• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to T-Shirts

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too much talking and not enough pics is this thread so thought I'd add some. I just picked this up from Target for $5 last weekend. Hanes premium T.

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My normal size small. 5'8" about 155 lbs.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
jcrew broken in crew, 5'11" 190 lb, size L

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j149/marsupialedman10/PICT0724-1.jpg

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm gonna throw up a vote for the Old Navy tees.

With warmer temps around the corner, I was in dire need of some basic tees that weren't undershirts. Options around town are pretty limited, so it was either Gap, Old Navy, or one of the A&F type places.

The Gap ones fit very well, but don't seem to warrant the $14 tag (that's if buying two) considering the material. Soft, but flimsy. Fine now, but I could see the neck getting ragged after only a few wears.

The Old Navy ones have a similar cut and felt more substantial. At $7 a pop, they were a no-brainer.

Crakaveli

Reaction score
black and gray sean john tees fit great. the fit is similar to bdg but i like sean john better because they're 100% cotton. i also like the collars better. i bought some white ones thinking they would be the same as the black and gray but the fit was way off.

i got two mossimo athletic fit tees yesterday. they fit well up top but are baggy near the waist.

sploosh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I'm gonna throw up a vote for the Old Navy tees.

With warmer temps around the corner, I was in dire need of some basic tees that weren't undershirts. Options around town are pretty limited, so it was either Gap, Old Navy, or one of the A&F type places.

The Gap ones fit very well, but don't seem to warrant the $14 tag (that's if buying two) considering the material. Soft, but flimsy. Fine now, but I could see the neck getting ragged after only a few wears.

The Old Navy ones have a similar cut and felt more substantial. At $7 a pop, they were a no-brainer.

I agree. I really love mine. I really like Old Navy's socks also. Shirts are also 2 for 10 there.

allcapitan

Reaction score
I have a bunch of old navy tee's. You have to baby them a little bit. Gentle cycle only. I just put them in the standard wash cycle, and they do pill rather easily, and the colors get washed out quickly.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You get what you pay for, I guess. At any rate, $7 still isn't a terrible amount of money for a tee. I'm careful with all of my clothing, so I'd still bet the ON tees will hold up longer than the flimsier Gap ones will.

I don't think extensive longevity can be expected with basic tees, regardless of where they're from. If you have a decent array of them, the best you can probably expect is a few months of regular wear before you need to replace them.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
W+H tees are stellar.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me some t-shirts that are similar in thickness + material of the Kirkland t-shirts but in black or grey?

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone's looking for super super slim, short, tiny t-shirts I recommend trying Armani Exchange, they are the smallest I have found so far, the quality is better than target and on par with designer mall brands (which is what it is), price is naturally a bit more but is still very reasonable, here are measurements of my XS AX v-neck..

Shoulders: 15.35" / 39 cm
Pit-to-pit: 15.74" / 40 cm
Length: 22.44" / 57 cm
Sleeve width: 3.93" / 10 cm

As you can see, tiny, so a small/medium/large would be proportionatly bigger but still very slim

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a couple of Lucky Brand tees that are great (not plain - Bob Dylan and the Who) - soft but thick, excellent collars. Normal $50-60 would be ridiculous, but at 50% off they were perfectly reasonable.

I think they're starting to carry them without any kind of graphics, which would be great. I don't care for most of the brands mentioned here - the material is too thin, collars stretch out or get messed up on Gap/BR/AA/etc.. J. Crew's broken-in tees run a close second to the Luckys I own - plus they come in 'tall,' which is a bonus.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some plain JC Penny/Arizona t-shirts for $5.00 a pop this week. I'm very pleased with them fit-wise and length wise (I find brands that target adolescents like Arizona and American Eagle do a better job of being reasonable in length for me.)

Naturally, it's not the highest qquality fabric, and it's not as gossamer thin as AA/Merona/BDG, but it's decent enough, comes in a bunch of fun colors, and is always on sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads