• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
That's funny, as a few people mentioned when I originally posted it that they liked the lack of dimple. The material and small width of the tie make a dimple nearly impossible. But I agree that a tie can look off without one.

Do you pull the back blade in the opposite direction as you tighten the knot? Guarantees double dimplets (read: perfection) every time.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I love this look too, and Barims always rocks it. Few nitpicks, the jacket sleeves are too short by my standards (for whatever my standards are worth, lol). The trousers could be much slimmer, then it would be rocked!
I think that by UK standards, the sleeves just about pass muster, but the buttonholes are functional, so alteration would be crazy difficult... I do have slimmer blue trousers actually, but those were more comfortable for the sitting around I did on jury service that day. Thanks, as always, for the commentary. And start posting pics again, dammit

EuropeanInterloper Redux

Reaction score
Your average Hermes tie takes effort to dimple. I think it has to do with the thickness of the material. I gave up on Hermes dimpleage quite a while ago.

EI

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims
I think that by UK standards, the sleeves just about pass muster, but the buttonholes are functional, so alteration would be crazy difficult... I do have slimmer blue trousers actually, but those were more comfortable for the sitting around I did on jury service that day. Thanks, as always, for the commentary. And start posting pics again, dammit
hehehe, i have some sportcoats and shirts at the tailors shop.....i figured people were getting tired of seeing how many different pairs of pants i could pair with a navy sportcoat, be patient
biggrin.gif

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is a study in collars:

CIMG0375.jpg

Love that collar and shirt.
vest-close.jpg

Up to no good- Doc being subversive again. Only the shirt+collar pass the conservative business dress test.
498679635_ndKbk-L.jpg

So, this is my question- that BB Black Fleece OCBD doesn't have the roll of others I've seen from you. Is that because it is still new, and needs to be beaten into submission and softness?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm trying to remember a single time in my life when a knot didn't dimple naturally and I can't.

You must practice the black arts.

- B

It does dimple when I tie it. It just doesn't dimple well, for whatever reason, so I undimple this one particular tie.

And, yes, you could call me a Black Artisan Fan.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Do you pull the back blade in the opposite direction as you tighten the knot? Guarantees double dimplets (read: perfection) every time.

I'm usually fine with my single dimple, as black magicians prefer just one, which you can see on my other pics. I just can't make it work on this one tie to my liking.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
It does dimple when I tie it. It just doesn't dimple well, for whatever reason, so I undimple this one particular tie.

That's like digging up Kirk Douglas and putting a wad of gum on his chin.

- B

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
halff.jpg

Needs a dimple?

Other then that i love this look!

This tie kicks butt

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
WAYWRN Looks Gone Wrong: Photographs Cropped to Protect the Guiltyâ„¢
Issue 2: March 2009

Welcome to the sophomore[onic] issue of WAYWRN Looks Gone Wrong: Photographs Cropped to Protect the Guiltyâ„¢. In this little corner of the Internet, we good naturedly examine some of the wrong turns, dead ends, and over the cliff sartorial trips made on the WAYWRN thread of the Men's Clothing sub-forum of StyleForum. Most WAYWRN photographs crop the head to protect the innocent; here, we crop more to protect the guilty.

Do you smell something?

I do...[sniff, sniff]...

Laissez les bons temps rouler:

or1ati.jpg

As we learned in the premier issue of LGW, WAYWRN is a distinctly lavatory-centered activity. The shame of posters usually pushes them into the realm of the public lavatory, away from family, friends, and the police. Artful practitioners, however, bring the public lavatory experience home. What is remarkable about the photograph above is the innovation of the public toilet stall...the double roll dispenser...brought right into the home environment. As a father of a toddler, I have witnessed astoninishly high turd-to-bodyweight numbers...but how high must that be to require two active rolls of tissue right at hand?

The answer? Really high.

More is Less:

Oh, those Italians. So carefree. "Say Mambo, Mambo Italiano, say Mambo..!" Sprezzatura, baby...we mere mortals, bereft of la dolce vita, crave it. The Italian aristo will subconciously practice it...undone button on a button down shirt there, maybe a watch worn on a shirtcuff ("Mama mia, how did it get there?") and of course, delicately made, unlined leather gloves in the breast pocket of an overcoat. You know, instead of a pocket square.

14sci6f.jpg

But oven mitts? That takes both an SF WAYWRN poster and almost superhuman stuffing strength.

WAYWRN: the Musical! [curtain rises, prelude begins]

Dem Bones

Ohhhhhhh...the hip bone!
is connected to the...thigh bone..!
The thigh bone is connected to the...
knee bone...!
The knee bone is connected to the...to the...?
to the...?
Boner-bone??

9glp8p.jpg

[Narrator's voiceover]

"First, there was the Segway. Then the SmartCar. Now, in WAYWRN: The Musical!, we present the immortal words of Steppenwolf!"

Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Lookin' for adventure
And whatever comes our way
Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space
BORN TO BE WIIILLD!

15q670z.jpg

[rousing chorus of America the Beautiful ends the show]

2nqxxyr.jpg

Teh Penis:

We still live in a male dominated society, at least here on StyleForvm if not in reality. It does not surprise me that Teh Penis is becoming a reccuring column here on Looks Gone Wrongâ„¢. Gentlemen, say hello to my little friend:

oh25cm.jpg

The BulgeHatâ„¢, developed in close cooperation among all StyleForvm-affiliated virtual vendors in a three hour project much like the Manhattan Project, is exactly what the Senior Member needs when seated. Zip fly or button fly: if you've got the goods, you need The Hat: the BulgeHatâ„¢.

Looks Gone Wrong Foodâ„¢ and Drink Column:

Food:

6oz8gm.jpg

Drink:

2qmptv4.jpg

Looks Gone Wrong ThinkPieceâ„¢: Internet Anomalynonousimity

Part 1: The Slice of Doom

Get out your magnifying glasses, pull up a chair, and spend the most illuminating hour of your life trying to grasp the scope of the Slice of Doom. In the Slice of Doom, we take a narrow, horizontal view of a vertical photograph. This month? Collateral Damage:

Most WAYWRN posters are quite shy. We lop off heads. We swirl faces. We blot out expressions. But...just our own:

34696px.jpg

Friends? Lovers? Brothers? Brother and sister? We will never know...but we do know what the WAYWRN poster's friend looks like. Bravo!

Part 2: He who watches. He who waits.

For every active WAYWRN poster there are a hundred SF posters. For every ten thousand SF posters there are three FilmnoirBuff.com posters using eight aliases. For every photo that appears in Looks Gone Wrong, a small furry animal is trapped into captivity.

But within all these important numbers, there is one abiding Truth: someone is watching you.

5d3wo3.jpg

Until next month, adieu.

- B

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classic!!! Bravo!!!

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks Vox.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads