• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to button a four-button blazer?

Collarbone

Reaction score
I have gotten myself a four-button blazer, but I don't really know how to button the thing.
Are there specific guidelines for these, as there more or less are for three- and two-button ones?
I've been experimenting, though, and I'm thinking either the middle two, the third or the bottom three. Or maybe even all?

What are your thoughts on this?

Picture:

(Note that I neither hold my arms like that normally nor have particularly well developed trapezii.)

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's not a blazer....but that's besides the point. I'd button the middle 2.
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
lurker[1].gif

I know. I was expecting one of these.
vanetti_navy_blue_4_button_suit_80151v001nvsld_f07_z.jpg

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw four button in the title and expected it to be terrible. It really isnt so bad. I would unbutton the bottom button. On a three button I would unbutton the top one as well but im not so sure that would work on a four...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
I saw four button in the title and expected it to be terrible. It really isnt so bad. I would unbutton the bottom button. On a three button I would unbutton the top one as well but im not so sure that would work on a four...
I feel the same, the jacket doesn't look bad. I'd unbutton the bottom one.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone have a pic of an unbuttoned 4-button sport coat or blazer? I'm wondering how they drape unbuttoned and if they can be worn in such a way without looking odd.

Collarbone

Reaction score
I'll just go ahead and admit that I probably know a lot less than I should about this.
First off, if it's not a blazer, then what is it? I figure "jacket" would be sort of ambiguous.
I like the suggestion of closing the top three buttons, though. I might just stick with that.

In addition, what do you think I could wear with it? (The pictured are grey corduroys and a plain, military green longsleeve.) I'm not going for a very formal look (in which case I wouldn't have gone for this.. jacket anyway), but rather some middle ground between jeans and sneakers / a suit.

Does the fit seem okay, though? I've still got the tags attached, so I can get a different (i.e. larger, this was the smallest available) size.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the size on you a lot unless of course when you put your hands fully at your sides the sleeves rise too high and the shoudlers bulge out (seems possible)...

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong here, but I'd say that's a field jacket/coat.

In terms of what to wear it with....jeans, chinos. It's a pretty casual jacket, so the pants have to match accordingly.

I don't like the idea of buttoning the top button.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything but the bottom button. Etiquette however would demand the middle two probably.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
paging the guy with the 4 button coats, fat tie knots and pony shoes

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Collarbone
I have gotten myself a four-button blazer, but I don't really know how to button the thing.
Are there specific guidelines for these, as there more or less are for three- and two-button ones?
I've been experimenting, though, and I'm thinking either the middle two, the third or the bottom three. Or maybe even all?

What are your thoughts on this?

Picture:

(Note that I neither hold my arms like that normally nor have particularly well developed trapezii.)

That's not a blazer. Also, what the hell is sticking out of your neck?

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Collarbone
I'll just go ahead and admit that I probably know a lot less than I should about this.
First off, if it's not a blazer, then what is it? I figure "jacket" would be sort of ambiguous.
I like the suggestion of closing the top three buttons, though. I might just stick with that.

In addition, what do you think I could wear with it? (The pictured are grey corduroys and a plain, military green longsleeve.) I'm not going for a very formal look (in which case I wouldn't have gone for this.. jacket anyway), but rather some middle ground between jeans and sneakers / a suit.

Does the fit seem okay, though? I've still got the tags attached, so I can get a different (i.e. larger, this was the smallest available) size.

It's definitely not a blazer. It is basically a safari jacket, albeit a grey one.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
1. Unbutton top button.
2. Unbutton second button.
3. Unbutton third button.
4. Unbutton fourth button.
5. Slip left arm out of left sleeve.
6. Slip right arm out of right sleeve.
7. Toss garment into garbage can with either left or right arm.
8. Light garment on fire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads