sleeves at the shoulder?

Thanks a lot!

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62

+1 on the rec for LNC. Excellent work, excellent prices, fast turn-around when he isn't deluged with work. He can also do pretty good bespoke clothing (you just need to know what you want when you get in there, from style, to stance down to general weight of the canvass, etc.). I've also used Cardelino for alterations. have found the results good, not great, and far more expensive than LNC. I go to cardelino when the wait at LNC gets too long. Just a couple of notes on LNC - his default for hemming pants is a full break, but he isn't militant about it, so tell him if you want a smaller break; he also defaults to less rather than more waist suppresion on jackets, so again tell him if you want something more.

RobSay24

Reaction score
I need a place to bring my new RLPL cashmere blazer to have sides taken in, working button holes, and shortening sleeves. I live in Chinatown and was thinking about going to LNC based on the recommendations. For those who have used their services, would you be comfortable bringing a garment of this quality for them to work on?

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RobSay24
I need a place to bring my new RLPL cashmere blazer to have sides taken in, working button holes, and shortening sleeves. I live in Chinatown and was thinking about going to LNC based on the recommendations. For those who have used their services, would you be comfortable bringing a garment of this quality for them to work on?

I would be without hesitation. He is a very good tailor and would have no trouble with that type of work. I've taken him many, many items of similar quality (Isaia, Battistoni, Kiton, etc.). He really knows what he's doing - a number of other members who know lots abt NY tailors share my opinion. A couple of words to the wise - 1) don't expect a hushed, wood paneled shop, this ain't close, but the prices are very good as a result, 2) he'll try to dissuade you from doing working cuffs, just insist and he'll do them and do a great job, 3) his default will not be to do a substantial amt of waist supp, so if that's what you want, make sure to tell him and he'll do it (ditto any back shaping if that's what you want / need).

As I mentioned previously, he has done a few custom sportcoats and pants for me and has done a terrific job each time (his work is broadly comparable too other bespoke items of mine from other tailors (HK and SR) who get lots of positive press on these boards) - as long as you know what you want at a relatively specific level and communicate that, he'll get it done. If not, you'll get a very well made and well fitting garment, but with some drapiness and not huge amts of shape. The workmanship is very good, just don't expect much if any guidance on style choices / preferences.

IMO, he's a far more capable tailor than at least the son at Cardelino (FWIW, at Cardelino the father is good, but still not as good as LNC).

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I'm guessing complicated work would include alterations such as shortening a jacket's length or narrowing the shoulders?

I don't think I need any major suit surgery.

Can he take in sleeves at the shoulder?

Thanks a lot!

He can do that without a problem - just ask nicely. he's pretty busy from what i've seen, which may explain his reticence to doing complicated work.

RobSay24

Reaction score
I'll probably give him a try. I've walked by the store many times; practically grew up at the park near the shop. But I've never thought much of the store. How much do you think my alterations will run?

TC11201

Reaction score
The sleeve shortening and waist aren't expensive - he seems to charge me less each time I come in (have been going to him for 10 years, so I suppose it's a friends and family discount) - my guess is something like $25-35 (depending upon how much he needs to do with the shoulders and back). The working cuffs I think run about $65-$70 total for four on each sleeve. He's a nice guy (limited English, but he manages to get across what he needs to), so my advice would be to chat with him - some have found that it leads to a discount.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OT, but since this has been bumped, I finally found an alterations tailor in the burbs to whom I will entrust my suits. The test came with an unlined BL linen blazer I brought him last week to take out the side seams. All the seams were frenched on the inside, and I made a point of pointing that out to him. He did a great job putting it all back together and so won my confidence. No more hauling stuff down to Cardelino or Wilfred for me.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

He's a Korean who says he'll make custom suits too, although I doubt I'd go that far.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads