• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Fantasy Baseball League 2009

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My pitching is horrendous, but I am going to outhit everyone easily.

I wish I had gotten arod though. Damn you slim
frown.gif

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Where are your steals, saves and runs coming from though?

Slopho is right. I think you need WILLY TAVERAS. Ill let you have him for Johan.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Where are your steals, saves and runs coming from though?

He's probably going to get a good number of steals from rollins and beltre. Saves, he's got Soria and Nathan, and he's not looking too bad on runs either.

I actually think he's probably got one of the top three lineups in our league on paper.

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
i guess i picked too many power hitters
confused.gif
. we will see how it works out. damon and holliday are decent at sb as well. damn sheets was a horrible pick, but i hope he will get to play.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
You went to Ultra? I am getting so old. I went to the first one that they had. I think this was like the 10th time they have done that festival. I used to go to Winter Music Conference in the 1990's. I worked for the WMC a few times. You dropped two players, so i am guessing you are going to snag someone off of waivers. Who could it be? A certain closer on Chicago?
Hell yeah, Ultra was fun. This year was the 11th, and you still can't beat Paul Van Dyk's closing set. I've heard it was badass during its early years, since it was held on the beach?
Originally Posted by Brian278
Negative, that would be me.
smile.gif

Anyway, I considered Gregg but here's a protip (from watching the Marlins): he's not a good closer. He struggles to put guys away, and he can't dominate an inning at all! Not going to waste my waiver priority on him since I think Marmol will have the job in a month or so. Yeah, I'm using my waiver priority to shore up some other areas. Good relievers are a dime a dozen, and the closer role is very fluid throughout the season.
Originally Posted by blackdarkeye
i guess i picked too many power hitters
confused.gif
. we will see how it works out. damon and holliday are decent at sb as well. damn sheets was a horrible pick, but i hope he will get to play.

Don't expect many SBs from Holliday. Guys in Oakland don't generally steal, it's not in the team's philosophy. With that being said, though, you have two solid closers and a decent third. You probably won't have to sweat saves.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just remember, this is h2h. You dont have to win every category every week, just more categories than your opponent. Balanced teams do well in h2h leagues.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im playing you this week so we'll find out. I wish half of my lineup didn't have minor injuries bugging them.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Just remember, this is h2h. You dont have to win every category every week, just more categories than your opponent. Balanced teams do well in h2h leagues.

Have you heard of the "pitcher system" before? Supposed to dominate h2h leagues by taking tons of pitchers in the first 8-10 rounds?

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Have you heard of the "pitcher system" before? Supposed to dominate h2h leagues by taking tons of pitchers in the first 8-10 rounds?

I don't think that would ever work. Your opponents could just stream pitchers to take Ws and Ks, and your hitting would get destroyed.

Buster

Reaction score
Are we doing "Slim, critique my team"

Here is mine, (be gentle)

Mike Napoli
Joey Votto
Kelly Johnson
Garrett Atkins
Cristian Guzmán
Alfonso Soriano
Carlos Beltrán
Jacoby Ellsbury
Jayson Werth

BN \t \t
Conor Jackson
Orlando Cabrera
Mark Reynolds
Yunel Escobar
\t
Pitching
Dan Haren
Rich Harden
Jered Weaver
John Maine
Jair Jurrjens

Jonathan Broxton
Brian Fuentes
Chad Qualls

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buster

Mike Napoli
Joey Votto
Kelly Johnson
Garrett Atkins
Cristian Guzmán
Alfonso Soriano
Carlos Beltrán
Jacoby Ellsbury
Jayson Werth

BN \t \t
Conor Jackson
Orlando Cabrera
Mark Reynolds
Yunel Escobar
\t
Pitching
Dan Haren
Rich Harden
Jered Weaver
John Maine
Jair Jurrjens

Jonathan Broxton
Brian Fuentes
Chad Qualls

I'm not Slim but I want to comment anyway.
tounge.gif

I noticed you reached on Votto a bit. Was that on purpose?

If Napoli keeps his job and stays healthy, you've got a well-rounded squad of hitters with only AVG as a minor concern. You've got Escobar as insurance for Guzman, so that's smart drafting since you have two replacement-level SSs to work with.

Your starters are a bit shaky but not too bad and your closers are solid. I like your squad a lot, actually.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

You can definitely do that, I don't believe it works that well though. That being said, I took a lot of pitching early. I have a lot of high value picks on my squad. Hardy, Lopez, and etc. I probably won't win the SB or SV battles, but I feel pretty confident about being dominant in everything else.

I have enough pitchers to thread, though my lineup should be changing a little tomorrow...

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buster

Mike Napoli
Joey Votto
Kelly Johnson
Garrett Atkins
Cristian Guzmán
Alfonso Soriano
Carlos Beltrán
Jacoby Ellsbury
Jayson Werth

BN \t \t
Conor Jackson
Orlando Cabrera
Mark Reynolds
Yunel Escobar
\t
Pitching
Dan Haren
Rich Harden
Jered Weaver
John Maine
Jair Jurrjens

Jonathan Broxton
Brian Fuentes
Chad Qualls

I think your SP is pretty underpowered. You will probably get a lot of innings pitched, but I think you are going to have an inflated ERA and lower SO numbers than you'd like. But I'm liking your relievers...

Buster

Reaction score
I'm not Slim but I want to comment anyway.
tounge.gif

I noticed you reached on Votto a bit. Was that on purpose?

If Napoli keeps his job and stays healthy, you've got a well-rounded squad of hitters with only AVG as a minor concern. You've got Escobar as insurance for Guzman, so that's smart drafting since you have two replacement-level SSs to work with.

Your starters are a bit shaky but not too bad and your closers are solid. I like your squad a lot, actually.

Regarding Votto - I was debating whether to take him that early, but his PECOTA number "blinded" me. I am open to trades of course. Everyone is on the trading block.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like Hoffman's on the DL. Who picked him up??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads