• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Colors From My Boat Shoes Are Bleeding...

The Musician

Reaction score
Ok, I recently bought my first pair of Sperrys in the Brown/Brown color way, and the brown dye from the suede material is bleeding on to my feet and socks (it was cold outside). I have no idea what to do. The dye is turning the soles of my feet an orange color and dying my socks brown.

Is this normal with Sperrys? If it is, how long will it be before the colors stop bleeding, or is there something that I can do to stop this?
confused.gif

Sorry that I started a new thread, with such a low number of posts, but I've done a bunch searches on this subject (on SF and Google!) and came up empty handed...

Thanks ahead of time for the help!
smile.gif

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for what its worth, thats not unusual.
i've had two pairs of sperrys in the past 2 years, different colors (brown/blue) and both have done the same.
at the very least, it does stop after some wear, but it is kinda annoying. maybe try wearing just darker colored socks

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't wear socks with boat shoes, asshole.

jqbomb

Reaction score
fwiw my beeswax desert boots did the same thing for a while too.

dave

Reaction score
it's natures way of telling you boat shoes are ugly as sin.

The Musician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zazaza
for what its worth, thats not unusual.
i've had two pairs of sperrys in the past 2 years, different colors (brown/blue) and both have done the same.
at the very least, it does stop after some wear, but it is kinda annoying. maybe try wearing just darker colored socks

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that.
smile.gif

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a big deal. Stops after you've been wearing them for a while...

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not wearing socks is just nasty, get van socks for slip ons, you cant see them.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard of this happening, but its a normal part of the aging process of leather, dyes bleed. I wouldn't worry about it unless your sperrys look unnatural from it, if you're not doing anything bad to the shoes and taking care of them you can assume that this bleeding is SOP.

Pro tip: If it's too cold to be sockless you probably shouldn't be wearing boat shoes.

Tip 2: Shoe trees will help with odor and hygiene, boat shoes are designed to be worn sockless

Personal note: I rarely like the look of socks with boat shoes

skiwebster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101

Tip 2: Shoe trees will help with odor and hygiene, boat shoes are designed to be worn sockless

Don't use shoe trees in boat shoes. They are supposed to lose shape, look worn-in, etc. If you are concerned about hygiene and odor, use some powder or something.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
don't wear socks, it will stop happeneing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads