• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsnydes

Reaction score
Looks almost like Salvage to me...

73079436_42edb5f62f_d.jpg

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ There's a Jump the Gun thread. Also, several people have made purchases from them lately, Get Smart being the most prominent. Check the Recent Purchases thread.

Regarding email responses... I've sent them several emails, and always got a response within 48 hours. YMMV, of course

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahjota
^^ There's a Jump the Gun thread. Also, several people have made purchases from them lately, Get Smart being the most prominent. Check the Recent Purchases thread.

Regarding email responses... I've sent them several emails, and always got a response within 48 hours. YMMV, of course

Thanks for the help man. I will look into the Jump the Gun thread. I looked into the Recent Purchases thread and Get Smart only got their short sleeve stuff so I didn't want to bother him.

About the e-mail, I'm just impatient. Haha. I sent other stores e-mails and quite a few of them never responded. *cough* Ben Sherman *cough*

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seattle People:

Where's a good place in the city to get my shoes topy-ed and possibly resoled. What can I expect price wise for getting rubber on your shoes? Resoling?

DECEMBER

Reaction score
I'm looking for a comprehensive noob guide to shopping for denim online and more specifically, selvage denim. Things I'd like to know: the purpose of different washes / different colored jeans (light / dark / blue / black). When/wear to wear them? what does washing raw denim do? Or what happens after a few months of wear and you finally wash it? how to care for selvage denim? How to find the perfect fit? Length? (I came across this article that says to have 4 extra inches of length because it shrinks? wtf? http://www.thevine.com.au/fashion/re...nim-guide.aspx) what do the measurements 15oz 20oz mean? How much quantity of the fabric is weighed? I've never ordered denim online so I'm not sure what the measurements mean. I need help getting this right the first time because I'm thinking about ordering some jeans from selfedge or KMW from contextclothing in the future. Also, what is the general consensus here on Express Men Denim?

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You really should just lurk more, but I'll humor you.
Originally Posted by DECEMBER
the purpose of different washes / different colored jeans (light / dark / blue / black). When/wear to wear them?
What's the purpose of different colored clothing of any type?
what does washing raw denim do? Or what happens after a few months of wear and you finally wash it?
It cleans it, and will wash off some indigo dye. If you do not wash often, the indigo will wear down faster in certain areas, giving you contrast fading. Washing often will tend to spread indigo evenly throughout, giving you more uniform fading.
how to care for selvage denim?
Same way you care for regular denim.
How to find the perfect fit?
Length? (I came across this article that says to have 4 extra inches of length because it shrinks? wtf? http://www.thevine.com.au/fashion/re...nim-guide.aspx)
Only unsanforized/shrink-to-fit denim shrinks significantly; unless the jeans you're getting are specifically marked as such (and you probably shouldn't be getting them if you're a noob to denim), don't worry about it.
what do the measurements 15oz 20oz mean? How much quantity of the fabric is weighed?
The weight of one yard of denim.
Also, what is the general consensus here on Express Men Denim?
I doubt anyone here has much experience with Express denim, as it's not a brand particularly known for denim (or anything else, for that matter).

DECEMBER

Reaction score
I do lurk I found out some info but I still don't know how to find the right fit.

and the question about the different colors, people say lighter colors for summer, but does it really matter?

Yea I'm a noob but everyone has to start somewhere. I'm won't be buying selvedge anytime soon like I said but maybe 6 months - year in the future.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ How do you find out if a shirt or any other article of clothing fits you? You try it on. Honestly, this should be common sense. Once you've found something that fits you the way you'd like, you can take measurements and use those as a reference for future purchases, but you're going to have to try stuff on to have a starting point.

And some people like wearing lighter colors for summer. Some people don't care. It's fashion; there are no hard and fast rules.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how do penfield shirts fit? would a small fit slim or would it be boxy or baggy?

im a small in AA, H&M easy iron shirts and an XS in jcrew.

davo10375

Reaction score
Online stockists of Pierre Hardy mens shoes besides barneys.com?

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People surely have different opinions on the matter, but it's always been my understanding that the suit you wear to the interview shouldn't really STAND out. Something like a charcoal or navy suit paired with a white shirt and solid tie, for instance, seems appropriate. You want the interviewer paying attention to you, not your suit.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do lurk I found out some info but I still don't know how to find the right fit.

and the question about the different colors, people say lighter colors for summer, but does it really matter?

Yea I'm a noob but everyone has to start somewhere. I'm won't be buying selvedge anytime soon like I said but maybe 6 months - year in the future.

Keep lurking and posting occasionally. Don't try to learn everything overnight. I barely knew what raw denim was when I stumbled upon this place last fall. I more or less lurked for the first four months, observing and getting a feel for things here. Sure, if I had questions, I often asked them. But I found that a lot of these questions could just as easily be answered through smart searching.

As for the fit, yeah, try stuff on. If you live in an area where better brands aren't available, it's going to be difficult to gauge quality. That's where this place comes in. But if you're just searching for the right fit, try stuff on. Get a feel for what you're comfortable in.

Or better yet, take accurate measurements of yourself. This will give you a good idea on how to size crucial shirt measurements, such as chest and shoulders, not to mention measurements for pants like the thigh.

genericman

Reaction score
fairly unfamiliar with topman.... do their suits fit like shipley&halmos as shown below?

S&H
2v28h2w.jpg

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say that Jump The Gun responded very quickly to the e-mail I sent them and were very helpful. Looking back at my previous post may have kind of hinted (unintentionally) that their response time is slow but was in fact very fast. I was just very impatient. I was referring to most other companies being slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads