• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cigarettes

sayaret

Reaction score
since coming to israel i've got the bug of this country's national vice...currently benson & hedges are my poison

theber

Reaction score
This is a very old thread but i thought I'd bring it up again.

We are currently going through a health crusade in the UK. Smoking is banned in all enclosed public places. It can be difficult to rent a flat if you smoke. Cigarette packs now have pictures of cancerous lungs and babies on ventilators. In Scotland they are considering banning vending machines and displays in shops.

It's getting the same with alcohol. Adverts on TV about not exceeding the recommended amount of units per day. For men that is 3 to 4. Depending on what you drink that is under 2 pints. That would work out at 3 bottles of wine per week being the MAXIMUM a man could drink. Think about it, does 3 bottles of wine in 7 days seem excessive when you take into account weekned parties, nights out etc. You must get yor 5 fruit and veg a day but too much fruit will damage your teeth. Frankly it is getting over the top and ridiculous.

I smoke occassionally and drink but not to excess (often) I know all the associated health risks. I am sick to the back teeth of having it rammed down my throat on a constant basis. If I follow all the rules and advise life could become a lot more dull.

As for people who constantly tell me to stop smoking, if it directly affectsyou, fine, I shall do it elsewhere. If not, sod off and let me live my life you sanctimonious *****.

Sorry for the rant but had to get it off my chest.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I smoke Dunhill Reds. very infrequently though.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
I smoke Dunhill Reds. very infrequently though.

I began smoking Dunhill red in the mid 90's on business trips. It became full-time in '99 but then quite in 2004. I took them up again for a month-long trip to Europe in 2005 when you could still smoke indoors in most countries.

I enjoyed every cigarette I ever smoked. I only gave them up because of allergies.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Alcohol, coffee, and coca-cola are all so much better when enjoyed with a cigarette. For me, I can easily have a few smokes at the bar during the weekend and still won't feel like smoking the rest of the week.

The reason I smoke it purely for the taste. Most foods taste better with a cigarette. There's nothing tastier than enjoying some drinks with grilled snacks and a smoke after work. I would have to turn vegan to get off the smokes...

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I began smoking Dunhill red in the mid 90's on business trips. It became full-time in '99 but then quite in 2004. I took them up again for a month-long trip to Europe in 2005 when you could still smoke indoors in most countries.

I enjoyed every cigarette I ever smoked. I only gave them up because of allergies.

I was told that they were going to discontinue them due to the cigarette paper used as it doesn't burn a certain way. But I guess they fixed them.

I need to buy a cigarette case again, a slim one that I can fit in my pocket...one of the best things ever.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Dunhill Reds are now $8 a pack in the Fey Area.

I paid 9-fiddy in Vegas.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Camel Turkish Silvers
or
Lucky Strike (unfiltered, or course).

Granted, I live on Tobacco Road.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I smoke the Nat Sherman Classic.. the brownish box that says "Classic" on the front.

I usually go to the Nat Sherman store to buy my cigs (it is on 42nd near 5th). They give you free samples and let you test out all the cigs in the store. It is kind of a weird experience. Just sit there in the store and start lighting up a selection of cigs.

My favorite cigs are those French ones called Gaulloises. But i havent been able to purchase them here since the honorable Bloomberg came into office. IF anyone knows where I can buy those online, let me know. I dont mind paying some kind of tax or import duty. I also like the Camels in the powder blue box that they sell in Europe.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well apparently in five minutes a pack of smokes will be taxed a dollar more here.

I roll my own so it doesn't affect me, but I'm still livid about this bullshit.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Though I smoke, I'm not a pack a day person, so I don't mind the tax.

PERhodes

Reaction score
It's an annoyance but it's never going to change in our favor. I'll keep dishing out the money rather than quitting. What can I say, I like to smoke. In Mass. I'm already paying around $7 for a pack of Marlboros; the state tax increase didn't do anything to curb my habit, and neither will a federal tax. I've cut down on my own over the last year and a half from two plus packs a day to half a pack, so I'm still paying far less than I used to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads