• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yes or No on Shoe Inserts

ltontheqt

Reaction score
I just received a beautiful pair of C&J Cliffords. I misunderstood PLAL's advice and ended up with shoes that are a bit too big. They slide a little. With tongue pads they are better. Would heel pads help as well? Another option is to put in Dr. Scholl-like inserts. I found some discussion in a search, but would like more information. I'd like to hear from those of you who use them. Am I wrong to think of them as condoms that reduce the pleasure of the fine leather insole? I have them in one pair of shoes and don't love the feel, but I am willing to consider to salvage the shoes and not (and here's the rub) have to incur the $42 return shipping charge. Other options include trying to sell them here or going down another half size, which PLAL thinks might work but can't guarantee. What's your advice?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd return and try the other size first. while insoles and pads can help some- you'll never really be as happy with the shoes as you had hoped. Plus factor in the cost of several years replacing insoles, etc.

I speak from experience having one foot different from the other.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind, can you tell us what is your normal US size and what size you ordered? Thanks.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ltontheqt
I just received a beautiful pair of C&J Cliffords. I misunderstood PLAL's advice and ended up with shoes that are a bit too big. They slide a little. With tongue pads they are better. Would heel pads help as well? Another option is to put in Dr. Scholl-like inserts. I found some discussion in a search, but would like more information. I'd like to hear from those of you who use them. Am I wrong to think of them as condoms that reduce the pleasure of the fine leather insole? I have them in one pair of shoes and don't love the feel, but I am willing to consider to salvage the shoes and not (and here's the rub) have to incur the $42 return shipping charge. Other options include trying to sell them here or going down another half size, which PLAL thinks might work but can't guarantee. What's your advice?

When you say "slide a little" - does your foot slide forward that you can actually fit your pinky finger in the heel? If so, then the shoe is about 1/2 size too large for you. Then it'd warrant a return.

If it's less, then it's insoles, heel grips and tongue pads. Personally I find heel grips to be an irritation. I have had success with a poron insole on a shoe that was 1/2 size too big for me, so give that a try. Poron insoles aren't too thick and are ideal for dress shoes.

ltontheqt

Reaction score
wetnose;1902964 said:
When you say "slide a little" - does your foot slide forward that you can actually fit your pinky finger in the heel? If so, then the shoe is about 1/2 size too large for you. Then it'd warrant a return.

I think my pinky does fit in the heel. I will have to put them on again and see.

ltontheqt

Reaction score
I measure a U.S. 9.5. C/D. Of course, that often translates to 9 or smaller, whether the shoes are made in Italy, England or, for that matter, the U.S. I ordered a 8.5E UK.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ltontheqt
I measure a U.S. 9.5. C/D. Of course, that often translates to 9 or smaller, whether the shoes are made in Italy, England or, for that matter, the U.S. I ordered a 8.5E UK.
That's why I sized down 1.5 on the 337/348....true US D widths with normal/high arches could probably get away with sizing down only 1 or possibly even 0.5, but for those of us with narrow feet and/or low arches will need to go 1.5 down.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
That's why I sized down 1.5 on the 337/348....true US D widths with normal/high arches could probably get away with sizing down only 1 or possibly even 0.5, but for those of us with narrow feet and/or low arches will need to go 1.5 down.
Feet vary so everyone should weigh interweb advice carefully. Me, I doubt that sizing down so much could yield a good fit for someone with a narrow foot and/or low arches. A lot of English shoes are wide in the ankle, and UK length sizing is only 1/2 a size less than US length sizing on the Brannock device (1 full size for US shoes, like sneakers, that are vanity sized to make the man feel bigger). The big difference is that most English shoes are wider than American shoes. I suspect that some people with narrow ankles and feet size down 1 or 1 1/2 to get a better fit around the ankle. But -- if you have to size down that much to get an ankle opening that fits you well, wouldn't your heel to ball measurement put the widest part of your foot up in what is supposed to be an elongated toebox? (Isn't this the equivalent of putting an 11C foot into a 10E shoe with an elongated toebox? It will fit in there but should it be worn this way?) As for inserts: I have low arches & a low, narrow ankle and so I wear all kinds of inserts. Whatever makes the shoe fit better & more comfortable, I will wear. Heel cushions are the best. These are the ones that go under your heels. They raise my ankle a bit, which helps to fill out the ankle opening. Tongue cushions are less comfortable but they can be helpful on shoes that lace down too much. Insoles are fine, except in the summer, when the lighter ones will wrinkle under the foot with the extra perspiration. But they make leather insoles that won't do this, too. Good luck fitting your shoe

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads