• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Fitness Model

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i've done the 100 rep thing. induces lactate, only real benefit i can think of

how long did the workout take. looks like ******* 2 hours.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, i work fast so 100 reps takes @ 200 seconds. that said, not very long.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
What exactly are you going for on these low-weight high-rep exercises? Are you building muscle stamina for sports? I'm pretty sure low-weight high-rep for 'toning' has been debunked.

Who ever said anything about toning? That's one word that isn't even part of my vocabulary. Neither is 'cutting', 'trimming', etc. That **** is for pussies. I'm in the gym to put on lean mass, simple as that. **** beach abs, **** a Superfuture aesthetic, **** being 5'11 150lbs with abs. None of that appeals to me in the least. I only do the 100-rep workout because I can't NOT go to the gym 3 days in a row (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) so on my off day I'd prefer to do something with low weights, but the only benefit you can get from something like benching the bar (45lbs) is if you're doing a ridiculous amount of reps. I'm not at the gym to waste time, I try and make the most of my hour or so in there. And it's not like I'm doing this every Saturday either. Maybe twice a month if that...

I was skeptical at first, but a gentleman at my gym (who's 65 and in better shape than anyone on this forum, guaranteed) put me onto this. He made me a bet and said I couldn't finish the workout. Needless to say, he won the bet. It's a humbling experience to say the least but it's a great way to bust through any plateaus because it maximizes muscle fibre recruitment. And the whole work-out takes half an hour, if that. I'm never in the gym for longer than 45 minutes regardless.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
I was skeptical at first, but a gentleman at my gym (who's 65 and in better shape than anyone on this forum, guaranteed) put me onto this.

lurker[1].gif

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, just because you can't do a workout someone else does, doesn't mean you're stronger or weaker or more or less fit than they are.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I know for a fact that I'm stronger than him, but he can kick ****** at the Saturday workout. Who's more fit? I would say he is. I don't know too many people in their 60's that have done triathlons on this forum, but if there are any of you out there, speak up.

Kill_switch

Reaction score
my physics teacher is a chick in her early 50's and she has placed in 4/5 ironman length triathlons.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like I have stalled in my military press. It feels like I am being held back by my lower traps (right in the middle of my back between my shoulder blades) or possibly my rhomboids as opposed to my anterior delts. Should I just keep grinding away or should I do some additional back work? I'm alreading doing deads, pullups, and occasionally tbar rows.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bawlin - How many cals is your diet?

What are the preferred methods of consuming chicken? What's a good way to eat chicken when there isn't a means to cook it (ie - at work?). Does anyone eat precooked chicken?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
I feel like I have stalled in my military press. It feels like I am being held back by my lower traps (right in the middle of my back between my shoulder blades) or possibly my rhomboids as opposed to my anterior delts. Should I just keep grinding away or should I do some additional back work? I'm alreading doing deads, pullups, and occasionally tbar rows.

You're held back by your triceps more than likely. Lay off for a bit.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
bawlin - How many cals is your diet?

What are the preferred methods of consuming chicken? What's a good way to eat chicken when there isn't a means to cook it (ie - at work?). Does anyone eat precooked chicken?

I get a box of frozen chicken breast at Costco and throw 3 small pieces in the oven at lunch (and reheat what I don't eat at lunch for dinner). I'm going to be honest when I say the chicken tastes kind of gross (especially considering it's unseasoned AND I'm eating it with raw spinach), but it's the most cost effective way of doing it. If you have fresh chicken, however, there's nothing wrong with pan-frying it and throwing some Mrs. Dash seasoning on top (it has no salt).

Monday - Wednesday, I consume about 1,700 calories, and Thursday - Saturday I consume around 3,000 - 3,500. Sunday is a wildcard because I'm usually hung over.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why not switch to a push press for a couple of weeks? Or db press?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ cause it seems like that would just be ignoring the issue (not working on the sticking point of the lift).

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ cause it seems like that would just be ignoring the issue (not working on the sticking point of the lift).

If my DB press stalls, I switch to the barbell. Why would a shoulder press be any different?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads