• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you hate clothing marketing speak?

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a huge laugh out of some recent posts in the "Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?" thread re: clothing brand descriptions. If you hate marketing speak, like to spell words correctly, or are a grammar Nazi, this is the thread for you. Post brand descriptions or other clothing-related marketing speak that you find stupid/inane/unbelievable/erroneous/hilarious/whatever. From Teger... Band of Outsiders, Context Clothing
The man in Band of Outsiders, I believe, would prefer to be briefly described as a smart, sophisticated type. The books he reads and the clothing he wears distinguish him from the masses. This season's collection is sure to give him pause.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Traditional with a twist" "A modern take on a classic" "Something different, something new" "Innovation" "Chic" "Cutting Edge" Most of the time it's not the saying or word itself thats bad, it's just the excessive, incorrect use that makes the terms/sayings meaningless. If I hear someone say something is 'so effortlessly chic' again I'm going to break something.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
"Traditional with a twist" "A modern take on a classic" "Something different, something new" "Innovation" "Chic" "Cutting Edge" Most of the time it's not the saying or word itself thats bad, it's just the excessive, incorrect use that makes the terms/sayings meaningless. If I hear someone say something is 'so effortlessly chic' again I'm going to break something.
brand synergy

KenN

Reaction score
"Affliction commands us to live life to the fullest--"Live fast; die young"--and we fully intend to look good as we do so." "His charismatic and colorful approach to fashion, allowed him to elevate the tattoo art of Don Hardy and create Ed Hardy by Christian Audigier, one of the hottest new brands worn by celebrities and by the world. And now, he takes it up a notch with his eponymous streetwear line."

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bonobos are the worst. Here are some random ones:

Offense wins games, defense wins championships. Many a great team has used this clichÃ
00a9.png
to dance through the month of March. There is simply nothing else like a full court press: hands waving, jumping up and down making hot air snowmen, panic-on-the-dancefloor level frenetic hustle. An observer would guess there's only seconds left in the game but it might just be halfway through the first half. So we've made a pair of pants in honor of the great defenders of our time, not always hailed by the media and the fans, but often recognized by the more astute critics of our times; we loved this recent Michael Lewis article in the NYT about Shane Battier.

The Samurais and Shoguns wage their war against denim in a full frontal assault. These new royal blue Bonobos, however, forge an impregnable defense against the tyranny of jeans. And the Defenders look awesome paired with just about anything you can find in your closet, save baby blue.

Why do we make pink pants? How do parties get started? We've all been there – either as hosts or guests. As an early arrival at any soiree, you can watch the room slowly start to fill up, listen as the music gets louder and the drinks start flowing. Then someone walks into the room wearing amazing pink trousers, and it's as if a match has landed amid a cornfield of khaki kindling setting the place ablaze.

Rarely has there been a more important role in civilization than that of the man who starts the party. Whether it's planned a year in advance or a spontaneous Tuesday night bender 'til 4AM — we celebrate the catalyst and commemorate you with this uniform.

Smooth as velvet and softer than fresh Utah powder, the Party Starters are like a great poker hand in high low – they can roll easy with a t-shirt and sandals, or can be played high with a crisp white shirt and a navy blazer. At Bonobos HQ, you'll see the Pink Party Starters with sneakers and sweaters, with light blue and navy blue polos, and with handsome brown loafers. They go with just about everything that khakis do… they just start a lot more fire.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
brand synergy

Yeah thats a tricky one, I can't help but feel that wearing random brands that don't go together at all (particularly when the style is conflicting and tasteless) looks off yet I won't agree with disregarding something purely based on the brands. I thought about this today actually and have realised that I never wear some of the extremely cheap brands I have simply because the pieces don't hold a candle to my more expensive stuff and basically ruin the consistency of the outfit (particularly with cheap shoes, jackets, prominent items, less so with t-shirts etc. where the gap in quality is harder to discern).

/endrant

Ozarks

Reaction score
Most of the time it's not the saying or word itself thats bad, it's just the excessive, incorrect use that makes the terms/sayings meaningless. If I hear someone say something is 'so effortlessly chic' again I'm going to break something.

"Vintage"

Who knows why I decided to go into marketing when I detest it so very much
frown.gif

MLIW

Reaction score
retro - it appalls me and shocks me

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
The fabric of our lives!

Largo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
Bonobos are the worst. Here are some random ones:

I have no idea whether or not these jackasses make good pants or not, all I can say for certain is after I stumbled across their website I have a deep burning hatred for them because of their asinine bullshit pants descriptions.

3stylelife

Reaction score
Absolutely. People are woefully uneducated about clothing because the important aspects (namely, specifics of fit and design) are not marketed at all. What we get is a collection of buzzwords which individually mean nothing, collectively make we want to punch someone in the face. What a shame.

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
another gem from revolve
The Junk de Luxe design is classic, simple lines with small, unique details. That little extra which always identifies a Junk de Luxe model. It can be a T-shirt with the stripes on the inside. A reversed pocket cover or an extra long cuff. An experience always awaits within the details.

Nananine

Reaction score
Haha

Originally Posted by 100 Styles and Running, Revolve
Shoes matter. OK, maybe they don't matter like climate change or rock and roll, but they matter to you and they matter to us. Your kicks might just be the most important thing you put on today: the spark that ignites the romance that unfurls like the petals of a rose and knocks you flat on your back. So when you're running, 100 Styles & Running will be there for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads