• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wing tips

rob.p

Reaction score
I am considering buying these wing tips:

http://www.martinandosa.com/web/brow...ctId=4250_0889

I work as a teacher and usually wear black or gray slacks with a shirt and tie. I'm 23 and I dress fairly conservatively on the job. What are your opinions on wing tips? I have heard mixed reactions. i've never owned any before, so I don't know how they look with me or what I wear.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks cheap (they are). The laces, soles and leather look low grade. Also not a fan of the shape... They look very rounded.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look like a lot of Rockport shoes. I wonder if they aren't from the same vendor. At $49.95, they are probably fair value and would harmonize well with your chosen apparel.

Be aware that if you start frequenting this forum regularly, you may find you want to change your overall style considerably, at which point you will probably find that you have transcended shoes like that. I'll confess that I used to own some Rockports very like the shoes in question not all that many years ago, but I eventually threw them out as being unworthy of me. However, if you do follow the trajectory of the true Internet Gentlemen and find yourself lusting after John Lobb Paris, Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling, et al. in the future, shoes such as those linked can make useful "beater" shoes for stormy weather and such.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wingtips would be great for you. But, that example is fugly. They will crease up in a horrifying way as well. Get suede if you must get cheap. Cheap suede can go bald, but until then it can look good as you save money for shoes made with better-quality calf.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As cheap shoes go, those are pretty inoffensive.

Better shoes will be more comfortable if made on a last that suits you, but wearing these might be a good way to decide if the style is right for you.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
people on this forum buy socks costing more than $49.95. at that price it is pretty low risk

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love wingtips, especially longwings like the style of the ones in the link.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Are wingtips designed for a specific occasion? I see a lot of jazz dancers with them...

I'm considering a pair of Allen Edmonds wingtips, in ox blood red, and as they cost considerably (for me) I'm curious how versatile they are. I hope the forum can help me out.

northamptonshoes

Reaction score
I would say spending that much- you get what you pay for. You would not expect them to look great after a few weeks and they wont. But you have only lost $49.99.
I have some really nice wingtips from Church's- polised binder black in Uk10 and Crockett and Jones- Syndney in black. See the Church's on:
http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/s...hs%20Brisbane/
Another alternative is wingtips in boots, eg Grenson Ellis black UK10.5 or Cheaney full grain calf leather in brown UK10.5. See:
Hope that gives you some ideas.
The pics show a difference in quality compared to the link you showed.
Perhaps the higher outlay is worth it in the long term. We all have different ideas.
Thanks.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy some vintage Florsheim Imperial longwings for $40 or $50. Five years from now you will still have a nice pair of shoes. Also, the look of those shoes is off somehow. And they are rubber-soled junk.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
Are wingtips designed for a specific occasion? I see a lot of jazz dancers with them...

I'm considering a pair of Allen Edmonds wingtips, in ox blood red, and as they cost considerably (for me) I'm curious how versatile they are. I hope the forum can help me out.

Wingtips are on the casual side of the dress shoe scale so I find them to be very versatile.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP - If your budget will stretch just a bit further consider Loake shoes, they have a bunch of different brogue (wing tip) designs which manage not too look old man-ish in similar slim shapes to the ones you posted. They will be better quality, and treated well should last much longer. Just steer clear of their L1 line which are terribly badly made.

northamptonshoes

Reaction score
I do not know how well known this is overseas but there is another brand here in the UK based in Northampton called Jeffery West. They are from the true shoe making tradition of the area in many ways- Goddyear welt etc, high quality (in fact, the traditional shoes houses actually make some of the jeffery West models) BUT they have a much much more contemporary style. They vary in price (£175 and up for a decent pair) but combine the old traditions and new styles quite well. They do some very nice wingtips with a more contemporary feel. Not for the purist but for a younger crowd who like quality and new design.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by northamptonshoes
I would say spending that much- you get what you pay for. You would not expect them to look great after a few weeks and they wont. But you have only lost $49.99.

Oh, bull! The various Rockports I had held up quite well for years! I got rid of my last pair because they were inelegant, not because they had deteriorated rapidly.

I have some really nice wingtips from Church's- polised binder black in Uk10 and Crockett and Jones- Syndney in black. See the Church's on:
Another alternative is wingtips in boots, eg Grenson Ellis black UK10.5 or Cheaney full grain calf leather in brown UK10.5. See:
Hope that gives you some ideas.
The pics show a difference in quality compared to the link you showed.
Perhaps the higher outlay is worth it in the long term. We all have different ideas.
Thanks.
Let's keep this in perspective: The OP is 23 years old and a starting teacher. He probably has very little money. He is asking about $50 shoes. It's not going to be much help to him to post pix of shoes that often cost $500+ in the States. Kind of like telling a guy who inquires if a Kia or Hyundai makes a serviceable car and telling him a top-of-the-line Mercedes would be be better!

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Oh, bull! The various Rockports I had held up quite well for years! I got rid of my last pair because they were inelegant, not because they had deteriorated rapidly.

Let's keep this in perspective: The OP is 23 years old and a starting teacher. He probably has very little money. He is asking about $50 shoes. It's not going to be much help to him to post pix of shoes that often cost $500+ in the States. Kind of like telling a guy who inquires if a Kia or Hyundai makes a serviceable car and telling him a top-of-the-line Mercedes would be be better!

+1 excellent reply

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads