• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SwissArmySuit™: a sartorial strip tease

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
This is all terribly, terribly exciting.

Keep two rolls handy nearby for cleanup:

or1ati.jpg

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcc123
Hey MagnaVox, does Steed charge extra for this Transformer work or is the price the same?

I'd rather not say lest it lead to false expectations. I would contact Edwin direclty if you're interested in such a caper.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Keep two rolls handy nearby for cleanup:

or1ati.jpg

- B

Well, my wife calls me Peter North sometimes, and we do have double rolls, but not in such an industrial style.

braised

Reaction score
I want the ribbon of gold kruggerands and the throwing knife, oh sorry that's Bond's attache.

At least we should have a toothpick and tweezers, no?

Far too much work and bother, not to mention the fact that small things have a tendency to misplace themselves when travelling.

B

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Speak for yourself.

I was going to post those exact words, but then I thought, "I'd better read the rest of the thread before I do that."

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pblasco
This idea really intrigues me. I work in a super casual field, and live in a very casual town, and so do not have cause to wear anything above casual clothes that often. So spending the money to have many outfits made just doesn't strike me as too sensible. But having something that can fill multiple roles drastically increases the amount of value I get out it. But perhaps thinking about value when you are talking about bespoke clothes is not exactly the point =)

No, I think value is definitely a valid consideration. A separate blazer would have cost me $2K more even with the currrently favorable exchange rate. Even for someone who might not be overly concerned with cost, that is the same as getting a completely free jacket.

And, for me at least, going from a three piece suit with navy horn buttons to a two piece suit with MoP buttons changes the whole character, and really is like having two suits. So, that's another $3K there (or whole new suit, a more fun way to think about it.)

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by braised
I want the ribbon of gold kruggerands and the throwing knife, oh sorry that's Bond's attache.

At least we should have a toothpick and tweezers, no?

Far too much work and bother, not to mention the fact that small things have a tendency to misplace themselves when travelling.

B

The only extra work for me was in thinking about it, and then entertaining you nerds.

I've managed to make it to 46 without losing a cufflink, but I suppose there is a first time for anything...

- B

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
It's like ******** for the first time. At first, you are all amped up and excited. Afterwards, it was just meh.

Are you talking giving or receiving?

jcc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Well, my wife calls me Peter North sometimes, and we do have double rolls, but not in such an industrial style.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I think the jacket is very well done. The contrast between the formal 3-piece and the blazer pictures is striking and shows that the SAS does exactly what it was intended to do. Nice.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I think the jacket is very well done. The contrast between the formal 3-piece and the blazer pictures is striking and shows that the SAS does exactly what it was intended to do. Nice.

Thank you, MooMoo.

- B

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Very neat. But the real show-stopper is still the fit and cut of this particular suit, which stands out even against the other things Steed has made you.

+1. The jacket is really well cut regardless of all the button hoo-ha.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool, Vox. How long does it take for you to switch out all the buttons? I'm wondering if you could go from the boardroom to your hotel room, quickly transform the 3-piece into the metal-buttoned blazer, and then saunter into a more casual cocktail hour at the hotel bar in Guinness world record time.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I wish I were smart enough to figure this out. Vox, your posts are always informative and entertaining. I'm dying to know what it is you do for a living.

Not that this is all that bold a statement, but I'm sure it has something to do with the jacket. He's gone out of his way not to show us any closeups of the jacket, even though we got some closeups of the vest and trousers. I am guessing that he could wear any other trousers with this to dress it down.

I can't imagine it's reversible. How the hell would you get the thing to look right? The shoulders, drape... and the sleeve buttoning would be impossibly complex. And he mentioned the lining.

The jacket could be dressed down with more casual buttons, so I'd guess that the buttons are interchangeable in some simple fashion. Still, putting gold buttons on a one-button jacket might appear odd.

But that can't be it. Trick buttons are neat, but not all that novel.

I'd like to point out that I was the first person to be right on this.

bigstar[1].gif

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NakedYoga
Very cool, Vox. How long does it take for you to switch out all the buttons? I'm wondering if you could go from the boardroom to your hotel room, quickly transform the 3-piece into the metal-buttoned blazer, and then saunter into a more casual cocktail hour at the hotel bar in Guinness world record time.

I would guess 5 minutes, tops.

The question then becomes, how many people at a cocktail party would notice the change from:

A) 3-piece to blazer
B) 3-piece with navy horn to MOP buttons

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads