• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Why shrink to fit? The quality isn't somehow better. Unless you buy LVCs that are unsanforized, you're not gonna find stf. I still don't understand. Just grab some h&ms or some uniqlos or something that's flattering. If you're a high school kid, i don't think getting 501s will make you stand out or anything, nor are they better quality than other levis products. You can scoop up APCs for relatively cheap on ebay or buy&sell/supermarket. Same with acnes, rrls, or some other brands.

I guess i'm not really sure of your angle here.

Trackstarr

Reaction score
Thanks for the help I'll check out my options i think I'll stick with H&M's stf i guess it will be good practice for when i do get A.P.C.'s

cmsmith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
Trackstarr I can't believe you're asking this. Haven't there been like, two threads and a bajillion posts made satirizing this? Listen, shorts are just like jeans, they go with everything. The easiest way is to just get yourself some boat shoes or some white low tops.

WMMK- Did you ever make it out to Reiss? I also continue to stand by Club Monico as my go to place for sweaters. All the cardis I've bought from them have been purchased for less than 60 bucks; quality is a lot better than J Crew, H&M, AA, or anything you can find in a mall really.

+1

I've got 3 really nice sweaters from there that I paid $29 each for respectively. One slim cardigan thats 70% cashmere 30% cotton that has held up well, and a 100% merino v-neck that has worn well for 3 years now. The only one that didn't last as well was a 100% cotton quarter zip pullover that stretched ou badly. But at the prices their discounts go to you can't beat them for cheap basic pieces.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I need a suit.

I have around 100-200$ to spend on a complete suit (pants and coat).

The reason I am looking is for my June Wedding. I would like to wear the same suit as my groomsmen so something that would come in sizes to fit both me (36R) and my largest groomsman (42R IIRC) preferably solid as well.

I have tried H&M, but the lack of details and pictures has made coming to a decision difficult.

I am looking for any and all suggestions as I don't want to look like a total goob at my wedding.

thanks

robbie

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Are there any Zaras in the Omaha area? Their style is pretty Euro (not much moreso than H&M), but they make good stuff. If you can spend a little more, J. Crew has some decent stuff.

What kind of fabric/cut are you looking for? The prepster in me wants to recommend a seersucker or khaki-colored linen suit would be pretty sharp.

savejake

Reaction score
After a recess of poor-dom:

There have been a few threads on a similar topic, but the basics: in the middle of a weight trim-down (15 pounds in, 30 or 40 to go) but I've stretched as much as my old wardrobe can go--I have a couple of American Apperal polos and Tees that fit (I have a medium that's bigger than a large, further baffling my calls for a medarge size--mediums are tight and midriff me but larges are a tad too baggy for most brands).

I sunk most of my cash on a pair of jeans that should work even after I shed an inch or so off the waist [most of my weight is in my legs and upper body] and a pair of ****** boots, but I need --something-- to wear for the next year or so until I'm happy enough to buy bespoke/more expensive pieces. And between asking "I has a hemming APC NS question" and "make me not wear the same three shirts and belts." repeat questions, I've settled on the latter.

Currently residing on the west side of LA, near santa monica. Any help, detailed or broad, is warmly loved. Looking to spend ~$500 over a month or so on the temporary wardrobe.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^
I like this guy.

Honestly, my best advice is to just rock basic **** until you get your money up. I gained a lot of weight and cut my income roughly in half recently, so that's where I'm at. Thing is, if you just do simple and tasteful you're already ahead of like 97% of people anywhere in this country - including dat WEST SIIIIIIIDE.

I love that smug feeling I get when I'm waiting for a table or something and some clown walks by in Rock and Republics with a chick on his arm wearing Citizens or whatever. I'm just like, my jeans are so much ******* cooler than yours you wouldn't believe it if I told you.

Welcome to StyleForum.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by savejake
After a recess of poor-dom: There have been a few threads on a similar topic, but the basics: in the middle of a weight trim-down (15 pounds in, 30 or 40 to go) but I've stretched as much as my old wardrobe can go--I have a couple of American Apperal polos and Tees that fit (I have a medium that's bigger than a large, further baffling my calls for a medarge size--mediums are tight and midriff me but larges are a tad too baggy for most brands). I sunk most of my cash on a pair of jeans that should work even after I shed an inch or so off the waist [most of my weight is in my legs and upper body] and a pair of ****** boots, but I need --something-- to wear for the next year or so until I'm happy enough to buy bespoke/more expensive pieces. And between asking "I has a hemming APC NS question" and "make me not wear the same three shirts and belts." repeat questions, I've settled on the latter. Currently residing on the west side of LA, near santa monica. Any help, detailed or broad, is warmly loved. Looking to spend ~$500 over a month or so on the temporary wardrobe.
Just buy one RO tee a month for a year. They look awesome oversized so losing weight won't be a problem. (Only half kidding, I wish I had just straight up bought RO stuff when I was first getting in to fashion as opposed to buying all these "basics" that don't fit my aesthetic at all now and that I'm desperate to sell)

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same dilemma.

I've lost 20 pounds, 30 left. So what do you do?

I've got plenty of MTO shirts done, that my tailor will take in when I get down to my normal weight, then, I've also been buying shoes for both streetwear and menswear.

My current dilemma is this - I was going to get the SEXSC06 followed by a pair of A.P.C's or Crate, if I can get my size.

Do I get them now? The SEXSC06 is on sale, at a attractive price. They will shrink in when I hot wash them, so can I wear and then hot wash when I need to bring them back in? A.P.C's do the same I'm told.

Horde cash to buy later, or get things that I like now, but size them for what I'll be when I loose the weight?

Steggy

Reaction score
anyone know where i can get a hat in these 2 colors? unfortunately the particular one below has been sold out for a while, but i can deal with different logos or plain. i just really like the turquoise with a red bill. halp?
su08_playerssd_05.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads