• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to tell if a jacket is fused or canvassed?

Bruce9241

Reaction score
I went into 3 day suit broker today to purchase a suit and the salesman was not very knowledgeable. In fact, he even tried to BS me about lapels.

How do I know if a suit is canvassed or fused? I don't really want to spend too much on a suit because I am a college student. But I also want something decent, that will last.

rimshot.gif

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fully canvassed or half-canvassed? How can you tell if something's half-canvassed? TIA.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to revive this thread because while I think I know what the difference is, what makes canvassed suits better? And could someone explain half-canvassed a little bit better for me? Thanks.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
I wanted to revive this thread because while I think I know what the difference is, what makes canvassed suits better? And could someone explain half-canvassed a little bit better for me? Thanks.

Drape. A canvassed suit will drape better and feel better on the shoulders. Also fused construction will look like crap after being dry cleaned too many times.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if its a dark suit with say black or dark blue button hole thread, you will see the canvass (as a light tan color) wedged inbetween the fabric and intermingled in the thread of the hole, very easy to see if it is full canvass or half. Additionally, you will feel if it is half canvassed by running your hand down the front and feeling where the canvass ends.

phxguy

Reaction score
Working on the "pinch test." A few of my suits/coats seems to be canvassed in the chest (clearly three layers of not fused fabric), but not the lapel. I thought even half-canvassed jackets had canvassing in the lapel. No? Or am I maybe feeling a floating chest piece vs canvassing? Or just really missing something with the concept?

Incidentally, the reason I ask is that I've gotten wavy lapels on a few jackets lately, which I assume is from fusing gone wrong(?), and for that reason am trying to understand how to shop better.

Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads