• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got a date this Saturday - jeans + ??

Reckoner

Reaction score
Hi guys, I got a date with a new gf on Saturday. We've been out before with friends and all, but this is first time together alone. Need ideas for jeans + a shirt. Weather will be 20-25 degrees celsius, bright and sunny. As is always the case with Sydney.
worship.gif
Planning to wear my Levi's 511 dark denims, straight cut. I need ideas for a shirt - tight tank top showing body? or more formal t-shirt? Shoes - formal boots or less formal casual brown shoes? Pictures would help very much. Thanks in advance.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd say no on the tank top. Maybe things work different there, but I don't think many appropriate scenarios exist where a guy wearing a tank top doesn't look silly. A first date is definitely not the time to bust out a tank top, lest you look like this guy:

ac-slater.jpg

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reckoner
I need ideas for a shirt - tight tank top showing body? or more formal t-shirt? Shoes - formal boots or less formal casual brown shoes?

Nothing formal about these choices actually. No offense meant, but going on a date wearing just a wifebeater up top is a tool move, no matter how nice or expensive it is.

Think a bit dressy. A nice casual buttondown can go almost anywhere, and pick your shoes to match the dressiness of the place. Sneakers are fine to a dive bar but not to a place with cloth napkins and goblets (YMMV). Make sure nothing clashes and you're good to go.

Reckoner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I'd say no on the tank top. Maybe things work different there, but I don't think many appropriate scenarios exist where a guy wearing a tank top doesn't look silly. A first date is definitely not the time to bust out a tank top, lest you look like this guy:
ac-slater.jpg

sorry I guess my definition of "tank top" here in Australia is a bit different to yours. I meant something like this: http://www.zodee.com.au/mens/bonds-mens/t-shirts/3976/ Just something fitted and hugging ...

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ah, that clears it up. I'd still say no though. If you've got a T-shirt on like that then you should complement it with a nice piece of outerwear so you don't look too slacker. Unless your definition of T-shirt is wildly different from mine.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on where you're going. If you're going somewhere that a vneck is suitable attire, then wear like a black polo shirt, dark jeans, and decent black sneakers. It's casual but very presentable, provided everything fits right.

Reckoner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
ah, that clears it up. I'd still say no though. If you've got a T-shirt on like that then you should complement it with a nice piece of outerwear so you don't look too slacker. Unless your definition of T-shirt is wildly different from mine.
outwear? as in ... ? It'll be quite warm ... 25 degrees ... I don't want to walk around sweaty ... My gf usually wears, how should I say it ... more revealing types of clothing, you know, high jean shorts or singlets that show off a lot of skin ... and it's not a formal occassion anyways, we'll be out in the city just exploring Sydney's outdoors ...

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ah, well I meant a light jacket, but if it is indeed 25C then a nice polo shirt or something with a collar/buttons will do. Again, it all depends on where you're going. I don't dress up when it's a dinner/movie at home situation for example.

Reckoner

Reaction score
Yeah i was thinking polo shirt as a possibility too ... but seems too common these days. Especially those Abercrombie ones or Ralph Lauren polo shirts ... way too common.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reckoner
Yeah i was thinking polo shirt as a possibility too ... but seems too common these days. Especially those Abercrombie ones or Ralph Lauren polo shirts ... way too common.
And t-shirts aren't common? What about jeans, are jeans not common? It doesn't matter if other people are wearing it, as long as yours fits better than theirs. Don't worry too much about a logo... ralph lauren fits me (XL in kids hehe) so I wear them, I've tried J Lindberg but it's a little short, and lacoste silver is just a little too pricy when I could get something that fits almost as well for 1/3rd of the price at ralph lauren kids. It doesn't matter what the brand is, as long as it fits you nicely, is colour coordinated, and of decent quality.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
And t-shirts aren't common?

What about jeans, are jeans not common?

It doesn't matter if other people are wearing it, as long as yours fits better than theirs. Don't worry too much about a logo... ralph lauren fits me (XL in kids hehe) so I wear them, I've tried J Lindberg but it's a little short, and lacoste silver is just a little too pricy when I could get something that fits almost as well for 1/3rd of the price at ralph lauren kids. It doesn't matter what the brand is, as long as it fits you nicely, is colour coordinated, and of decent quality.

true. looks are common, good looks aren't.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Most women love slim-fit woven shirts. When a guy tries one on in my shop - especially if it's not something he usually wears - her eyes light up every time. Get one in a nice, lightweight summerish fabric. No crazy ass stripes, just a subtle pattern. It will definitely impress her more than a t-shirt.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is she your gf if this is the first time you've gone out alone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads